Big Ten 2021-2022

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Weiskamp is staying in the draft and that is a huge hit to Iowa.

Liddell coming back to OSU so that should make them one of the top 5 teams in the big ten

Saw Wisekamp play during the combine tryouts or whatever…he was lighting it up pretty good. Scoring like 20 pts a game. I think he will be a 2nd rd pick.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

With the players that Iowa has lost this off-season they are going to be pretty bad. The Francon meter could reach a new level lol.

THE FRANCON ALERT SYSTEM - Black Heart Gold Pants

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

With the players that Iowa has lost this off-season they are going to pretty bad. The Francon meter could reach a new level lol.

THE FRANCON ALERT SYSTEM - Black Heart Gold Pants

The person that originally came up with the Francon Meter is pure genius.  One of my favorite memes ever.

• Like 4

On 7/3/2021 at 9:24 PM, IU Scott said:

Liddell coming back to OSU so that should make them one of the top 5 teams in the big ten

Weiskamp staying in the draft probably means Iowa is hot garbage next year. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think the top 3 in the big ten

1) Purdue

2) Michigan

3) Ohio St.

I completely understand why Ohio State is top three, but then I look at their projected starters and ours and can't figure out why we can't be in that same upper echelon of the conference next season? 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I completely understand why Ohio State is top three, but then I look at their projected starters and ours and can't figure out why we can't be in that same upper echelon of the conference next season? 

New coaching staff, head coach new to college bball, and it's a team coming off a sub-0.500 season that also lost some of its top scorers/best shooters. This following 4 straight seasons of mediocre or worse play. I'm not surprised they're not receiving the benefit of the doubt.

They can be near the top of the B1G but there are plenty of question marks. It remains to be seen if they will

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

New coaching staff, head coach new to college bball, and it's a team coming off a sub-0.500 season that also lost some of its top scorers/best shooters. This following 4 straight seasons of mediocre or worse play. I'm not surprised they're not receiving the benefit of the doubt.

They can be near the top of the B1G but there are plenty of question marks. It remains to be seen if they will

I understand why we wouldn't be predicted there by the media, but that wasn't really what I was getting it. 

My point was more a discussion on if OSU, who just accepted that they'll be at the top of conference, is actually better than us? I don't really see it. I can't look at their projected starters and really see where they have an advantage over us (not that we have big advantages over them, either). I don't buy that they have a coaching advantage AT ALL. The questions about Woodson had to do with running a college program, which he has so far answered, not his ability to coach a basketball team. 

But to your point about what we "lost" from last season... we probably have 4 new starters and you could make a case every single of them is better than the guy they're replacing. The fifth guy might be the best player in the conference. 

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand why we wouldn't be predicted there by the media, but that wasn't really what I was getting it. 

My point was more a discussion on if OSU, who just accepted that they'll be at the top of conference, is actually better than us? I don't really see it. I can't look at their projected starters and really see where they have an advantage over us (not that we have big advantages over them, either). I don't buy that they have a coaching advantage AT ALL. The questions about Woodson had to do with running a college program, which he has so far answered, not his ability to coach a basketball team. 

But to your point about what we "lost" from last season... we probably have 4 new starters and you could make a case every single of them is better than the guy they're replacing. The fifth guy might be the best player in the conference. 

I'm with you in my heart man. I'm with you on paper. But the old sayin holds true....basketball isn't played on paper....it's played in black boxes in our living rooms by little miniature people. No...but really I'm cautiously optimistic. We have a lot of new bodies who will be playing KEY roles for us this year...and how all those new moving parts come in and play...and how quickly Mike is able to teach these guys what he wants and they catch on. I expect a slow up and down start...but hopefully by the end of the year if we are injury free we will have a very dangerous team that can compete with anyone on any given night.

36 minutes ago, rico said:

We also tend to down play what other squads have.

I pray that is the old regime. Archie played a style and brand of basketball that attempted to dirty up the game and slow it down into a slug fest. When you play in such a way you basically eliminate any chance to let your team separate from the competition. Against really good teams you try to slow them down to your level...and bad teams you help keep them in games. When you don't shoot 3's very well and you don't force a lot of turnovers/transition it's honestly much harder to generate offense. The pack line doesn't really force turnovers it forces you to shoot perimeter shots and hopefully contested shots and if you try to dribble into the teeth of it you have help there to keep from getting beat for easy buckets...but it doesn't cause many live ball turnovers. So a team that doesn't get easy transition baskets (fast break layups/shots) and doesn't shoot 3 well is going to have a very very tough time pulling away and winning running away, mainly because you have to score SO many points playing against a set defense and either stringing multiple baskets together to make a run (very hard for a poor shooting team to do). So we never really run away from others...combine that with the fact we were always 3-4 minutes away from giving up back to back 3's all season long and even if we did get a double digit lead built it was gone (even against poor teams) after a couple shots. I trust we won't be playing that way with Mike...and we will see us put teams away and win a lot more of those games much easier...but we will also see nights where we just can't hit and get run out of the gym the other way too. The key will be winning those closely contested games that come down to 2-4 pts at the end of games...and that will be where our season will be made or broke.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I pray that is the old regime. Archie played a style and brand of basketball that attempted to dirty up the game and slow it down into a slug fest. When you play in such a way you basically eliminate any chance to let your team separate from the competition. Against really good teams you try to slow them down to your level...and bad teams you help keep them in games. When you don't shoot 3's very well and you don't force a lot of turnovers/transition it's honestly much harder to generate offense. The pack line doesn't really force turnovers it forces you to shoot perimeter shots and hopefully contested shots and if you try to dribble into the teeth of it you have help there to keep from getting beat for easy buckets...but it doesn't cause many live ball turnovers. So a team that doesn't get easy transition baskets (fast break layups/shots) and doesn't shoot 3 well is going to have a very very tough time pulling away and winning running away, mainly because you have to score SO many points playing against a set defense and either stringing multiple baskets together to make a run (very hard for a poor shooting team to do). So we never really run away from others...combine that with the fact we were always 3-4 minutes away from giving up back to back 3's all season long and even if we did get a double digit lead built it was gone (even against poor teams) after a couple shots. I trust we won't be playing that way with Mike...and we will see us put teams away and win a lot more of those games much easier...but we will also see nights where we just can't hit and get run out of the gym the other way too. The key will be winning those closely contested games that come down to 2-4 pts at the end of games...and that will be where our season will be made or broke.

All this totals up to why we won't be the favorites this year in the B1G.

• Like 2

Looks like Marcus Carr (Minnesota) pulled out of the draft and has 4 "preferred" destinations... UK, KU, Louisville, and Texas...I would guess a rebuilding Gopher team holds no interest for him...

And after reading some Illinois pages that were confident Kofi was coming back (they also had a projected starting lineup that omitted Trent Frazier and Da'Monte Williams 🙄) I think Cockburn is UK bound...

Edited by IUFLA

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The transfer Portal just gave Calipari new life in Kentucky.   

Makes him very dangerous.  If he does a better job of balancing proven veteran transfers with incoming 5 star talent, he fixes the problem he's had the last few years.

• Like 1