2023 Myles Colvin Commits to Purdue

go_iu_bb

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

IU has offered 6'5", 195lb guard from Heritage Christian HS Myles Colvin. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-hoosiers-offer-2023-in-state-guard-myles-colvin/

Not going to lie I was surprised you guys offered him. I think he’ll commit to Purdue sooner rather than later. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

1 hour ago, GC19 said:

This is a head scratcher for me.  Is it possible IU offered knowing full well they wouldn’t get him?  Some kind of recruiting chess game?

never know. everyone and their mother thought TK was automatic to IU. might as well throw your hat in the ring, because if you dont, there is 0 chance you get him rather than a small chance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GC19 said:

This is a head scratcher for me.  Is it possible IU offered knowing full well they wouldn’t get him?  Some kind of recruiting chess game?

He impressed at the top 100 and IU likely figured they would take a shot and see what happens. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ledies22 said:

never know. everyone and their mother thought TK was automatic to IU. might as well throw your hat in the ring, because if you dont, there is 0 chance you get him rather than a small chance.

You’re absolutely right regarding throwing your hat in the ring. But in this case, I think it was all but over once he got the Purdue offer. Wouldn’t expect it to drag out much longer IMO. 

7 hours ago, GC19 said:

I wonder if it’s possible that one of the IU coaches either forgot or didn’t know about his dad/family’s Purdue connection? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I wonder if it’s possible that one of the IU coaches either forgot or didn’t know about his dad/family’s Purdue connection? 

Guaranteed they knew that when they offered.  Who knows what kind of chess they are playing though.

• Like 1

In the article that started this thread he said he was offered by Fife and Woodson. Coach Woodson is new at this but certainly Dane Fife knows enough about recruiting to avoid offering a kid who is a mortal lock for Purdue. Those father/son college connections don't always work. If they did Sean May would have been a Hoosier. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosier Diamond Hands said:

In the article that started this thread he said he was offered by Fife and Woodson. Coach Woodson is new at this but certainly Dane Fife knows enough about recruiting to avoid offering a kid who is a mortal lock for Purdue. Those father/son college connections don't always work. If they did Sean May would have been a Hoosier. 

Or Glen Robinson Jr would have went to Purdue

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You’re absolutely right regarding throwing your hat in the ring. But in this case, I think it was all but over once he got the Purdue offer. Wouldn’t expect it to drag out much longer IMO. 

Do you think this for any reason other than his dad playing at Purdue?

Yes, I suppose it’s possible he could not go to Purdue, and yes, and he did have a great top 100 showing.  But I’ve seen him play several times in person against real teams. He didn’t jump out to me as an IU-caliber player. He has skills but struggles against the good teams, doesn’t play much defense, and doesn’t really make his teammates better. BUT, I’m not a scout or a recruiter. It’s entirely possible they see something I don’t. So I’ll just sit back and wait and see what happens. 

42 minutes ago, GC19 said:

Yes, I suppose it’s possible he could not go to Purdue, and yes, and he did have a great top 100 showing.  But I’ve seen him play several times in person against real teams. He didn’t jump out to me as an IU-caliber player. He has skills but struggles against the good teams, doesn’t play much defense, and doesn’t really make his teammates better. BUT, I’m not a scout or a recruiter. It’s entirely possible they see something I don’t. So I’ll just sit back and wait and see what happens. 

I honestly think he’s still more “potential” than player right now. He’s going to be a junior and is only 15 but is already 6’5 200 with physical gifts you can’t teach. I think that’s what excites coaches.