Jump to content

Brice Sensabaugh Commits to Ohio State


NCHoosier32
 Share

Recommended Posts

Very cool! I love hearing stories from the "inside"; people who are directly involved, either as a coach or parent, etc. 7 threes is nothing to sneeze at... you must be proud!

Just curious, who of the coaches (that you listed and also didn't) had the best presence? Is it a tangible thing that recruits can sense/feel? And what made Crean so "weird"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

So I was actually coaching in this tourney, so I didn't pay a lot of attention honestly.  The Crean thing was just a strange timing.  I was waiting for one of our games to start and he walked almost right by me, so I watched him for a few.  It's hard to explain, but coaches were usually with at least one other coaching chatting it up, and he was standing completely by himself.  He was also standing in kind of an awkward weird pose with one arm on his hip.  He was chomping his gum excessively.  He was kind of spinning from watching one court to another in a way that made him almost seem lost.  I don't know.  It's hard to explain.  Today I saw Rosemond there.  I was walking by kind of quickly and saw a coach in the coaches only section wearing an IU shirt.  I didn't know who it was, but I knew it wasn't Woodson or Fife, so I kind of stared at him wanting to tell him I was an alumni or something, but you really aren't supposed to talk to them, so I passed.  I looked up his pic when I go back to make sure it was him.  Cool I guess.  My son actually led the event with 18 made 3s.    

Not trying to take a shot at the guy but Crean always struck me as a guy that has a little ADHD. He always seemed that his motor was idling too fast and his mind goes a mile a minute. Not to take anything away from the guy but I'm sure he just has a different energy and vibe that might not be the easiest for other coaches to get used to.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not trying to take a shot at the guy but Crean always struck me as a guy that has a little ADHD. He always seemed that his motor was idling too fast and his mind goes a mile a minute. Not to take anything away from the guy but I'm sure he just has a different energy and vibe that might not be the easiest for other coaches to get used to.

i have absolutely no ill feelings toward Crean.  i actually respect the job he did to bring us back to respectability.  he just stood out to me as very odd.  BTW - Sensabaugh led the camp in scoring while playing the absolute top teams.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i have absolutely no ill feelings toward Crean.  i actually respect the job he did to bring us back to respectability.  he just stood out to me as very odd.  BTW - Sensabaugh led the camp in scoring while playing the absolute top teams.  

Absolutely! Has he skimmed down any? Not saying he is big but he doesn’t seem to have that quickness…but he gets where he wants to in finding his spots.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Absolutely! Has he skimmed down any? Not saying he is big but he doesn’t seem to have that quickness…but he gets where he wants to in finding his spots.

 

i didn't really see him play.  it was more talking to his HS coach.  i assume he is not very quick.  he looked like a specimen.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i didn't really see him play.  it was more talking to his HS coach.  i assume he is not very quick.  he looked like a specimen.  

Very strong looking kid....kinda like the Colvin kid...but he seemed much more lethal with his shot. I haven't seen him either...just looked him up when you mentioned him.

Edited by dgambill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

So..... Let's talk about your son!! IU always needs a kid that can shoot the 3!

Maybe we, as fans, can start something?

We are always wanting guys to forgo scholarships and walk on! No in all honesty I’m sure he is very proud as he should be!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2021 at 9:59 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

So... not super exciting, but kinda cool.  I am in Cartersville, GA at a big live period event with my son's high school team.  We're playing the big dawgs.  Milton is preseason #3 in the nation, FSU High School is Charlie Ward's school (I actually coached against him yesterday and lost in OT), McEachern (GA) is a big time program, and Grey Collegiate is as well.  Those are the 4 teams our 3A school is playing.  Anyway, tons of college coaches here and I was standing about 20 feet from Crean for awhile.  Just a really weird dude.  Bennett is here, Oats, Self, Hamilton, Pearl, and a ton of assistants.  On a really cool dad note, my son hit 7 threes against FSU.  So... Brice Sensabaugh... plays for Lake Highland Prep in Orlando, FL.  They are staying at our hotel.  I have been talking with his coach a lot.  He has some offers, but appears to be rising stock wise.  He's a 6'6'' guard.  Thick looking athlete that can shoot the 3.  He said he heard from Coach Woodson the other day.  No idea of the interest level, but pretty cool.     

I know you managed to get a number for me when you talked to him, right? ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so here's the thing... my son is a ridiculous 3 point shooter.  extremely high Bball IQ... 4.4 GPA... 1310 SAT... but... he is 5'11''.  he's getting tons of D3 interest, more and more D2, and so far Cornell and VMI have reached out.  he has mentioned walking on a D1 if he doesn't get a D1 offer, but i don't understand why he wouldn't take a D2 scholarship if that's the case.  he really went off against the big boys in the live period with a lot of coaches watching, so we're hopeful he'll be getting more calls soon.  in the next live period he'll be playing with a 7 footer on his travel team who has offers from almost everywhere including Ohio St.  i sure hope he plays well then!  he is a huge IU fan growing up in NC.  

Good luck to him! I'm sure when you guys sit down and factor everything in (education, school, distance from home, playing time) as smart as he is he will come to a great decision!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so here's the thing... my son is a ridiculous 3 point shooter.  extremely high Bball IQ... 4.4 GPA... 1310 SAT... but... he is 5'11''.  he's getting tons of D3 interest, more and more D2, and so far Cornell and VMI have reached out.  he has mentioned walking on a D1 if he doesn't get a D1 offer, but i don't understand why he wouldn't take a D2 scholarship if that's the case.  he really went off against the big boys in the live period with a lot of coaches watching, so we're hopeful he'll be getting more calls soon.  in the next live period he'll be playing with a 7 footer on his travel team who has offers from almost everywhere including Ohio St.  i sure hope he plays well then!  he is a huge IU fan growing up in NC.  

If your son wants to play for an "Indiana" school, look at the University of Southern Indiana! They always have good basketball teams and did win a National Championship when Bruce Pearl was the head coach.

Now talking from a parents' standpoint, both my son and daughter have graduated from USI and both have good jobs. IMO, it is was one of the best bargains for a college education.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

If your son wants to play for an "Indiana" school, look at the University of Southern Indiana! They always have good basketball teams and did win a National Championship when Bruce Pearl was the head coach.

Now talking from a parents' standpoint, both my son and daughter have graduated from USI and both have good jobs. IMO, it is was one of the best bargains for a college education.

I'd definitely be open to it.  Problem is they aren't going to recruit a 5'11'' kid from NC.  I'm sure they've never heard of him.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'd definitely be open to it.  Problem is they aren't going to recruit a 5'11'' kid from NC.  I'm sure they've never heard of him.  

USI class of '88.  Great little school.  Particularly strong in accounting, nursing and they have excellent acceptance rates to medical and dental school.  Campus has a rural feel but is close to a lot on the west side of Evansville.

Send em a mix tape, dad!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2021 at 8:59 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

So... not super exciting, but kinda cool.  I am in Cartersville, GA at a big live period event with my son's high school team.  We're playing the big dawgs.  Milton is preseason #3 in the nation, FSU High School is Charlie Ward's school (I actually coached against him yesterday and lost in OT), McEachern (GA) is a big time program, and Grey Collegiate is as well.  Those are the 4 teams our 3A school is playing.  Anyway, tons of college coaches here and I was standing about 20 feet from Crean for awhile.  Just a really weird dude.  Bennett is here, Oats, Self, Hamilton, Pearl, and a ton of assistants.  On a really cool dad note, my son hit 7 threes against FSU.  So... Brice Sensabaugh... plays for Lake Highland Prep in Orlando, FL.  They are staying at our hotel.  I have been talking with his coach a lot.  He has some offers, but appears to be rising stock wise.  He's a 6'6'' guard.  Thick looking athlete that can shoot the 3.  He said he heard from Coach Woodson the other day.  No idea of the interest level, but pretty cool.     

Message me please. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

If your son wants to play for an "Indiana" school, look at the University of Southern Indiana! They always have good basketball teams and did win a National Championship when Bruce Pearl was the head coach.

Now talking from a parents' standpoint, both my son and daughter have graduated from USI and both have good jobs. IMO, it is was one of the best bargains for a college education.

Agreed. I had a full ride scholarship to go there in the 90's. There during the Pearl years. It was very fun and graduated with a degree in HR and Economics.(PS Evansville is a beautiful city...not too big but very good size for still having plenty of nightlife, food, and activities) Its very underrated. Thing is my professors had taught all over. Had an Alum from Kansas who also taught several years there that we got in conversations about basketball all the time. Several that taught in England and India. Thing is the faculty come from all over and many "higher" Universities for many reasons. A lot of time they have no shot at maybe advancing to a chair or maybe a Dean position or them or their spouse get's a job in the private sector and then they decide to go back to teaching etc etc. Anyways, I agree it has a really good Nursing/Teaching school etc but I'd argue most of the degrees outside some of the most specialized Science and Technology would be very attractive and especially at the prices they charge. Not sure it makes a lot of sense for an out of state student but for a local Hoosier parent...I would encourage their child to take a visit and find out for themselves.

@NCHoosier32 as you know probably better than anyone just have his coach send out a tape or make contact. Yes USI recruits mostly Indiana kids (I mean it is a hot bed of talent all locally sourced and many slip through the cracks) and a midwest region (Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky) they have had several kids over the years from all over. Most of the time they are kids that went D1 but didn't get the playing time or got dismissed for various reasons but they won't turn down talent like any other school. They probably don't recruit nationally because of their budget & the cost/reward factor. I know my sister had never had any contact with the girls team but after sending them a tape and being announced to an Indiana All-star team after never having been recruited she got invited to meet and offered a scholarship. Anyways, good luck again. A stressful time but one that he will remember for the rest of his life. Whatever he does he should be very proud of his accomplishments whether he plays somewhere or decides to focus on the education side. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • KDB changed the title to Brice Sensabaugh Commits to Ohio State

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...