2023 CG Jakai Newton IU bound baby!!

20 hours ago, ba43056 said:

We are going to have some very physical guards. 

6'3"-6'5" 200lbs+......

I'm not a huge fan of 3 guard line-ups but a 6'4" 200 lb athlete with a 6'10" reach is a different story. 

I'm all for 3 guard lineups....but two of them better be able to shoot the lights out!

• Like 2

2 things will really br interesting to see. 

The rotation and how that may shape who returns. 

How much of talent in the post is Duncomb. 

I honestly think Banks will be a stud at the 3 and his minutes there versus the 4 hinge heavily on the 4 years of Duncomb. 

It looks like a 4 man class for next year which raises questions about TJD and who are the other 3? Johnson is the most likely, if we are successful, to get into the league with Davis, but then its anyone's guess. Stewart is an interesting guy possibly in that conversation.

The extra year really makes things interesting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ba43056 said:

2 things will really br interesting to see. 

The rotation and how that may shape who returns. 

How much of talent in the post is Duncomb. 

I honestly think Banks will be a stud at the 3 and his minutes there versus the 4 hinge heavily on the 4 years of Duncomb. 

It looks like a 4 man class for next year which raises questions about TJD and who are the other 3? Johnson is the most likely, if we are successful, to get into the league with Davis, but then its anyone's guess. Stewart is an interesting guy possibly in that conversation.

The extra year really makes things interesting. 

Thompson, Phinisee, Jackson-Davis, Koop, Johnson, and Stewart could all be gone. I wouldn’t count on any of them coming back and if they do then it’s a nice surprise. 

Edited by DC2345

47 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Coach Woodson will definitely have to be hitting the portal at the end of the season. 

With the amount of talent that hits the portal every year, it just isn't the issue it once was. You can find any player, senior to freshman, that can fill your need year to year. Certainly not a certain or sustainable position to be in, but if we have success this year, we should be able to grab top talent and not skip a beat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Don't be surprised if Tamar is one and done.

Considering the analysis data available, people should be surprised if Tamar leaves for the NBA draft after his freshman year.

Anything is possible and he is talented, but to be so impressive that he gets feedback that he's among the top 80-100 prospects who can reasonably expect to be drafted would be him significantly outperforming expectations. If he outperforms expectations, than that would qualify as a surprise.

Of course I haven't accounted for DMB knowing a heck of a lot more than all of us.😉

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Why Miller Kopp? He's just going to be a junior and he's not NBA level talent. 

This will be his 4th year of school. He should be a senior but he's got a covid year. All those guys will have been in college at least 4 years and there is no guarantee that they will come back. 

9 hours ago, DC2345 said:

This will be his 4th year of school. He should be a senior but he's got a covid year. All those guys will have been in college at least 4 years and there is no guarantee that they will come back. 

OK...I hear you there, but unless he's ahead of schedule (and maybe even if he is), I could see him easily taking the 5th year to round out his degree and maybe take some grad level classes on IU's dime.

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

OK...I hear you there, but unless he's ahead of schedule (and maybe even if he is), I could see him easily taking the 5th year to round out his degree and maybe take some grad level classes on IU's dime.

It’s possible. I was just stating that IU has several guys who have an extra year available but it doesn’t mean that they’ll use it. I’m sure at least 1 or 2 will but they might not for whatever the reason may be. 

15 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I imagine the NLI will dramatically increase the number of guys who stick around as long as possible. 

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I imagine the NLI will dramatically increase the number of guys who stick around as long as possible. 

You might be right but outside of the $1,000,000 outliers (Bama QB etc) how many players are making serious or meaningful cash? The NIL is still in its infancy but I’d be interested in how much a Kopp, Geronimo, X Johnson type of player makes via the NIL this year and if it is enough to impact players decisions (going pro, into the portal, graduating, etc).

In regards to a player like TJD. Let’s say he is projected to be a fringe second round player in the next draft. He (or similar players in his situation as I have no idea how motivated he is by the money) might be more likely to stay in school if he is earning $300k via the NIL but enter the draft if he is only making 10k. I just have no idea how much second round type college players are making via the NIL at this point

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I'd say anyone that stands to benefit from the NLI in any significant way will have offers to play in the G-League, NBA, or overseas.

Honest question...do we even have to offer another year under scholarship if we don't want a senior back for a 5th year? They would have gotten their degree already so it isn't like we are doing them wrong. Just have a private convo that it's in everyone's best interest to use that year elsewhere unless we want them to stay.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'd say anyone that stands to benefit from the NLI in any significant way will have offers to play in the G-League, NBA, or overseas.

I don't know the figures, but if it was me and the money was close, I'd rather be making NIL money playing at a basketball school like IU than the relative anonymity of the G League or overseas...

Looked it up and the average G League player makes $35K...

From what I've been able to glean about overseas salaries, the average is not much more...

Edited by IUFLA