2023 CG Jakai Newton IU bound baby!!

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This STAFF man.....unreal. Top 60-70 out of state guys headed into their junior year are playing musical chairs with IU scholarships. They don't want to be without one when the music stops.

Congrats to Coach Woods/Yasir,etc....all hitting it out of the park. 

And I think that's the most impressive thing...A kid from Georgia, and he and his family are so impressed by the staff/atmosphere/community/players that he basically commits on the spot...

Says a lot about the guy who's running our program...

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And I think that's the most impressive thing...A kid from Georgia, and he and his family are so impressed by the staff/atmosphere/community/players that he basically commits on the spot...

And the comments that Newton made about Coach talking just about life, world beyond basketball....being very humble...who knew we had this in our hip pocket all along and never emptied the chamber. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

IU is out recruiting Purdue. Since they beat us out on Kaufman, IU has landed Bates #30 '21, Hood-Shifino #20 '22 & possibly Newton #67 '23. Best guy Purdue had landed since then has been Colvin #80 in '23 (a Purdue legacy).  Hopefully, MW can do something with the talent. But so far (without coaching a game) what Woody has done is impressive. 

We've basically always out recruited them with only a few exceptions....we have to OUT PLAY them on the court is the issue. They've out shot, out hustled, out worked, and the players have out improved ours too much lately. I don't care about the numbers until it shows up on the scoreboard....then I'll brag about it. Seen to many primadonnas come to IU for the BIG NAME and PLATFORM etc etc.....Just Win Baby!

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

We've basically always out recruited them with only a few exceptions....we have to OUT PLAY them on the court is the issue. They've out shot, out hustled, out worked, and the players have out improved ours too much lately. I don't care about the numbers until it shows up on the scoreboard....then I'll brag about it. Seen to many primadonnas come to IU for the BIG NAME and PLATFORM etc etc.....Just Win Baby!

This. We’ve had a few upticks here and there but IU has consistently outrecruited us. 

Congrats on the pick-up with Newton. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

This. We’ve had a few upticks here and there but IU has consistently outrecruited us. 

Congrats on the pick-up with Newton. 

In all honesty I like when Purdue is good...it's good for the state...HS ball and great rivalry games atmosphere etc. Just of course I want us back in the driver seat lol.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Where was Crean on this kid?? So in the last what 6 months we've landed Banks, Newton, and possibly Clowney from his back yard....IU is certainly special.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Where was Crean on this kid?? So in the last what 6 months we've landed Banks, Newton, and possibly Clowney from his back yard....IU is certainly special.

Georgia was in his final 3 as was Vanderbilt, but can you imagine meeting Coach Crean and Coach Woodson in the same week and making THAT comparison?

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• bluegrassIU changed the title to Jakai Newton (2023) IU bound baby!!