Olympics

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I absolutely was (it's a slow night here at the office).  Aside from that, I don't think I've seen an underwater shot in water polo yet.  I read earlier that NBC was going to make a conscious effort to stymie all the pervs who watch women's Olympic sports for {cough} {cough} questionable reasons.

Lol.  Then I'm out.

A couple of days ago I was changing channels and briefly stopped on the olympic broadcast.  They were showing the women's synchronized diving, specifically the 2 Americans that I believe took the silver medal.  Anyway as the camera followed them after their dive let's say it was quite entertaining - very high-cut suits and little need for the imagination!

• Haha 1

Ok, so I know nothing about beach volleyball or how the rules on replay review are set up. But imagine a coach's challenge in any American sport overturning a call late in a game, only to have the other coach challenge the overturn and get it switched back to the original call. That's basically what happened to Sarah Sponcill and Kelly Claes near the end of their loss to Canada. 

Edited by TheWatShot
  • Confused 1

On 7/27/2021 at 9:24 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

She’s finished. She lost her nerve.

“I just don’t trust myself as much anymore. I don’t know if it’s age, I’m just more nervous when I do gymnastics.

Old comment but saw it and thought I would chime in. My wife once told me that around 23-25 is when people really start to understand risks and mortality.  

So would make sense.  Gymnastics are super dangerous not a game of inches. A game of millimeters. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Old comment but saw it and thought I would chime in. My wife once told me that around 23-25 is when people really start to understand risks and mortality.  

So would make sense.  Gymnastics are super dangerous not a game of inches. A game of millimeters. 

Evidently Biles trust herself now since she is going to compete in Tuesdays balance beam finals.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

So in other words her mental health isn't as important to her as money is. You always have a choice.

I think the definition of “mental health” has expanded. She lost her nerve and focus and was rattled by an uncharacteristically poor performance. Only she knows what’s going on in her head. As has been pointed out, gymnastics is dangerous. If she got rattled and afraid, is that a mental health issue?Baseball players have been hit by pitches and never been the same. Kickers and golfers get the yips. Is that mental health?

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If she got rattled and afraid, is that a mental health issue?

Well since she pulled out of the competition that is what everybody has been attributing it to. 

Simone Biles is the latest athlete vocal about mental health (nbcnews.com)

Now all of a sudden when money might be in danger mental health doesn't matter. You know the big mega-hype comeback story like you said.

Edited by Hoosier51

13 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Well since she pulled out of the competition that is what everybody has been attributing it to. 

Now all of a sudden when money might be in danger mental health doesn't matter. You know the big the big mega-hype comeback story like you said.

I get it. Wasn’t suggesting that you had expanded the definition of mental health. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Now all of a sudden when money might be in danger mental health doesn't matter. You know the big the big mega-hype comeback story like you said.

To be fair, if I was going to lose multi millions, it would probably affect my mental health as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm all for someone taking care of their mental health but she really shouldn't be competing for anything. If you could not finish competing as part of the team you shouldn't be able to compete as an individual.

More important than Biles not competing is she took a spot on the team from someone else.

There's another young lady out there somewhere who's dream was to compete in the olympics and they may never have another opportunity. Someone else wanted to compete for a gold and represent their country. If Biles had any idea she was struggling prior to the olympics she should have stepped away at that point. As it turns out, she stole someone else's dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

US women's soccer loses to Canada. Will play for the bronze.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say they were distracted...focused on things other than athletic competitions.  It's really hard to feel sorry for them even though I know it's not fair to paint the entire team according to the actions of a few.

• Like 4

On Biles...no doubt she's had a crisis of confidence, but if I were going to guess an event she would try, it's the balance beam.  Not that it's an easy event, but it's got much less air amplitude than the other three events, so less chance of getting lost in the air and having a bad landing.  I see both sides and I'm not gonna dog her here.  I'll save that for the fools more interested in disrespecting our flag and national anthem than preparing to compete at the highest level.

39 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I think it's fair to say they were distracted...focused on things other than athletic competitions.  It's really hard to feel sorry for them even though I know it's not fair to paint the entire team according to the actions of a few.

I think they just never got acclimated to Tokyo's time zone. Three of their games started at 4 a.m EST. They lost two of them and tied in the other, failing to score in all three. I know it's probably more fun to think they were too busy planning their next protest to focus on winning, but I think the time change was a pretty big factor. 

Edited by TheWatShot
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I think they just never got acclimated to Tokyo's time zone. Three of their game started at 4 a.m EST. They lost two of them and tied in the other, failing to score in all three. I know it's probably more fun to think they were too busy planning their next protest to focus on winning, but I think the time change was a pretty big factor. 

As opposed to the time change for the CANADIAN team? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I think they just never got acclimated to Tokyo's time zone. Three of their games started at 4 a.m EST. They lost two of them and tied in the other, failing to score in all three. I know it's probably more fun to think they were too busy planning their next protest to focus on winning, but I think the time change was a pretty big factor. 

Give me a break. Everyone had to deal with the time change. They are world class athletes, apparently. They should be able to figure out the time change.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I really don't want this to get too political or to denigrate anyone and their views so I won't argue with anyone but this is just my view from watching them over the past 5-6 years.  I honestly think this team holds on to their vocal leaders and past stars much too long. You have certain players lifted up being the face of the the team and women's movement that honestly have been surpassed by younger ladies coming up and I don't think we fielded our best team. I have no proof but it seems certain agendas and promoting certain voices trumped what the team is to represent (best of American women's soccer). It's not just canceling those that don't agree with their movements the leaders on the team and inside the organization want to promote like a few years ago pushing out players like Jaelene Hinkle https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7237053/Christian-soccer-player-Jaelene-Hinkle-allegedly-cut-U-S-national-team-religious-beliefs.html  but maybe keeping on and lifting up certain players that voice and represent those views over simply other more qualified women who haven't built their social platform etc to the level of some others. 

I think if those running it would be honest they have let players remain around much past their best by date. The team needs a total refresh and a lot of the old guard needs to be moved on and the team needed to promote younger more talented ladies. However, I think they fear the backlash and movements that many of these older players are voicing and the inevitable push back that would come with it. At this point I'm not sure the culture around the team is very healthy...from the equal pay lawsuits to the social agendas things are becoming about anything but representation of the best women for the best country in the world.

• Like 2

On a brighter note and I know this isn't the Olympics but I watched a wonderful USMNT match against Mexico for the Gold Cup last night. Even though we weren't using our A players and not even maybe our best B squad we still managed to pull out the W and come away as Concacaf champions! That's two big wins in a row against Mexico and dare I say the mens program may very well be finally making some progress!

• Like 1

Just now, TheWatShot said:

They've scored 5 total goals in 5 games. Not exactly blowing anyone away. 

You do realize that in soccer it isn't always about how many goals you score. The Canadians have a wonderful defensive team. Goals scored and heck even possession isn't always the best way to measure dominance in soccer. Plenty of the best teams in the world don't dominate both sides of the pitch. Lot's of teams with strong defensive players even will be happy to sit back and defend once they get a goal lead.

I think there are plenty of other factors (even outside of their focus on social issues) that explain US failures. This team is very very well traveled and have played all over the world in every imaginable time zone. That is probably the least imaginable factor. You can say practice and time playing together due to Covid, keeping on older players past their prime, poor tactics, poor execusion, even bad luck but I think it's pretty naive to blame it on the time zone as a primary factor....the very same factor that most teams needed to adjust too. The US team simply looked poor in almost every single one of their matches. They got beat to balls, out physical, and just plainly out played for almost the entire tournament. They were lucky to even get out of their stage. 

• Like 1