2023 CG Jakai Newton IU bound baby!!

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know the figures, but if it was me and the money was close, I'd rather be making NIL money playing at a basketball school like IU than the relative anonymity of the G League or overseas...

Looked it up and the average G League player makes $35K...

From what I've been able to glean about overseas salaries, the average is not much more...

I'm not sure even Trayce is making 35k at IU....is there a way to find out?

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know the figures, but if it was me and the money was close, I'd rather be making NIL money playing at a basketball school like IU than the relative anonymity of the G League or overseas...

Looked it up and the average G League player makes $35K...

From what I've been able to glean about overseas salaries, the average is not much more...

It's easy to say that but if it's a guy that is ready to make a professional career there are benefits to being able to focus on basketball 24/7 and not have to worry about school. Especially if you're a guy that has a degree already finished up that you can fall back on. Every situation will be different and there will be a number of factors in every situation. 

• Like 2

In the past, what has been the percentage of players that are done with school but decide to come back vs those that decide to hang it up despite having more eligibility?

The NIL is only going to make the percentage of players that stay go higher unless they can go pro.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

It's easy to say that but if it's a guy that is ready to make a professional career there are benefits to being able to focus on basketball 24/7 and not have to worry about school. Especially if you're a guy that has a degree already finished up that you can fall back on. Every situation will be different and there will be a number of factors in every situation. 

Of course every situation is different, but a post graduate degree would be an attractive option...

And we're only talking about 1 year...

5 hours ago, iuswingman said:

I think Woodson might be expecting some players won't end up fitting what he wants to run and will end up being asked to move on.

Although this thread is officially derailed.  

Don’t think that’s the case especially at this point in time but he could change his mind of course. After the season it’s always possible 

Edited by DC2345

18 minutes ago, BDB said:

Where are you getting these numbers?

I would assume that his prediction is based off the assumption that IU is a larger brand than the average Div 1 school and our basketball team in general has a greater following. Thus, skewing the value higher for our athletes. As far as I know no numbers have been shared for our athletes.

1 hour ago, 02Hoosier said:

I would assume that his prediction is based off the assumption that IU is a larger brand than the average Div 1 school and our basketball team in general has a greater following. Thus, skewing the value higher for our athletes. As far as I know no numbers have been shared for our athletes.

Yep I have heard TJD alone is at 6 figures but that’s just talk. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s average it’s likely our athletes skew higher.  

Agreed. That average is basically useless info IMO.

It is for a short period of time (only July) and doesn't say how many athletes it covers (only says D1 average is $471 median is $35). It is likely completely skewed by the small number of large deals and large number of small/zero$ deals that occurred in July (how does it account for a massive deal signed in June that pays out over time?)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Don't think CMW or AD will tolerate that at IU. 

Yeah, I think that's where having Woodson and Armond Hill, and to an extent Matta because of his experience with high level college players, helps a lot. Woodson and Hill are used to dealing with players, granted older and more experienced, that have competing priorities. That NBA experience should really allow them to deal with players and their NIL commitments and efforts in a player-friendly, yet professional way. 

Then you have Matta who has experience dealing with guys like Oden, Conley, Sullinger, etc., who were college players that most likely had "opportunities" when they played. 

IU has a really experienced staff for this stuff. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ba43056 said:

A concern that I have is the angle of self-promotion by young players. The distraction that could come from a player trying to earn more through NIL by means other than actions leading to wins. 

On the other hand mentored correctly, the players can learn some valuable non basketball skills! Marketing, promotion , money management and several others!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

A little dated from January, but it’s the latest I could find.

Jakai Newton leading the way

Just to help y’all understand, GA has 7 school classification’s. For instance the two High Schools in the rural county I live in are both 1A. So The article saying his school was ranked number 1 in 7A is saying something!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3