Big Ten 2021-2022

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Big 10 better get used to Michigan being up top. Howard gets a Big 10 title and gets a player drafted in top 10 after year 2. 

Glad we have the staff we do but Michigan is set to be a thorn in everyone's side for years. 

Depends how long Howard stays. Could see him going to the NBA before too long honestly. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Depends how long Howard stays. Could see him going to the NBA before too long honestly. 

I'd even eye the Pistons for him at some point. I know they need to give a coach time with Cade Cunningham just getting drafted and all of the young talent they have, but Dwane Casey has been there 3 years and each has gotten worse record-wise. If they're terrible again, I could definitely see them moving on after 4 years and Howard being interested with a potential superstar in Cunningham as well as Saddiq Bay and Killian Hayes being exciting young players, and the job not being a big move with his kids at Michigan. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'd even eye the Pistons for him at some point. I know they need to give a coach time with Cade Cunningham just getting drafted and all of the young talent they have, but Dwane Casey has been there 3 years and each has gotten worse record-wise. If they're terrible again, I could definitely see them moving on after 4 years and Howard being interested with a potential superstar in Cunningham as well as Saddiq Bay and Killian Hayes being exciting young players, and the job not being a big move with his kids at Michigan. 

In my opinion with them drafting Cunningham and the rest of the young pieces they have that it is only a matter of time before Howard is coaching them. He would be a good fit there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

In my opinion with them drafting Cunningham and the rest of the young pieces they have that it is only a matter of time before Howard is coaching them. He would be a good fit there.

Agree. I think the only thing holding him back might be his kids (isn't one a freshmen or something at UM?)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Howard's son Jace is a sophomore at UM, and his son Jett is a 2022 4 star at IMG Academy, so maybe he'll be at UM a few more years...

Family first, but that Pistons job would be a really hard one to turn down after what they've done in the draft the last two years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Family first, but that Pistons job would be a really hard one to turn down after what they've done in the draft the last two years. 

I don't know the NBA well enough anymore to comment on that part...but Juwan is a relatively young man, and he's only going to get one chance to coach his sons in their formative years...that coupled with the emotion he showed for UM the day he was hired makes me believe he'll be a Wolverine for a few more years...I do think the NBA is his ultimate goal, but if he's as good as most think, that'll always be there...

Edited by IUFLA

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, rico said:

According to what I am seeing and hearing this kid is the highest rated recruit Northwestern has ever landed.

I do think this is the year for Collins to prove he's a P5 coach. I thought the Wildcats would be better than they were last year, and they were in the beginning and end of the B1G regular season, but fell short of what I expected...

We'll see this year...if Collins doesn't at least finish .500 in conference, he may never get to coach this kid...

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Perhaps. But beyond Maryland, it seems hard to argue we are better than any of the teams they listed above us. 

I don't know...looking at what each team lost and what they brought back, if Coach Woody can coach a lick 7th would be a disappointment...

Big Ten

Illinois Fighting Illini

Departed or expected to depart: Ayo Dosunmu (20.1 PPG), Adam Miller (8.3 PPG), Giorgi Bezhanishvili (5.1 PPG), Jermaine Hamlin (1.0 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: Kofi Cockburn (17.7 PPG), Trent Frazier (10.2 PPG), Andre Curbelo (9.1 PPG), Da'Monte Williams (5.5 PPG), Jacob Grandison (4.6 PPG), Coleman Hawkins (1.4 PPG)
Newcomers: Ramses Melendez (No. 54), Luke Goode (No. 80), Brandin Podziemski (four-star), Omar Payne (3.8 PPG at Florida), Alfonso Plummer (13.6 PPG at Utah)

Indiana Hoosiers

Departed or expected to depart: Armaan Franklin (11.4 PPG), Al Durham (11.3 PPG), Joey Brunk (6.8 PPG), Jerome Hunter (6.3 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: Trayce Jackson-Davis (19.1 PPG), Race Thompson (9.1 PPG), Rob Phinisee (7.1 PPG), Trey Galloway (3.6 PPG), Jordan Geronimo (2.2 PPG), Khristian Lander (2.1 PPG), Anthony Leal (1.6 PPG)
Newcomers: Tamar Bates (No. 23), Logan Duncomb (No. 87), Xavier Johnson (14.2 PPG at Pittsburgh), Miller Kopp (11.3 PPG at Northwestern), Parker Stewart (19.2 PPG at Tennessee-Martin), Michael Durr (8.8 PPG at South Florida)

Iowa Hawkeyes

Departed or expected to depart: Luka Garza (24.1 PPG), Joe Wieskamp (14.8 PPG), CJ Fredrick (7.5 PPG), Jack Nunge (7.1 PPG), Austin Ash (1.7 PPG), Michael Baer (0.3 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: Jordan Bohannon (10.6 PPG), Keegan Murray (7.2 PPG), Patrick McCaffery (5.2 PPG), Joe Toussaint (3.7 PPG), Connor McCaffery (3.3 PPG), Tony Perkins (1.6 PPG)
Newcomers: Payton Sandfort (three-star), Riley Mulvey (NR), Filip Rebraca (16.8 PPG at North Dakota)

Maryland Terrapins

Departed or expected to depart: Aaron Wiggins (14.5 PPG), Darryl Morsell (9.0 PPG), Jairus Hamilton (6.5 PPG), Galin Smith (3.7 PPG), Chol Marial (1.6 PPG), Aquan Smart (1.4 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: Eric Ayala (15.1 PPG), Donta Scott (11.0 PPG), Hakim Hart (7.1 PPG), James Graham III (1.3 PPG)
Newcomers: Julian Reese (No. 49), Ike Cornish (four-star), Fatts Russell (14.7 PPG at Rhode Island), Qudus Wahab (12.7 PPG at Georgetown), Ian Martinez (5.2 PPG at Utah), Simon Wright (5.1 PPG at Elon), Pavlo Dziuba (0.4 PPG at Arizona State)

Michigan Wolverines

Departed or expected to depart: Isaiah Livers (13.1 PPG), Franz Wagner (12.5 PPG), Mike Smith (9.0 PPG), Chaundee Brown (8.0 PPG), Austin Davis (5.4 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: Hunter Dickinson (14.1 PPG), Eli Brooks (9.5 PPG), Brandon Johns Jr. (4.9 PPG), Terrance Williams II (1.9 PPG), Jace Howard (1.1 PPG), Zeb Jackson (1.0 PPG)
Newcomers: Caleb Houstan (No. 6), Moussa Diabate (No. 11), Frankie Collins (No. 36), Kobe Bufkin (No. 38), Will Tschetter (four-star), Isaiah Barnes (four-star), DeVante' Jones (19.3 PPG at Coastal Carolina)

Michigan State Spartans

Departed or expected to depart: Aaron Henry (15.4 PPG), Joshua Langford (9.7 PPG), Rocket Watts (7.7 PPG), Foster Loyer (4.2 PPG), Thomas Kithier (2.4 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: Joey Hauser (9.7 PPG), Gabe Brown (7.2 PPG), Malik Hall (5.0 PPG), Julius Marble II (4.0 PPG), Marcus Bingham Jr. (3.5 PPG), A.J. Hoggard (2.5 PPG), Mady Sissoko (1.1 PPG)
Newcomers: Max Christie (No. 16), Pierre Brooks (No. 51), Jaden Akins (No. 52), Tyson Walker (18.8 PPG at Northeastern)

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Departed or expected to depart: Marcus Carr (19.4 PPG), Liam Robbins (11.7 PPG), Gabe Kalscheur (9.2 PPG), Brandon Johnson (8.9 PPG), Jamal Mashburn Jr. (8.2 PPG), Both Gach (6.8 PPG), Tre' Williams (5.8 PPG), Eric Curry (3.7 PPG), David Mutaf (3.3 PPG), Martice Mitchell (1.3 PPG), Sam Freeman (1.1 PPG), Jarvis Omersa (1.7 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: Isaiah Ihnen (2.8 PPG)
Newcomers: Treyton Thompson (three-star), Sean Sutherlin (12.8 PPG at New Hampshire), Jamison Battle (17.3 PPG at George Washington), Payton Willis (13.4 PPG at Charleston), Luke Loewe (16.2 PPG at William & Mary), E.J. Stephens (16.4 PPG at Lafayette)

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Departed or expected to depart: Teddy Allen (16.5 PPG), Dalano Banton (9.6 PPG), Shamiel Stevenson (5.5 PPG), Thorir Thorbjarnarson (3.9 PPG), Yvan Ouedraogo (3.4 PPG), Akol Arop (1.0 PPG), Elijah Wood (0.8 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: Trey McGowens (10.7 PPG), Lat Mayen (8.6 PPG), Kobe Webster (8.1 PPG), Derrick Walker (5.9 PPG), Trevor Lakes (3.2 PPG), Eduardo Andre (2.7 PPG)
Newcomers: Bryce McGowens (No. 24), Wilhelm Breidenbach (No. 75), Oleg Kojenets (three-star), Keisei Tominaga (JC), Alonzo Verge Jr. (14.0 PPG at Arizona State), C.J. Wilcher (3.3 PPG at Xavier), Keon Edwards (1.8 PPG at DePaul)

Northwestern Wildcats

Departed or expected to depart: Miller Kopp (11.3 PPG), Anthony Gaines (3.9 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: Chase Audige (12.3 PPG), Pete Nance (11.1 PPG), Boo Buie (10.3 PPG), Ryan Young (7.8 PPG), Robbie Beran (5.7 PPG), Ty Berry (5.1 PPG), Ryan Greer (2.7 PPG)
Newcomers: Casey Simmons (No. 97), Julian Roper (four-star), Brooks Barnhizer (three-star), Elyjah Williams (13.9 PPG at Fairleigh Dickinson)

Ohio State Buckeyes

Departed or expected to depart: Duane Washington Jr. (16.4 PPG), CJ Walker (9.5 PPG), Musa Jallow (2.9 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: E.J. Liddell (16.2 PPG), Justice Sueing (10.7 PPG), Kyle Young (8.6 PPG), Justin Ahrens (5.7 PPG), Zed Key (5.2 PPG), Seth Towns (3.8 PPG), Jimmy Sotos (1.7 PPG), Meechie Johnson Jr. (1.2 PPG), Eugene Brown III (1.2 PPG)
Newcomers: Malaki Branham (No. 32), Kalen Etzler (four-star), Cedric Russell (17.2 PPG at Louisiana), Jamari Wheeler (6.8 PPG at Penn State), Joey Brunk (6.8 PPG at Indiana)

Penn State Nittany Lions

Departed or expected to depart: Myreon Jones (15.3 PPG), Izaiah Brockington (12.6 PPG), Jamari Wheeler (6.8 PPG), Trent Buttrick (3.0 PPG), Kyle McCloskey (0.6 PPG), D.J. Gordon (0.5 PPG), Patrick Kelly
In limbo:
Expected to return: Seth Lundy (10.1 PPG), John Harrar (8.8 PPG), Sam Sessoms (8.2 PPG), Myles Dread (7.3 PPG)
Newcomers: Jaheam Cornwall (14.1 PPG at Gardner-Webb), Greg Lee (13.0 PPG at Western Michigan), Jalen Pickett (12.9 PPG at Siena)

Purdue Boilermakers

Departed or expected to depart: Aaron Wheeler (3.9 PPG), Emmanuel Dowuona (1.3 PPG)
In limbo:
Expected to return: Trevion Williams (15.5 PPG), Jaden Ivey (11.1 PPG), Sasha Stefanovic (9.3 PPG), Zach Edey (8.7 PPG), Eric Hunter Jr. (8.5 PPG), Brandon Newman (8.0 PPG), Mason Gillis (5.2 PPG), Isaiah Thompson (4.2 PPG), Ethan Morton (0.6 PPG)
Newcomers: Trey Kaufman (No. 43), Caleb Furst (No. 71), Brian Waddell (NR)

Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Departed or expected to depart: Jacob Young (14.1 PPG), Montez Mathis (8.3 PPG), Myles Johnson (8.0 PPG), Mamadou Doucoure (1.3 PPG), Daniel Lobach
In limbo:
Expected to return: Ron Harper Jr. (14.9 PPG), Geo Baker (10.4 PPG), Paul Mulcahy (5.9 PPG), Caleb McConnell (5.7 PPG), Cliff Omoruyi (3.8 PPG), Mawot Mag (2.0 PPG), Jaden Jones (0.8 PPG)
Newcomers: Aundre Hyatt (4.2 PPG at LSU), Jalen Miller (NR)

Wisconsin Badgers

Departed or expected to depart: D'Mitrik Trice (13.9 PPG), Micah Potter (12.5 PPG), Aleem Ford (8.7 PPG), Nate Reuvers (8.3 PPG), Trevor Anderson (3.1 PPG), Joe Hedstrom (0.4 PPG), Walt McGrory
In limbo:
Expected to return: Brad Davison (10.0 PPG), Jonathan Davis (7.0 PPG), Tyler Wahl (5.2 PPG), Ben Carlson (2.9 PPG), Steven Crowl (0.8 PPG), Jordan Davis (0.6 PPG)
Newcomers: Chucky Hepburn (four-star), Matthew Mors (four-star), Markus Ilver (four-star), Chris Hodges (three-star), Chris Vogt (5.0 PPG at Cincinnati), Jahcobi Neath (3.8 PPG at Wake Forest)

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

I don't understand the over abundance of love for Michigan...

They lost 5 of their top 8 players (Livers, Wagner, Smith, Brown, and Davis). Granted, they're bringing in a talented recruiting class, and  PG Davante' Jones who averaged 22 ppg for Costal Carolina last year.

But banking on freshmen and a PG that was pretty good in the he Sun Belt conference last year is a little shaky to me. As we saw with Mike Smith last year, his 22 ppg in the Ivy League equated to 10 ppg in the B1G. I understand he wasn't asked to score as much, but I think saying Jones is any kind of upgrade is a stretch.

And while Dickinson is a great post player, missing 3 guys (Smith, Livers, and Brown) that all shot close to 42% from 3 is going to make that post more crowded. And Wagner was the 8th pick in the NBA draft this summer.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing them at the top of the conference. Experience and depth mean something in the B1G...

Edited by IUFLA

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't understand the over abundance of love for Michigan...

They lost 5 of their top 8 players (Livers, Wagner, Smith, Brown, and Davis). Granted, they're bringing in a talented recruiting class, and  PG Davante' Jones who averaged 22 ppg for Costal Carolina last year.

But banking on freshmen and a PG that was pretty good in the he Sun Belt conference last year is a little shaky to me. As we saw with Mike Smith last year, his 22 ppg in the Ivy League equated to 10 ppg in the B1G. I understand he wasn't asked to score as much, but I think saying Jones is any kind of upgrade is a stretch.

And while Dickinson is a great post player, missing 3 guys (Smith, Livers, and Brown) that all shot close to 42% from 3 is going to make that post more crowded. And Wagner was the 8th pick in the NBA draft this summer.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing them at the top of the conference. Experience and depth mean something in the B1G...

I do understand what you are saying. My only retort is that every single time I try to find a way to discount Michigan, they prove me wrong. 

• Like 2