Olympics

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m rooting for the Gold like I was every single one of the ones I agree or don’t agree with in their social messages. I just don’t root for using the very privileged this country is providing for them to represent us as a nation to further divide and take shots at us. In the end I hope all our Americans win and in that moment see how proud all of us as Americans are of them and unifying behind them and maybe they will realize this country isn’t as bad as they think.

Okay.  😊

• Like 1

Was a good win for team USA! Nice to see them persevere after some early adversity. 

I think we all minimized how short of a time this team had to come together, while also playing early without Holiday, Middleton and Booker. 

I'll be a homer here too, not sure why Tatum wasn't on the floor more, especially down the stretch. He was clearly USA's best player after Durant, while Booker and at times Lillard really weren't playing well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rico said:

And all the circling vultures have left...until 2024.

I didn't watch.  How much were they even on air?  I went to bed last night with it on but wasn't staying up.  From what I understand, the team didn't try to make a bunch of political stances like the women's soccer team(leader).  

I couldn't name more than 4 guys on the roster, that's how much I care.  Dont have a reason for not caring other than its middle of the summer.  Durant is the only guy I can think of that I dont care for, used to be my favorite player when he was young and coming up.  Money changed him.  

Im glad they won.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I didn't watch.  How much were they even on air?  I went to bed last night with it on but wasn't staying up.  From what I understand, the team didn't try to make a bunch of political stances like the women's soccer team(leader).  

Yeah i didn't really hear anyone going on about the mens team other then about how they weren't playing that great their first couple of games. So i am not sure what circling vultures there were lol.

Like you i am glad they got it together and won the gold.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

Interesting how Dame Lillard has struggled in the Olympics. He's the starting point guard playing the most minutes at that spot, but shooting below 40% from the field and the 3pt line and just 3rd on the team in assists. 

A lot of players have said they hate the ball. I know it seems petty but for a finesse player that shoots lots of 3s a tiny difference can make a big deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/tokyo-olympics-fiba-basketballs-impacting-team-usas-shooting-why-one-ex-nba-player-calls-it-a-huge-deal/amp/

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

A lot of players have said they hate the ball. I know it seems petty but for a finesse player that shoots lots of 3s a tiny difference can make a big deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/tokyo-olympics-fiba-basketballs-impacting-team-usas-shooting-why-one-ex-nba-player-calls-it-a-huge-deal/amp/

I saw that article and I think there's some validity to it for some guys. I even think the ball being sort of multi-color can impact guys and it also looks a little slick. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We haven't talked about them much, if at all, but our women's basketball team is really fun to watch. 

They're up 20 in the Gold Medal game against Japan. Bird and Taurasi will be 5-time Gold Medalists. 

They mentioned that in the history of the Olympics, no country has ever won gold 7 straight times, in any sport. Really impressive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

They mentioned that in the history of the Olympics, no country has ever won gold 7 straight times, in any sport. Really impressive. 

It really is. Bird and Taurasi have been doing it so long that they won a gold medal playing with their coach from this year. 

I watched nothing but volleyball and US mens basketball. Beach v-ball is easily my favorite summer sport since it is hard to keep up with the pro leagues outside of the olympics.  Indoor isn't far behind. Wish there was more pro leagues on TV.   I played in beach leagues in the 90s probably 3 nights a week and pick up games on other nights.  There were 2 beach volleyball bars in Dallas near Valley Ranch where the Cowboys resided.

The men need new blood.  3 of the 4 players were in the 40's. The golden era of Karch then Dalhauser is over.  

So happy for April Ross. She got a silver 9 years ago in Walsh-Jennings/Misty May last gold then teamed up with Walsh Jennings to a get a bronze in Rio.  she was so close to a gold medal match in Rio but they lost to Brazil in what was maybe most excitin beach volleyball match I ever seen.  Remember the Brazil kid crying after every point the US would score. I don't remember but maybe Duda was on the Brazil team. Germany beat Brazil in that one for the gold in Rio.  April Ross now has Gold, Silver and Bronze. Yeh the Claese/Sponcil ending sucked but they are young and should have a good 2 or 3 more shots.  Love the Latvian team.  Watched the college Beach finals and Tina Graudina was a star for USC and is on the Latvian team.  Hope those 2 stay a team.   I think she and her teammate (Kracenova sp?) are like 23. Hope to see them battle Claes/Sponcil.  April will be 42 in next Olympics.  Will she return? Klineman is one of the best on the beach.  Would be interesting to see who teams up with if Ross gives it up.  

The womens indoor team coached by Karch won their first gold ever.  They really trashed everyone once they got past group play and overcame some injuries. They beat both Serbia and Brazil both teams that took them out in the past.  They should be really good next time also. There seems to be a lot of college stars waiting in the wings to replace those who move on. 

I thought the mens team would do better.  They got eliminated early.    

• Like 2