2023 Myles Colvin Commits to Purdue

go_iu_bb

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Do you think this for any reason other than his dad playing at Purdue?

That’s the primary reason imo. They’re a huge Purdue family (his sister is a freshman on the vball team) and we had been told if/when Myles got offered, we’d immediately be the team to beat. 

17 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I wonder if it’s possible that one of the IU coaches either forgot or didn’t know about his dad/family’s Purdue connection? 

This is very doubtful. While Myles is probably a strong lean towards Turdue anything can happen and it would be lazy if the Hoosier coaches didn't try and recruit him.

There are players all over the country that decided they didn't want to play for their parents alma mater.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s the primary reason imo. They’re a huge Purdue family (his sister is a freshman on the vball team) and we had been told if/when Myles got offered, we’d immediately be the team to beat. 

Got it. Frankly, the way you're talking about him as a lock I'd have expected it to be based on more than that. 

56 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is very doubtful. While Myles is a probably strong lean towards Turdue anything can happen and it would be lazy if the Hoosiers coaches didn't try and recruit him.

There are players all over the country that decided they didn't want to play for their parents alma mater.

This

You offer the players you want for your team and you recruit them. You put the appropriate amount of effort into them based on your interest in them and your perception of their interest in you.

Colvin got an offer but we have no idea how much effort we are going to put in him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is very doubtful. While Myles is a probably strong lean towards Turdue anything can happen and it would be lazy if the Hoosiers coaches didn't try and recruit him.

Playing for a rival school would be a tough situation IMO. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

My commentary was based off of what I’ve read from our site regarding his recruitment. That if/when Purdue offered, it was basically over. 

I mean... GBI isn't exactly known as a rational site. I understand you aren't used to very many legacy recruits but it's far from a given that just because someone is a legacy they will pick Purdue. 

35 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Exactly. It’s one thing to not play at your parents’s alma mater. It’s another to play for their rival… unless you’re Rob Phinisee 😂

But if that's going to really be an issue, it kind of says a lot about how the Colvins parent doesn't it? 

Didn't you grow up in an IU family?

35 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Exactly. It’s one thing to not play at your parents’s alma mater. It’s another to play for their rival… unless you’re Rob Phinisee 😂

You are using the "play" awfully loosely there.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean... GBI isn't exactly known as a rational site. I understand you aren't used to very many legacy recruits but it's far from a given that just because someone is a legacy they will pick Purdue. 

How isn’t it rational? I’d argue plenty of us wish they’d be more in the fanboy category but Brian usually is pretty honest about what our chances look like with prospects. 

Of course it’s not a given in legacy recruitments I’m just saying in this instance, it seems to be the case is all. Not sure what we’re arguing about lol. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

But if that's going to really be an issue, it kind of says a lot about how the Colvins parent doesn't it? 

Didn't you grow up in an IU family?

Oh I don’t think it’ll be an issue at all. I’m sure if Myles really wanted to go to IU over Purdue, Rosevelt and his wife would give him their blessing. 

I sure did. And luckily, my parents told me all along that I should go where I wanted, not go where they wanted me to go. I legit had friends in high school (children of IU grads) whose parents legit told them something along the lines of, “you can go to Purdue but if you do, you’re paying your own way.” Those same parents asked me where I was going and when I told them Purdue, they were like “and your parents are letting you?!” I’m so glad my parents didn’t act like that. I still can’t believe it lol.

I’ll be brutally honest: if my future kids want to go to IU, they’ll have my full blessing. They should do what’s best for them and not care if I went to the rival school. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Oh I don’t think it’ll be an issue at all. I’m sure if Myles really wanted to go to IU over Purdue, Rosevelt and his wife would give him their blessing. 

I sure did. And luckily, my parents told me all along that I should go where I wanted, not go where they wanted me to go. I legit had friends in high school (children of IU grads) whose parents legit told them something along the lines of, “you can go to Purdue but if you do, you’re paying your own way.” Those same parents asked me where I was going and when I told them Purdue, they were like “and your parents are letting you?!” I’m so glad my parents didn’t act like that. I still can’t believe it lol.

I’ll be brutally honest: if my future kids want to go to IU, they’ll have my full blessing. They should do what’s best for them and not care if I went to the rival school. 

Depending on the major I'd encourage my kid to go to Purdue over IU. And I'm a lifelong Hoosier. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hoosier Diamond Hands said:

Depending on the major I'd encourage my kid to go to Purdue over IU. And I'm a lifelong Hoosier. 

Same, but if my kid was a high level recruit I don't think I'd send him to Painter. He's had one guy stick in the league ever.

I just don't think a guy who played pro sports for a long time is going to make the highest priority for his kid with similar aspirations to be to go to the same school that he did. 

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Same, but if my kid was a high level recruit I don't think I'd send him to Painter. He's had one guy stick in the league ever.

I just don't think a guy who played pro sports for a long time is going to make the highest priority for his kid with similar aspirations to be to go to the same school that he did. 

So it’s Painter’s fault his players didn’t stick in the NBA? Swanigan would’ve still been in the league if he had gone to MSU? His job isn’t to get guys to stick in the NBA. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So it’s Painter’s fault his players didn’t stick in the NBA? Swanigan would’ve still been in the league if he had gone to MSU? His job isn’t to get guys to stick in the NBA. 

No, his job is to win games. But if you're a kid who wants to stick in the NBA you can't honestly look at Purdue and say you're getting as good of prep for being a pro as you would at several other schools. 

It's honestly possible Biggie would've been taught some of the traits he needed to stick around in the NBA at another school. It's somewhat telling a guy like Xavier Tillman can carve out a role in the NBA and Biggie couldn't. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

No, his job is to win games. But if you're a kid who wants to stick in the NBA you can't honestly look at Purdue and say you're getting as good of prep for being a pro as you would at several other schools. 

It's honestly possible Biggie would've been taught some of the traits he needed to stick around in the NBA at another school. It's somewhat telling a guy like Xavier Tillman can carve out a role in the NBA and Biggie couldn't. 

Dumb take.  Painter got Biggie in the best shape of his life and turned him into an inside/outside big which helped turn him into a draft pick. Without that, he would have never been one.  When they enter it becomes about them.  They need to have the self control which Biggie didn’t have to succeed.  How many top 50 players has Painter had? I think four and 75% of them made an NBA roster and the one that didn’t transferred after his frosh year.  Purdue has had a couple others as well outside of the top 50.  Let’s not be dumb here and think there is some master sauce.  It’s about getting talent.  Why do you think Calipari gets so many and K does? There is no secret sauce.  Get five stars and top 50 kids and the more you get.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Comparing Biggie’s situation to Tillman’s is night and day different. You don’t think Painter/Barnes were able to teach him traits to stick around? Biggie’s issues weren’t basketball-related. They were based off personal/mental health stuff which isn’t his fault based on how he grew up. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Comparing Biggie’s situation to Tillman’s is night and day different. You don’t think Painter/Barnes were able to teach him traits to stick around? Biggie’s issues weren’t basketball-related. They were based off personal/mental health stuff which isn’t his fault based on how he grew up. 

One word......... purdoobie

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

You guys are right, if my goal was to make the NBA I would definitely go play for Matt Painter. How silly of me to think a guy with those aspirations may at least want to look at playing for someone with a better track record in that regard. 

That ain't a Painter thing, that is a Purdue thing...

• Like 1