Florida Condo Collapse

The most sobering thing of all is the likelihood that there are people who are alive in that rubble now that won't be alive when they are found.  I just can't imagine.  It goes against human nature, but, at this point, if I had a loved one who was missing, I would be praying that they died in the initial collapse.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I did see an interview yesterday which reference the building manager indicated that most of the units were occupied.  Now, I suppose some of those may be seasonal rentals where someone is not there 100% of the days in a year.  So, yes, it's logical that an 'occupied' unit may not have had anyone in at at the time, if that makes sense.

It is interesting that they went from 51 unaccounted for when it first happened yesterday to 99 yesterday afternoon to 159 now.  That tells me the 51 was more than likely the number of units that were occupied, and the 159 may be a more accurate number based on 2-4 people per unit.

Thanks for quick follow up. Just was curious. My neighbor's family has a shared condo near there but I'd say it's actually occupied about 4 months of the year. Just trying to figure out how this number keeps climbing. Such a tragedy either way. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I know that Paraguay isn't a country that immediately comes to mind when you think of dysfunctional countries from a political point of view, but when family of the Paraguayan President was in the building when something like this happens, it has to give you pause.

Paraguay: 6 nationals missing, including Paraguayan First Lady Silvana López Moreira's sister, brother-in-law and their three children.

Wow.  In this condo?  

I'm wondering if the "missing" are truly still missing, or if some/most have been found and are in the process of being identified/families contacted. I know thats a lot of rubble to pick through, but you'd think they'd have found a few more people than this, living or dead.

23 hours ago, Reacher said:

The building was in the process of being recertified. Some engineers had to have peeked in the basement. Wonder what there initial thoughts were?

And now we know that an engineer reported significant deterioration of concrete as well as structural problems to the building managers in 2018.  Simply a bad original design regarding the slab foundation and waterproofing not being sloped either at all or correctly, I believe.  No need for conspiracy theories, I guess.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

And now we know that an engineer reported significant deterioration of concrete as well as structural problems to the building managers in 2018.  Simply a bad original design regarding the slab foundation and waterproofing not being sloped either at all or correctly, I believe.  No need for conspiracy theories, I guess.

Wow...reminds me of the walkway collapse in the Kansas City Hyatt Regency back in the 80s. Structural design there, too...and if I remember right, it claimed over 100 lives...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Well, that's the convergence of multiple variables being exactly wrong at just the right time. It's amazing how close that it looked to a controlled drop though.

And I didn't think you could build a building that big on a slab, but I guess there's no choice in places like Florida or Louisiana. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Well, that's the convergence of multiple variables being exactly wrong at just the right time. It's amazing how close that it looked to a controlled drop though.

And I didn't think you could build a building that big on a slab, but I guess there's no choice in places like Florida or Louisiana. 

Yeah...let the finger pointing begin.  The lawyers will have a field day with this, I'm guessing.  And the victims' families as well as the survivors in both the south tower and north tower are going to have a multitude of disruption brought into their lives.  No way anybody is going to stay in that complex.  Would have to think it will be imploded for safety reasons.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah...let the finger pointing begin.  The lawyers will have a field day with this, I'm guessing.  And the victims' families as well as the survivors in both the south tower and north tower are going to have a multitude of disruption brought into their lives.  No way anybody is going to stay in that complex.  Would have to think it will be imploded for safety reasons.

Yep, multitude of reasons to demo the rest of it. If only for the fact that it has to be astronomically cheaper to go that route vs repair the existing structure, even if it's deemed sound. 

• Like 1