Olympics

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mean that's fine and all.. but she's not above criticism, much like Andrew Luck for quitting. 

She quit. Warranted or not, I have no clue and I'm not here to truly pass judgement because we obviously have no clue of what's going on. 

But.. she quit. 

I mean I guess but she was last to go for the team on the vault and she scored the lowest out of all of them which actually put them in the hole they had to climb out of in the first place. With her quitting or pulling out or whatever she did probably actually saved the team getting a medal. If she really didn’t have it today and would have kept falling or whatever she probably would have actually cost the US getting a medal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I mean I guess but she was last to go for the team on the vault and she scored the lowest out of all of them which actually put them in the hole they had to climb out of in the first place. With her quitting or pulling out or whatever she did probably actually saved the team getting a medal. If she really didn’t have it today and would have kept falling or whatever she probably would have actually cost the US getting a medal. 

So then was she using “mental health” as an excuse because of poor performance? No idea, but sounds like that is possible. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

So then was she using “mental health” as an excuse because of poor performance? No idea, but sounds like that is possible. 

Could be. I just know the way gymnastics works in the Olympics it’s a four person team but you can only send three people per event or apparatus or whatever it’s called and all three scores count. Obviously she was going to do all events and she probably would have been awful and that would have probably cost them the medal because she was in her feelings and would have most likely fallen a lot…you get the idea. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUskim said:

But.. she quit, as you said. 

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

So Simone Biles pulled out because of mental health issues? I can't imagine what her mental health will be like after the fallout from that. Really going to take a hit to her brand back home. Yikes.

Dont think it hurts her brand at all.  

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

She's the biggest Olympic athlete since Phelps... of course this was going to cause a whirlwind. 

I don't think she's some scum or anything like that at all... incredible person and an incredible athlete. 

But, she's still not above criticism. 

So, you feel she should have competed...no matter what her state of mind? Is that correct?  Just curious.

I'm watching the gymnastics right now, and this honestly might be the weirdest thing I've ever seen at a sporting event. 

It was weird how she left after actually competing and then weird how she came back and stayed in the arena. Not criticizing, just saying it was a really odd scene. 

I don't know that the starting pitcher telling the skipper he's done is a good analogy. This is more like if LeBron James opted out of Game 7 of the NBA Finals after a poor first quarter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

So, you feel she should have competed...no matter what her state of mind? Is that correct?  Just curious.

I think she should have had her mind right 100% before the Olympics. You're in or you're out. 

Again.. I don't think this defines her. 

This is coming from someone who had a best friend commit suicide. Doesn't make me a know it all on the subject just giving you background. 

I hope there's a comeback story and it'll be the best 30 for 30 ever!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I mean that's fine and all.. but she's not above criticism, much like Andrew Luck for quitting. 

She quit. Warranted or not, I have no clue and I'm not here to truly pass judgement because we obviously have no clue of what's going on. 

But.. she quit. 

She's officially in the Scottie Pippen category to me.

Im watching too.  She said, "I don't trust myself."  She has the guts to come out and tell her teammates that she was done and to cheer them on.  It actually made me feel better about the situation.  The look on her face is unusual.  Very little smiles and a face of doubt, very much not like her.  Even before she bowed out, one of the announcers said he has literally never seen her make the mistake she did.  Something wasn't right. 

Ive had anxiety for a period in my life and it manifested as stabbing chest and shoulder pain.  I got sick and had to shut my life down for 2 weeks and it all went away and I had a revelation that I wasn't able to control everything exactly the way I wanted.  Read this quote that said, "will this matter in 5 years?  If not, don't worry about it."  Sure people will talk about this in 5 years but will it matter?

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think she should have had her mind right 100% before the Olympics. You're in or you're out. 

Again.. I don't think this defines her. 

This is coming from someone who had a best friend commit suicide. Doesn't make me a know it all on the subject just giving you background. 

I hope there's a comeback story and it'll be the best 30 for 30 ever!!!!

That could quite possibly be one of the biggest Olympic comeback stories in a while. She’s 24 now I think she would be around 27 at the next Olympics and to come back and be dominate again in gymnastics at that age would be quite impressive in my opinion. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUskim said:

That could quite possibly be one of the biggest Olympic comeback stories in a while. She’s 24 now I think she would be around 27 at the next Olympics and to come back and be dominate again in gymnastics at that age would be quite impressive in my opinion. 

Remember, she's not out of this Olympics yet. She still has the individual all around and each individual apparatus event.  

She did not announce that she was done in this Olympics, just that she was done today. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Remember, she's not out of this Olympics yet. She still has the individual all around and each individual apparatus event.  

She did not announce that she was done in this Olympics, just that she was done today. 

Oh yeah you’re right. I forgot about that. My fault. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

She’s finished. She lost her nerve.

“I just don’t trust myself as much anymore. I don’t know if it’s age, I’m just more nervous when I do gymnastics.

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Someone commented that in the qualifying round she had a “poor performance.” For her standards it was poor. But she still outperformed every other athlete in the competition 

Actually going back to the US trials she made errors that you never saw from her.  She was still the best but her confidence was not the same even then.

Losing confidence in gymnastics is just not the same as in basketball, baseball, etc...  I mean you're talking about breaking your neck if you make a mistake with the amazing flips and stuff they do.  

I kinda hope she pulls out of the individual and all around at this point.  Just can't see her doing well with her mental state.  

Go Hoosiers!!!