Happy Juneteenth

26 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

FWIW @IUFLA I took no offense, but to this point - you're arguing quite a straw man here.  I never said always accept when someone said you're wrong.  My clear (or perhaps not...?) intent was to say that if someone (in this case, a black person) celebrates a holiday very particular to them and their culture, and you want to share in that joyous Holiday - do it in good faith!  Share joy!  If your good faith attempt at sharing joy is somehow offensive (you're not a part of that culture, perhaps, and maybe it's a day meant to show sorrow, not joy), accept that whoever is telling you it was offensive probably truly was offended, try to learn to not offend again, and move on.

I am sometimes shocked at how we can continue to find ways to argue points other people aren't making, but I suppose it's a message board, my friends ;) what are we to expect.

And I would respond that slavery was an abhorrent stain upon the American ideal that all men are created equal (and it can be debated how far we are along that path) and anyone with a decent bone in their body should celebrate it's abolition without worrying about any "cultural boundaries." As badly as some people don't want to believe, we did get to that seminal point together. So we should celebrate it together.

We're all Americans. Thinking along those lines simply divides us further. Over 100 years ago, the great Booker T Washington observed "There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs-partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs." He said that at a time where real racism was written into laws, but it's truer now more than ever even though we've overcome a lot of those hurdles.

Simply acknowledging that one group or one person has helped someone with a different ethnic background isn't a bad thing. I've had many mentors in my life, and not all of them had the same skin tone as me. I'm grateful for everything each of them did for me and I've told each of them what they meant to me. And I've also carried it forward.

I'm not going to bow to the Church of the Perpetually Offended because of some guilt complex academia tells me I should feel. 

• Like 4

I still say it should be "Emancipation Day" and a Federal Holiday means nothing.  Needs to be a National Holiday where everybody gets a paid day off work.  Just this man's opinion.

And on another note I have mentioned many of times that I am half Tennessean.  My Mom hails from that state.  Learned this little tidbit about my Mother's "place" on one of our many vacations growing up.  Momma graduated from Norma HS in Scott County, Tennessee.

https://www.history.com/news/6-unionist-strongholds-in-the-south-during-the-civil-war

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rico said:

I still say it should be "Emancipation Day" and a Federal Holiday means nothing.  Needs to be a National Holiday where everybody gets a paid day off work.  Just this man's opinion.

And on another note I have mentioned many of times that I am half Tennessean.  My Mom hails from that state.  Learned this little tidbit about my Mother's "place" on one of our many vacations growing up.  Momma graduated from Norma HS in Scott County, Tennessee.

https://www.history.com/news/6-unionist-strongholds-in-the-south-during-the-civil-war

That was a great read. That Scott County wasn't formally readmitted to Tennessee until 1986 is wild...

And I hope you didn't get offended when they called your ancestors "flinty." 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

When reading about this topic, it had had many names.  Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, Liberation Day, Emancipation Day.

I have a hard time denying people a holiday when they’ve been treated like shit for decades upon decades. Having a Juneteenth holiday does not impact me as a white male. And seeing people celebrating actual freedom (rather than the playtime freedom that so many cry about these days) brings me great joy. 

It’s like I don’t have to be gay to think Pride month is awesome. Not everything has to be about me as a straight white male. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I should have been more clear - I meant Flynn was strawmaning me, not you. But that’s what I get for drinking and posting. 

Interesting insights, thank you for sharing. 

Took a break from the internet and went and picked some berries with the wife. 

I didnt mean to strawman you and I'll admit I sometimes muddy my point. And @IUFLA said it best and no need to elaborate on that. 

Just my general worldview, it's the elites against all of us.  Everything they create to divide us just makes us easier to subjugate.  Think about it, how do a few hundred people keep 330,000,000+ million under control?  Continually divide us into smaller and smaller groups that hate each other. And while we are at each others throats they hoard the wealth by stealing it through taxation and inflation.  

That said, I'm off my soapbox now. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Took a break from the internet and went and picked some berries with the wife. 

I didnt mean to strawman you and I'll admit I sometimes muddy my point. And @IUFLA said it best and no need to elaborate on that. 

Just my general worldview, it's the elites against all of us.  Everything they create to divide us just makes us easier to subjugate.  Think about it, how do a few hundred people keep 330,000,000+ million under control?  Continually divide us into smaller and smaller groups that hate each other. And while we are at each others throats they hoard the wealth by stealing it through taxation and inflation.  

That said, I'm off my soapbox now. 

A tremendous amount of truth there...divide and conquer.  Make people hate each other and they are much easier to control and manipulate.  That's been a source of frustration of mine for awhile.  I'm absolutely not against celebrating the end of slavery in this great country.  We should be proud that a majority of the people in this country believed in freedom and equality enough to die for it, even in a relatively unenlightened age, comparatively speaking.  In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have commented on the name of the holiday since I didn't really have a stake in it.

As an aside, maybe we should find a historical reason to celebrate every day of the year so government employees would never work.  Imagine how productive the rest of us would be without government interference. 😜

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I have a hard time denying people a holiday when they’ve been treated like shit for decades upon decades. Having a Juneteenth holiday does not impact me as a white male. And seeing people celebrating actual freedom (rather than the playtime freedom that so many cry about these days) brings me great joy. 

It’s like I don’t have to be gay to think Pride month is awesome. Not everything has to be about me as a straight white male. 

Wait @Lostin76...who wants to deny anyone a holiday?

12 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s mostly the fussing over the name and other aspects of it. And I’m not in a mood to argue over it on the internet - even with you. 

To me the only downside was the bungling of the rollout which was ham handed...I work for the federal government, and I found out Friday was going to be declared a Federal Holiday on Thursday afternoon...And then I had to let my staff (all working remotely) know, some who had Friday as their regular day off, and got an in lieu of holiday on Thursday, which they had already worked...so they got Holiday pay for Thursday...

Other than that, as I said, I think it's something we should all celebrate together...Ending slavery was a great thing, any way you look at it...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

To me the only downside was the bungling of the rollout which was ham handed...I work for the federal government, and I found out Friday was going to be declared a Federal Holiday on Thursday afternoon...And then I had to let my staff (all working remotely) know, some who had Friday as their regular day off, and got an in lieu of holiday on Thursday, which they had already worked...so they got Holiday pay for Thursday...

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

As an aside, maybe we should find a historical reason to celebrate every day of the year so government employees would never work.  Imagine how productive the rest of us would be without government interference. 😜

As a self employed business owner, who works many of these holidays, I'm not a fan of an average of 44 paid days off for federal employees including 11 paid holidays (Forbes had this story). I like the idea of having a pool of holidays where each location, or even employee, can pick and choose the ones most relevant to them. If we are going to add more holidays, I think Casimir Pulaski day, which is officially observed in IL, should be next. Realistically, we cannot have holidays for everyone or we end up like @FKIM01 says above. Have to draw the line somewhere and I think it's safe to say we have too many now. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Reacher said:

As a self employed business owner, who works many of these holidays, I'm not a fan of an average of 44 paid days off for federal employees including 11 paid holidays (Forbes had this story). I like the idea of having a pool of holidays where each location, or even employee, can pick and choose the ones most relevant to them. If we are going to add more holidays, I think Casimir Pulaski day, which is officially observed in IL, should be next. Realistically, we cannot have holidays for everyone or we end up like @FKIM01 says above. Have to draw the line somewhere and I think it's safe to say we have too many now. 

I get a tad irked with what the Feds get off myself when everybody else has to work.  But that being said a majority of the private sector gives paid time off for such days as X-mas Eve, New Year's Eve, Good Friday, and the Friday after Thanksgiving.  Hell, I worked at one place where you got your birthday off.  

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Kinda funny...I worked in one government organization (USAF) where I worked holidays all the time, and never got an extra dime for it...

And I work for one where I now get 11 paid holidays, 208 hours of annual leave a year (8 per the 26 pay periods because I'm over 15 years of service...starting out you get 4 per, and after 5 years you get 6 per) and 4 hours of sick leave per pay period (that never changes)...

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Kinda funny...I worked in one government organization (USAF) where I worked holidays all the time, and never got an extra dime for it...

And I work for one where I now get 11 paid holidays, 208 hours of annual leave a year (8 per the 26 pay periods because I'm over 15 years of service...starting out you get 4 per, and after 5 years you get 6 per) and 4 hours of sick leave per pay period (that never changes)...

I'm pretty fortunate at the moment.  I work 36 hrs a week, 3 12's Fri-Sun. Phenomenal benefits, work half as much and make twice what I used to. 154 PTO hrs day 1. No 401K vesting period and 4% match. 8 and probably now 9 paid holidays, Awesome manager, how many can say that? 

That said, I realize I got lucky but I also worked shit jobs and off hours and spent my time in the trenches.  I got fired from my first job out of college and worked in a furniture factory for almost a year because it's what I had to do. Spent the  years driving 75 miles each way because every job I tried to find otherwise wanted 2nd or 3rd shift until now. 

• Like 4

On 6/23/2021 at 7:21 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I'm pretty fortunate at the moment.  I work 36 hrs a week, 3 12's Fri-Sun. Phenomenal benefits, work half as much and make twice what I used to. 154 PTO hrs day 1. No 401K vesting period and 4% match. 8 and probably now 9 paid holidays, Awesome manager, how many can say that? 

That said, I realize I got lucky but I also worked shit jobs and off hours and spent my time in the trenches.  I got fired from my first job out of college and worked in a furniture factory for almost a year because it's what I had to do. Spent the  years driving 75 miles each way because every job I tried to find otherwise wanted 2nd or 3rd shift until now. 

Not at Rose Acres anymore? Don't like the smell of dead chickens all day? Interesting 😂 

You privileged son of a gun. 

Edited by btownqb

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not at Rose Acres anymore? Don't like the smell of dead chickens all day? Interesting 😂 

You privileged son of gun. 

Man, it's a really long story. When I started there in 2012 I think? The first 3-4 years were great.  Money was fine work environment was fine. 

I worked in the microbiology lab. Shit went downhill in spring of 2016 when they hired a dental hygienist to be lab manager.  Let's be real, you know that place and nepotism runs deep. 

The last manager I had was previously a restaurant manager to run quality control over the facility.  

I Really did like spending time with Grandpa Jack, Jerry, and them Brewer kids. 

• Like 1

I dont where else to put this. I cant stand holidays anymore.  Growing up in a divorced family with both parents being remarried, Christmas was a chore. I was happiest at my dads and grandmas.

Anyway, my wife is bitching about the fact I flipped a coin with a coworker to decide who works July 4th. I lost, but I will still be home by 630 well before dark!

Her complaint, we can have an all day thing. Reality, its going to be hot and I will sit on my ass all day anyway til night comes.  

Ugh, I just cant win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I dont where else to put this. I cant stand holidays anymore.  Growing up in a divorced family with both parents being remarried, Christmas was a chore. I was happiest at my dads and grandmas.

Anyway, my wife is bitching about the fact I flipped a coin with a coworker to decide who works July 4th. I lost, but I will still be home by 630 well before dark!

Her complaint, we can have an all day thing. Reality, its going to be hot and I will sit on my ass all day anyway til night comes.  

Ugh, I just cant win.

Now are you talking July 5th or actually Sunday the 4th?  My company is open Monday, but employees were granted a floating holiday to use whenever.  One employee is actually taking the 5th off but most are taking advantage of the fact that we are open to get stuff done but the phones are set to go straight to voicemail.  Those are the most productive days for us.

56 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Now are you talking July 5th or actually Sunday the 4th?  My company is open Monday, but employees were granted a floating holiday to use whenever.  One employee is actually taking the 5th off but most are taking advantage of the fact that we are open to get stuff done but the phones are set to go straight to voicemail.  Those are the most productive days for us.

Why are you open when the markets are not?

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Why are you open when the markets are not?

Because we are frankly a little understaffed at the moment.  We aren't open for clients, but my employees actually look forward to these open/closed days when they can catch up on paperwork without phones and customers, so when there are bank/exchange/federal reserve holidays, we usually are in the office catching up.  Got a summer intern we are likely adding permanently next May and I'm hopeful that will ease the current workload a bit.