Olympics

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Would have been nice of the softball team to bring their bats to the Olympics. Shut out in the gold medal game, scored 10 runs in 6 games. 

Did you see the fluke DP they hit into in the 6th!? Agree with you as a whole, but that could have been two runs right there!

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Did you see the fluke DP they hit into in the 6th!? Agree with you as a whole, but that could have been two runs right there!

Incredibly fluky, but also fatal. There was still an inning to go, but the game was done after that play. I had a feeling this team's lack of offense would catch up with it. I saw the last two innings of a game the other night, and one of the broadcasters said the team's batting average in the Olympics was .156. WTF? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Which people on social media are the most annoying? 

A) "Why aren't we winning gold in everything? We're the USA!"

B) "These athletes don't represent us; they only care about themselves!"

C) "The U.S. only gets gold medals because of steroids!" (these people usually live in Europe or Australia)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

C) "The U.S. only gets gold medals because of steroids!" (these people usually live in Europe or Australia)

D. Anyone on social media 

Honestly I've deleted all mine about a year and half ago. 

Just now, dgambill said:

So Simone Biles pulled out because of mental health issues? I can't imagine what her mental health will be like after the fallout from that. Really going to take a hit to her brand back home. Yikes.

If you watched any of the interviews with her earlier this week, she was a victim of all the abuse stuff going on in the gymnastics program. If she is having mental health issues surrounding that, the brand back home really doesn't matter.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

A. I saw a dude on FB say that 3 swimmers who got bronze medals instead of gold were "failures." Calling someone that is top 3 in the world at their sport/event a failure is absolutely ridiculous. Especially coming from someone that likely hasn't done anything significant in their life.

14 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

A. I saw a dude on FB say that 3 swimmers who got bronze medals instead of gold were "failures." Calling someone that is top 3 in the world at their sport/event a failure is absolutely ridiculous. Especially coming from someone that likely hasn't done anything significant in their life.

Michael Phelps has two Olympic bronzes.  Guess he's a failure also. 

42 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If you watched any of the interviews with her earlier this week, she was a victim of all the abuse stuff going on in the gymnastics program. If she is having mental health issues surrounding that, the brand back home really doesn't matter.

I didn’t see it and aren’t judging…. But didn’t she compete up until yesterday. Confused at how all of a sudden she’s having issues. 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I feel for anyone that has suffered such horrible trauma. Of course everything else is secondary. That said pulling out of the Olympics mid team competition because you are not performing up to standards is probably going to be looked at questionably. Surprised she even decided to compete at all if she was suffering and obviously it's terrible for her that this just now got so bad she couldn't compete after showing no ill effects through competitions over the past several years leading up.

All that still won't change the fact she was competing to be seen as the greatest female gymnast of all time and it will be incredibly difficult to be viewed that way bowing out on the team. All I was getting to was simply the point...her mental health will be tested even more by withdrawaling. Sad that what she has been through will rob her even more by not finishing the fight and walking away knowing you did your best and not having to live with regrets.

I love Simone Biles.  I worried her head had reached maximum ability to enlarge without over inflating when she sewed rhinestones into the shape of a GOAT on her uniform for the trials.  It was too long later when she stumbled twice, something she was not doing for a long time, performing basically flawlessly for years.  

She still is the GOAT but its not a good look regardless of how wrecked she may be emotionally.  

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Remember doing a 15k obstacle course race at 60. It was put together by Navy Seals. High speed walked most of the race. Rounding a corner met up with a course worker. I said don’t worry about me I’m not moving fast enough to run anybody over. He said you’re moving a hell of a lot faster than everyone sitting on their couch. I think he was one of the Seals!

Simone wish nothing but the best!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Don’t forget her brother was just recently acquitted of murder! Family issues definitely at play, and let’s not forget all the couch lumps slowly sinking into the cracks calling her a failure and worse!

I’ll ask again. And not directed at just you, but why did she compete all the way up to the team finals, then decide she couldn’t do it? If she’s been carrying a heavy load on her shoulders, she couldn’t handle a few more days? Just confused at why it took so long. Timing certainly doesn’t add up or look good.

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’ll ask again. And not directed at just you, but why did she compete all the way up to the team finals, then decide she couldn’t do it? If she’s been carrying a heavy load on her shoulders, she couldn’t handle a few more days? Just confused at why it took so long. Timing certainly doesn’t add up or look good.

You do realize the team event is the first event, right?

36 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Not directed at you, but why do we feel entitled enough to deserve the answer to that question? She did what she felt was best for her mental health. Can’t it be left at that? Giving the reason that she already did is not exactly an easy thing to do. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Because we only see what NBC wants us to see, there could be stuff going on behind the scenes. Why could this happen now, and why can’t she tough it out? Someone who has gone through a trauma like she has could have triggers that bring things back. Different for each person and maybe we’re buried for a long time. I don’t think it’s something she can necessarily control 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

You do realize the team event is the first event, right?

I did not! I thought she competed the day before or a couple days before (no?) deciding she wasn’t going to compete anymore. Again, I was asking a question I knew nothing about. I wasn’t judging at all, just wondering. 

26 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Not directed at you, but why do we feel entitled enough to deserve the answer to that question? She did what she felt was best for her mental health. Can’t it be left at that? Giving the reason that she already did is not exactly an easy thing to do. 

I understand what you’re saying. Just was saying it was odd timing to, just the day before or whatever it was, to announce she wasn’t competing. That seems like she’s letting her “team” down, but as already established I don’t know enough about the situation or how mental trauma with something like that could work. 

7 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I did not! I thought she competed the day before or a couple days before (no?) deciding she wasn’t going to compete anymore. Again, I was asking a question I knew nothing about. I wasn’t judging at all, just wondering. 

She competed Sunday in the qualifiers, finishing first in just about everything but performing somewhat poorly for her.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

It's quite possible that she was worried about severely injuring herself. Her head obviously wasn't in it and she was having trouble landing the stuff she normally does. A bad landing or a slip could result a bad injury - possibly one that is career ending and/or life long. If she were to land on her head or neck, for instance, that could result in paralyzation or death. Unlikely, but possible.

She also does tricks that are more difficult and dangerous than the competition. The judges are expecting her to perform those so might penalize her (even if not consciously) if she were to change her routine to perform easier ones that she'd have a better chance of landing even if not totally focused. 

This, of course, is just speculation on my part so I might be wrong but it makes sense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I mean that's fine and all.. but she's not above criticism, much like Andrew Luck for quitting. 

She quit. Warranted or not, I have no clue and I'm not here to truly pass judgement because we obviously have no clue of what's going on. 

But.. she quit. 

• Like 2