Florida Condo Collapse

Saw the headline this morning that mentioned 1 dead.  Didn't really register with me,  Now, looking at this more on my lunch hour, I have a feeling this is going to be a significant tragedy before it is all said and done.  51 unaccounted for, and considering it happened before 2:30 in the morning and you have to assume most people were home at the time.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/florida-building-collapse-surfside/

Video showing teenage boy being pulled from the rubble by firefighters.  You have to think he has family members that are still in there. 

Saw an interview with the Mayor where he talked about how significantly pancaked the rubble is and there just didn't seem to be many voids.  That's not good.

Edited by 5fouls

Seeing a video like the one above always makes me pause and reflect how we often take firefighters for granted.  I'm pretty sure we have some firefighters that post on this board.  I want to take a moment and thank you for what you do.  It shouldn't take video from a tragedy like this to make us appreciate you, but sometimes we need a reminder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Can this be natural causes?  This looks like a professional demolition.

The Mayor publicly said he did not think it was a bomb. 

But, I agree.  When I watched the video, it looked exactly like videos I've seen of demolitions.

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Can this be natural causes?  This looks like a professional demolition.

Apparently there was work going on in the building and major work across the street. Since this happened during the night, I doubt any work was actively going on at the time of collapse. It will be interesting to see what is identified as the cause but that will likely take some time. How old was this building? Does seem possible it could have been foul play. 

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Apparently there was work going on in the building and major work across the street. Since this happened during the night, I doubt any work was actively going on at the time of collapse. It will be interesting to see what is identified as the cause but that will likely take some time. How old was this building? Does seem possible it could have been foul play. 

I watched a video where they discussed the age of the building.  But, for the life of me i cant remember if they said it was 40 or 60 years old.  It was one of those two.   

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Reacher said:

A sinkhole being discussed as a possible culprit

That's what came to my mind as well. Or some type of catastrophic foundational failure. 

I thought initially that it could be some kind of Central gas line explosion, but there doesnt appear to be enough secondary fires.

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Something doesn't seem right about this. 

This building survived hurricane Andrew and when that hurricane happened my grandma and granpa had a beach house that survived that storm. 1992 if I remember correctly.  

The more I look at it that was a controlled demolition.  Look at the flashes of light in the building on the right. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Not sure the number of units and how many were boomed or occupied but if there is only 99 dead I would call that a miracle.

That is gut wrenching.  There will be little to no survivors.  What a nightmare.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

The more I look at it that was a controlled demolition.  Look at the flashes of light in the building on the right. 

Those flashes could be electrical buses being ripped out. 

Could. 

But either that is the absolute convergence of every variable somehow being perfectly wrong at the same time,or that was intentional. And precision drops like that take at least some degree of planning.

What scares me is if that was intentional...what if that was just "practice"?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Could. 

But either that is the absolute convergence of every variable somehow being perfectly wrong at the same time,or that was intentional. And precision drops like that take at least some degree of planning.

If it was intentional, do you think there will be a cover-up?  Will be a lot of panic among the population if it was intentional.

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Could. 

You may be right but the building on the left was fine. I dont know.  

I guess we wait to see if someone in the collapsed buildings had dirt on the Clintons.  Jk, dont ban me please. 

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You may be right but the building on the left was fine. I dont know.  

I guess we wait to see if someone in the collapsed buildings had dirt on the Clintons.  Jk, dont ban me please. 

How about "....had dirt on *insert controversial figure of your choice here*.."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If it was intentional, do you think there will be a cover-up?  Will be a lot of panic among the population if it was intentional.

Speaking for myself, I hope not. But I've always been one to get the worst tasting medicine out of the way first. 

That said, the one thing I'll guarantee you of.....there will be some crackpot conspiracy theories about it regardless.

I know that Paraguay isn't a country that immediately comes to mind when you think of dysfunctional countries from a political point of view, but when family of the Paraguayan President was in the building when something like this happens, it has to give you pause.

Paraguay: 6 nationals missing, including Paraguayan First Lady Silvana López Moreira's sister, brother-in-law and their three children.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I know that Paraguay isn't a country that immediately comes to mind when you think of dysfunctional countries from a political point of view, but when family of the Paraguayan President was in the building when something like this happens, it has to give you pause.

Paraguay: 6 nationals missing, including Paraguayan First Lady Silvana López Moreira's sister, brother-in-law and their three children.

Seems I am hearing that quite a few foreign nationals were in the building?

Question for those following closely. Are they saying the number of people missing or unaccounted for are the number of people who are there? Or supposed to be there? Miami and that area in general...is obviously a port for second or third residences. These missing people could be somewhere else? Vacation or otherwise?

Just curious how they are arriving at the missing people number.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Question for those following closely. Are they saying the number of people missing or unaccounted for are the number of people who are there? Or supposed to be there? Miami and that area in general...is obviously a port for second or third residences. These missing people could be somewhere else? Vacation or otherwise?

Just curious how they are arriving at the missing people number.

I'm not 100% sure, but I did see an interview yesterday which reference the building manager indicated that most of the units were occupied.  Now, I suppose some of those may be seasonal rentals where someone is not there 100% of the days in a year.  So, yes, it's logical that an 'occupied' unit may not have had anyone in at at the time, if that makes sense.

It is interesting that they went from 51 unaccounted for when it first happened yesterday to 99 yesterday afternoon to 159 now.  That tells me the 51 was more than likely the number of units that were occupied, and the 159 may be a more accurate number based on 2-4 people per unit.

• Like 1