Olympics

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

She's also not above praise. Congrats on your performance last night, Ms. Biles!

I'm very happy for her....she perservered and over came her emotions to finish no matter what the scoreboard was going to say at the end of the night. It was about competing and triumph over her self doubt. Amazing and admirable story. I'm glad because I truely felt if she left the games without finishing and getting back out there she would live a life knowing that was her last chance...last great opportunity and she let her emotions and self doubt overcome her and ruin so much she worked for. Something to be said for finding the courage to carry on and finish. She can be proud how she overcame those obstacles and I think this will be very helpful for her healing and moving forward the rest of her life. I'm very happy for her and very happy she was able to represent us. It was a sad story...definitely not worth celebrating as some wanted to...but with a happy ending in which her redemption we can all get behind.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

First off I’m so happy for Simone’ that she was able to overcome,  even though it was obvious she was not at full confidence!

Second what about Tamyra Mensah-Stock! Kind of reminds me of 68 with all the political protests going on and George Forman after winning Gold walked around the ring with a 4*6 American flag waving.

She’s just much more exuberant!!!!!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 4

If IU were a country competing in the 2021 Olympics:

Gold Medal Count - tied for 12th

Total Medal Count - tied for 15th

- Excluding Brazil, tied with the entire Continent of South America

- Trailing the entire Continent of Africa by just 3 medals

As the Olympics are nearing conclusion, a few countries hoping to catch up with IU include:  Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Romania, Austria, Denmark, Greece, Norway, Turkey, Israel, and every country on the African Continent.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, olsontex said:

If IU were a country competing in the 2021 Olympics:

Gold Medal Count - tied for 12th

Total Medal Count - tied for 15th

- Excluding Brazil, tied with the entire Continent of South America

- Trailing the entire Continent of Africa by just 3 medals

As the Olympics are nearing conclusion, a few countries hoping to catch up with IU include:  Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Romania, Austria, Denmark, Greece, Norway, Turkey, Israel, and every country on the African Continent.

The medal count for IU is inflated versus that of a country because 3 of its medals are double counted. A country would have 2 less gold and 1 less silver for 2 swimming relays (Apple and Pieroni were on each) and synchronized diving (Capobianco and Hixon).

That said, IU is doing quite well in the medal count. Last I saw, it was 3rd amongst universities.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 6:03 PM, Drroogh said:

First off I’m so happy for Simone’ that she was able to overcome,  even though it was obvious she was not at full confidence!

Second what about Tamyra Mensah-Stock! Kind of reminds me of 68 with all the political protests going on and George Forman after winning Gold walked around the ring with a 4*6 American flag waving.

How can you not love rooting for someone like that?!!!

(U.S. women's soccer, take note!)

Love me some George Forman, too.  I mean, a guy that can make me feel healthier about eating a quarter pounder is a hero in my eyes.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

The medal count for IU is inflated versus that of a country because 3 of its medals are double counted. A country would have 2 less gold and 1 less silver for 2 swimming relays (Apple and Pieroni were on each) and synchronized diving (Capobianco and Hixon).

Killjoy.

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2021 at 6:03 PM, Drroogh said:

George was and still is one of my favorite athletes. Still as proud American today as he was almost 50 years ago.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2021 at 9:19 PM, Sea Turtle said:

Megan Rapinoe and her allies on the team and association can have any political views they want. I don't think anybody really has a problem with that.

The problem is that the Megan Rapinoe wing took the US women's team, hijacked it, and made it all about her and her political views.

Everybody else on the team was clearly under pressure to fall in line. 

Another issue is that the women's team holds on  to there veterans for far too long. Half of this team is over 30. Rapinoe is 36 and coming off the bench, Long is 39. 

Yeah, those old players just can't get the job done.  🙄

The men's basketball team, still hoping to have one of its games televised in 2021, beat Australia 97-78. Twitter was fun when Australia had a 15 point lead in the second quarter. Rematch with France for the gold medal tomorrow night at 10:30. 

Baseball will face Japan in the gold medal game. 

Alix Klineman and April Ross will play for a gold medal in beach volleyball this evening. 

Edited by TheWatShot

44 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The men's basketball team, still hoping to have one of its games televised in 2021, beat Australia 97-78. Twitter was fun when Australia had a 15 point lead in the second quarter. Rematch with France for the gold medal tomorrow night at 10:30. 

Baseball will face Japan in the gold medal game. 

Alix Klineman and April Ross will play for a gold medal in beach volleyball this evening. 

Kind of funny how back when Team USA was losing in basketball the vultures were circling...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Anyone watching the gold medal men's BBall game between USA and the Aussies?

Embarrassing..... USA is getting beat in every facet of the game.

I had a blast from the past when Dante Exum's name came up. 

Really, I've been impressed with this team since the loss to France. Getting the players from the Finals and more practice time together has obviously helped. It would be nice if they could stop falling behind by double digits in the first half, but they had a 36-10 run against Spain and a 60-22 stretch in this game. I wasn't sure this group would have the ability to dominate like that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah, those old players just can't get the job done.  🙄

Oh geez. They stepped up and didn’t want to go out with a dud I give them credit…but this was curtains for them and it was proof in the whole of their olympics. I mean Kobe went out with 81…but let’s not act like he still had it night in and out. Special players can put up special performances…just like the women’s captains but what does it matter if it happens every 5th or 6th match and they are already eliminated.

7 hours ago, rico said:

Kind of funny how back when Team USA was losing in basketball the vultures were circling...

I haven’t seen the men’s team saying or doing much signaling. Honestly I haven’t had a problem other than they simply just weren’t playing well and were kinda going after Pops offense. I know the level of competition has gotten much better but they have no excuse for some of the showings they had.

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I haven’t seen the men’s team saying or doing much signaling. Honestly I haven’t had a problem other than they simply just weren’t playing well and were kinda going after Pops offense. I know the level of competition has gotten much better but they have no excuse for some of the showings they had.

Would it really be so terrible if they only took the silver?   😊

• Sad 1

Just now, jv1972iu said:

Would it really be so terrible if they only took the silver?   😊

I’m rooting for the Gold like I was every single one of the ones I agree or don’t agree with in their social messages. I just don’t root for using the very privileged this country is providing for them to represent us as a nation to further divide and take shots at us. In the end I hope all our Americans win and in that moment see how proud all of us as Americans are of them and unifying behind them and maybe they will realize this country isn’t as bad as they think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1