Olympics

54 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Well, I doubt A LOT of vaccinated people are spreading the virus bc there’s only a 5-10% chance that a vaccinated person contracts the virus at all. I’m not advocating one way or the other, but I live with a physician, and she along with any other physicians I’ve ever heard talk about it suggest that if we can get to herd immunity (70%?) then we’d be in good shape. With that said, the new variant is throwing us a curve ball bc Pfizer has done studies that suggest the vaccinated are only 66% safe compared to 95% safe from the regular COVID. 

Which is what I mean. Most numbers coming out are simply hospitalizations...the small sample size we have of people still getting tested to know how many vaccinated people are getting this new stand of covid who has had the vaccine is so small it's probably impossible to know how effective at preventing the new strands. When you are assymptomatic there is no reason to think you should get tested...especially if vaccinated. Not saying it's a huge percent but there is no doubt in my mind vaccinated are spreading it likely...it's just the vaccine is doing its job by them not getting sick but not necessarily stopping them from catching one of these variants and passing it along unknowingly. 

I'm becoming increasingly skeptical that will make it through the Olympics, especially in team sports such as basketball.  Too many positive tests.  With Beal and Lavine testing positive, how do they avoid exposing the rest of the team.  Combined with an increased number of breakthrough infections among the vaccinated, I don't see how we get through the next 3 weeks without a whole bunch of chaos.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm becoming increasingly skeptical that will make it through the Olympics, especially in team sports such as basketball.  Too many positive tests.  With Beal and Lavine testing positive, how do they avoid exposing the rest of the team.  Combined with an increased number of breakthrough infections among the vaccinated, I don't see how we get through the next 3 weeks without a whole bunch of chaos.

The IOC is probably one of the most corrupt organizations in the world. The show will go on...no matter what....no matter how much it costs Japan who is already losing billions of dollars. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

The IOC is probably one of the most corrupt organizations in the world. The show will go on...no matter what....no matter how much it costs Japan who is already losing billions of dollars. 

It will come down to the advertisers:

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor said Monday that it will not air any Olympic-related TV advertisements going forward, despite the automaker being a top-tier sponsor.

President Akio Toyoda will not attend the opening ceremony, the company also said.

The decision signaled that the automaker is distancing itself from the Summer Olympics and Paralympics, which are set to kick off Friday but are facing lukewarm public sentiment for being held amid a surge in coronavirus cases in Tokyo.

The fear that participation in the unpopular Games could hurt, rather than boost, their public image is beginning to be shared by other corporate sponsors. Food company Ajinomoto said last month that it will not be running Olympic-related commercials in the month of July.

"As for our commercials in August, we will make our decision by the end of July," an Ajinomoto representative said.

Various Toyota executives had expressed frustration over the slow decision-making process of the International Olympic Committee and other organizers over spectator bans, and the lack of communication with the major sponsors.

"Too often we learn information from the news," one executive vented to aides. "What's the role of sponsors?"

Consumers have turned critical of the Tokyo Olympics. Negative tweets containing the words "Olympics" and "Toyota" outpaced positive tweets containing those words earlier this month, according to a Nikkei study using Social Insight, a social media analytics tool developed by Tokyo-based startup User Local.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Tokyo-2020-Olympics/Top-sponsor-Toyota-pulls-all-Olympic-TV-ads-in-blow-to-Games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I am very curious how NBC puts together their broadcast schedule. How does a water polo match between two European countries get shown over a USA basketball game (result notwithstanding)? 

Was it a women’s match? I’d rather watch women’s (under)water polo than Olympic basketball. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Wow, Lilly King got the bronze in the 100m breaststroke. Good news is another American won the gold, but King hadn't lost in something like 5 years. 

I saw that the girl that won is from Alaska.  There is only 1 Olympic size pool in that state.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

US swimming not as dominant as in the past 

I think the delay from 2020 to 2021 hurt the US a lot. That extra year when people are trying to peak every 4 years and guys/gals trying to hold on to dominance for 5 more years...just the window is small sometimes to remain at your peak. I watched a lot of upsets not just with the US but other big name swimmers from other countries that struggled that were thought to be favorites coming in based off previous showings. It is definitely easier to be the hunter than the hunted! A lot of hungry athletes out there!

• Like 2