New Tom Davis Article

jmcb07

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I left the corporate world for the start-up world a few years ago, and honestly I don't think I could go back to wearing khaki's and dress shirts every day. Most days is jeans and a button down or sweater/seatshirt, but in the summer I sometimes even go shorts and flip-flops. Like many have said, as long as the work get done, who cares? But also, I will obviously dress up more if we have meetings with outside people, but even then it probably just means dress shoes with my jeans instead of sneakers.  

We are slowly -- slowly -- moving in this direction in the law firm world, you know, the world of inflated egos where high dollar suits / ties and the "well heeled" shoe thing is supposed to reflect that you're an attorney.

Those of us around 50 are still the not-so-gray-hair "younger" guys pushing jeans and business casual. At my firm we're business casual -- but no short sleeves (why??) -- jeans only on Friday (God help you if they're frayed, and again, why??), and dress shoes and jackets every day (why??). It's like tug of war, lol.

I'm going to wear a short sleeve shirt tomorrow, just because. :cheers:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I left the corporate world for the start-up world a few years ago, and honestly I don't think I could go back to wearing khaki's and dress shirts every day. Most days is jeans and a button down or sweater/seatshirt, but in the summer I sometimes even go shorts and flip-flops. Like many have said, as long as the work get done, who cares? But also, I will obviously dress up more if we have meetings with outside people, but even then it probably just means dress shoes with my jeans instead of sneakers.  

That's pretty much where I am today...lots of jeans and button shirts. I think I flat out work better when I'm more comfortable.  We are just wrapping up a big 5-month client conversion where I worked a bunch of 18-hour days and just abandoned the old dress code for comfort.  I met with numerous clients during that time, some who were very wealthy and exactly zero of them made an issue of us wearing jeans in the office.  That settled the question for me.

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I worked on Wall St for a few years and back in Indy as a broker for another 10 before cashing out and starting my own business. I swore that day (minus weddings, funerals, events) I would never wear a suit again. 10 years later...I'm that guy when it's 20 degrees who is wearing shorts....and it feels awesome. 

I started off having to wear suits and ties for 10+ years. Hated it. Nothing worse than a 90+ degree day and you are in a suit. Eventually moved to business casual and clients now feel more comfortable and relaxed as do I! I can tolerate slacks and dress shirts so not sure when and or if I'll make the move to jeans and dress shirts or polos. Now I only wear suits for weddings and funerals. 

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I worked on Wall St for a few years and back in Indy as a broker for another 10 before cashing out and starting my own business. I swore that day (minus weddings, funerals, events) I would never wear a suit again. 10 years later...I'm that guy when it's 20 degrees who is wearing shorts....and it feels awesome. 

I don't even own a suit. I had one but accidentally left the coat at a hotel several years back when traveling and haven't bothered to get a new one. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I don't even own a suit. I had one but accidentally left the coat at a hotel several years back when traveling and haven't bothered to get a new one. 

I had a dozen or so that (as others said) that were collecting dust. Found out about a program via the VOA in Indy where suits/shirts/ties can be donated to either veterans or offenders coming home from prison who need clothes for interviews or whatever. I dropped them off there. Have a couple left just in case.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I had a dozen or so that (as others said) that were collecting dust. Found out about a program via the VOA in Indy where suits/shirts/ties can be donated to either veterans or offenders coming home from prison who need clothes for interviews or whatever. I dropped them off there. Have a couple left just in case.

That's awesome! Great program. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

in the law firm world, you know, the world of inflated egos where high dollar suits / ties and the "well heeled" shoe thing is supposed to reflect that you're an attorney.

Don't forget about driving slow, over-priced cars in your description :)

35 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

They show a lack of attention to detail.  Like t-shirts on the bench.

What if the tats are sleeves? No longer the t-shirt look. 

:coffee:

You all should work for a Japanese company, we have uniforms!! Worse there is definitely a sense that some departments are better than others because of the different uniforms! The only good thing is you don't have to worry about what you're  going to wear each day. :P

Archived