Trouble in Madison....

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/wisconsin-men-s-basketball-seniors-confronted-greg-gard-in-secretly-recorded-meeting-here-s-what/article_bf1afb44-c2fe-5983-86fb-4c107e776e15.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_

I debated if this actually deserved it's own thread or if it should go in the catch all thread we have, but it seems as if there is some turmoil in Wisconsin. Not sure if there is any long term fallout or not, but it seems like they have culture issues. I'm also a bit torn on the fact that someone leaked that recording...

• Thanks 1

This line from the article was laughable. Brad Davison being treated unfairly by the refs? Are you kidding me? 

Potter called out Gard for not having players’ backs, specifically Davison’s. Players — and some fans — felt Davison was being treated unfairly by Big Ten officials.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, BGleas said:

This line from the article was laughable. Brad Davison being treated unfairly by the refs? Are you kidding me? 

Potter called out Gard for not having players’ backs, specifically Davison’s. Players — and some fans — felt Davison was being treated unfairly by Big Ten officials.

He must not have been getting as many of his flops called as fouls as he did 6 years ago. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Brad Davison... a fan favorite.  There is at least one Hoosier, Tyra Buss, who is a fan of his. 

• Sad 1

This is one of the softest things I have ever seen. Gard never really did anything egregious here, certainly not to the extent of recording him without his consent. It's a bunch of players who "feel like he doesn't care about their futures", and the leaker even admits they had a positive, emotional conversation where Gard heard them and players felt like progress was made, and somebody STILL leaks this to the media. An absolutely pathetic betrayal of trust.

Reuvers saying "he doesn't feel like coach cares about him" when he chooses to live in a condo 20 minutes from campus while the rest of the team lives right by the Kohl Center and whines that he "doesn't feel part of the family". Meanwhile, he's been a four year starter averaging 3 rebounds per game as a seven footer. HILARIOUS that he would question Gard not caring about his future when he thinks his future has the NBA in it.

We have had a rough time over the years but good lord this would drive me off the edge if this was our program right now. Don't appease these players who support this. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, Davidson is a filthy player.  He deserved every call against him and many more.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

That is pure comedic gold right there. I applaud anyone who can say that with a straight face.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I’ll try to respond to this without getting too much onto the edge of what the mods think is political.

We are in the era of hypersensitivity to anything that doesn’t make people feel warm and fuzzy. The generation of kids in question is heart and soul in the middle of many of the “movements “ our society finds itself trying to navigate through. The so-called “adversity “ these guys think they are dealing with is laughable as compared to the conditions faced by some of the previous generations. We live in a time where too many young people have been coddled and pandered to. The sense of entitlement here is fair evidence of this.

God forbid that these guys take personal responsibility for their futures and stop whining that they aren’t being supported. 

I lived in the Madison area long enough to know that there is absolutely a part of the population who is in the corner of the players and staunchly backs the “participation ribbon “ mentality. In a progressive city like this, these players have a platform that wouldn’t play as well in some other places.

I was only allowed to like this post once. This x 1,000,000!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I’ll try to respond to this without getting too much onto the edge of what the mods think is political.

We are in the era of hypersensitivity to anything that doesn’t make people feel warm and fuzzy. The generation of kids in question is heart and soul in the middle of many of the “movements “ our society finds itself trying to navigate through. The so-called “adversity “ these guys think they are dealing with is laughable as compared to the conditions faced by some of the previous generations. We live in a time where too many young people have been coddled and pandered to. The sense of entitlement here is fair evidence of this.

God forbid that these guys take personal responsibility for their futures and stop whining that they aren’t being supported. 

I lived in the Madison area long enough to know that there is absolutely a part of the population who is in the corner of the players and staunchly backs the “participation ribbon “ mentality. In a progressive city like this, these players have a platform that wouldn’t play as well in some other places.

I completely agree with this post the world isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Some of these kids depending on socioeconomic status probably have never had to work a day in their life my parents would never let me get away with any of it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Want warm and fuzzy? There’s a Build-A-Bear at the local mall.

I fully realize that the days of Bob Knight’s methods are over, and in some circumstances, that may not be such a bad thing. But there's a hell of a big difference between supporting someone and handing things to them on a silver platter. You can walk that line of being a hardass without it being abusive. 

I'm sure it's been said many times, but I'm glad we have someone like Mike Woodson that knows where that line is. You've heard the word "family" brought up a lot when it comes to the culture he's building. He's going to give players every tool they need to succeed. But there's also zero doubt as to who mom, dad, judge and executioner is within this family. The telling thing to me was the story about Dale Davis meeting with Coach and his only words to Trayce after walking out were "You're staying".  How does it get any better than that?

If that happened here, I'll gladly take another year of Kyle Taber-types starting again. And I think Coach Woodson would oblige.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.
G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Want warm and fuzzy? There’s a Build-A-Bear at the local mall.

I fully realize that the days of Bob Knight’s methods are over, and in some circumstances, that may not be such a bad thing. But there's a hell of a big difference between supporting someone and handing things to them on a silver platter. You can walk that line of being a hardass without it being abusive. 

I'm sure it's been said many times, but I'm glad we have someone like Mike Woodson that knows where that line is. You've heard the word "family" brought up a lot when it comes to the culture he's building. He's going to give players every tool they need to succeed. But there's also zero doubt as to who mom, dad, judge and executioner is within this family. The telling thing to me was the story about Dale Davis meeting with Coach and his only words to Trayce after walking out were "You're staying".  How does it get any better than that?

If that happened here, I'll gladly take another year of Kyle Taber-types starting again. And I think Coach Woodson would oblige.

Pretty sure it was his step father that said that, not Dale. Still cool though.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

And Potter specifically mentions Davison, yet Davison decides to return for another year of emotional trauma. Maybe Wisky should send guys on their way after 4 years instead of letting them hang around for 5 or 6.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Bob Knight must have just read this article, and I can hear him alternately swearing and laughing from here.

20 years ago, it took a leaked video of the coach choking out a player to take him down.  Now all it’s going to take is leaked audio of seniors sobbing during a group therapy session.  Would be hilarious if it wasn’t so sad.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1