Big Ten 2021-2022

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

On Bozich podcast he had picked IU 7th on the conference.

i mean, until we prove we're not a mid pack team, its a pretty easy pick to pick us top middle.  Every year we look and say there is no reason we're not a top 4 and we just don't do it.  I truly we are a top 4 team this year and prove it to everyone.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i mean, until we prove we're not a mid pack team, its a pretty easy pick to pick us top middle.  Every year we look and say there is no reason we're not a top 4 and we just don't do it.  I truly we are a top 4 team this year and prove it to everyone.

I agree.  I think before it was mainly that our coaching staff was a complete joke and I now believe we have one of the top staff's in the country.  But until we prove otherwise we don't deserve to be near the top even though on paper we probably have as much talent as anyone in the league.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

In Alex's (ITH) defense, his pessimism towards our he has been more or less accurate these last few years. If I recall correctly, he didn't have anybody from last year's team other than Trayce in the Top 25....and the end of the season proved him right. I believe he also predicted us to finish 8th last year and we finished 10th. 

That said, eventually water will find it's level and the Hoosiers will eventually outperform their expectations. Hopefully that season is not too far off in the future. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

In Alex's (ITH) defense, his pessimism towards our he has been more or less accurate these last few years. If I recall correctly, he didn't have anybody from last year's team other than Trayce in the Top 25....and the end of the season proved him right. I believe he also predicted us to finish 8th last year and we finished 10th. 

That said, eventually water will find it's level and the Hoosiers will eventually outperform their expectations. Hopefully that season is not too far off in the future. 

I agree completely and my post was aimed at no one at all.  I just believe its a valid assessment of where were are this year.  New Coach, new player and some returning player from a less than successful team the last couple years.  

7th is right about where i expect us to be.  I would love to be a top 4 team this year but i won't be surprised to be more around the 6-8 spot.

• Like 3

I'll just say this...

Last year the predicted order of finish for the top 8 in the B1G by Lindy's was...

Wisconsin

Iowa

Illinois

Michigan State

Ohio State

Rutgers

Indiana

Michigan

Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports had them like this...

1. Iowa

2. Wisconsin

3. Illinois

4. Michigan State

5. Rutgers

6. Ohio State

7. Indiana

8. Michigan

9. Purdue

10. Maryland

11. Penn State

12. Minnesota

13. Nebraska

14. Northwestern

Actual order of finish...

Michigan

Illinois

Iowa

Purdue

OSU

Wisconsin

Rutgers

Maryland

MSU

Indiana

Penn St

Northwestern

Minnesota

Nebraska

Notice anything?

Based on the 2019-2020 standings, they had totally ignored Michigan...Who had brought in Grad transfers Mike Smith (PG) and Chaundee Brown (SG/SF) and landed an impact Freshman (Dickinson)...The other crucial parts of their team (Livers, Brooks, Wagner, and Davis) were already there...

Purdue was underrated too....

I'm just saying...we've added 3 grad transfers that addressed need (shooting, frontcourt depth), and what I think is an impact freshman...Plus the maturation/development of the players we already had here...I see a lot of parallels...

I guess the wildcard is Coach Woody...And I'm very optimistic on his ability to coach college kids and win at a high level in the B1G... 

I say underrate us at your peril...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I agree completely and my post was aimed at no one at all.  I just believe its a valid assessment of where were are this year.  New Coach, new player and some returning player from a less than successful team the last couple years.  

7th is right about where i expect us to be.  I would love to be a top 4 team this year but i won't be surprised to be more around the 6-8 spot.

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll just say this...

Last year the predicted order of finish for the top 8 in the B1G by Lindy's was...

Wisconsin

Iowa

Illinois

Michigan State

Ohio State

Rutgers

Indiana

Michigan

Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports had them like this...

1. Iowa

2. Wisconsin

3. Illinois

4. Michigan State

5. Rutgers

6. Ohio State

7. Indiana

8. Michigan

9. Purdue

10. Maryland

11. Penn State

12. Minnesota

13. Nebraska

14. Northwestern

Actual order of finish...

Michigan

Illinois

Iowa

Purdue

OSU

Wisconsin

Rutgers

Maryland

MSU

Indiana

Penn St

Northwestern

Minnesota

Nebraska

Notice anything?

Based on the 2019-2020 standings, they had totally ignored Michigan...Who had brought in Grad transfers Mike Smith (PG) and Chaundee Brown (SG/SF) and landed an impact Freshman (Dickinson)...The other crucial parts of their team (Livers, Brooks, Wagner, and Davis) were already there...

Purdue was underrated too....

I'm just saying...we've added 3 grad transfers that addressed need (shooting, frontcourt depth), and what I think is an impact freshman...Plus the maturation/development of the players we already had here...I see a lot of parallels...

I guess the wildcard is Coach Woody...And I'm very optimistic on his ability to coach college kids and win at a high level in the B1G... 

I say underrate us at your peril...

I agree with both of you. It's understandable for IU to be picked where they are and for the media to not have high expectations them. There are also many reasons for optimism from the fan base heading into the season. Time will show which is correct but I certainly hope it's the optimistic view and I really, really hope they're not both wrong 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Wow, won't even ask how you managed to stumble across The Cesspool board. 🤣

The polar opposite to the Illinois Loyalty board where everything is sunshine and rainbows.

I put "Delusional Illinois Basketball Fans" in the search engine and it was the first site that came up...

I think Illinois Loyalty was the second 😁

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Preseason award/standings just came out. Thoughts?

Big Ten preseason media poll

1. Michigan, 373 (13)

2. Purdue, 373 (12)

3. Illinois, 320 (3)

4. Ohio State, 316

5. Maryland, 269

6. Michigan State, 262

7. Indiana, 219

8. Rutgers, 208

9. Iowa, 150

10. Wisconsin, 149

11. Nebraska, 105

T-12. Northwestern, 81

T-12. Penn State, 81

14. Minnesota, 34

Big Ten preseason player of the year

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (11)

Also receiving votes: Jaden Ivey, Purdue (5); E.J. Liddell, Ohio State, 4; Hunter Dickinson, Michigan, and Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana, (3); Trevion Williams, Purdue (2).

Big Ten preseason freshman of the year

Caleb Houstan, Michigan (20)

Also receiving votes: Max Christie, Michigan State (7); Bryce McGowens, Nebraska (1).

Big Ten preseason all-conference team

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (27)

E.J. Liddell, Ohio State (26)

Hunter Dickinson, Michigan (25)

Jaden Ivey, Purdue (21)

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana (20)

Also receiving votes: Trevion Williams, Purdue (10); Eric Ayala, Maryland (4); Andre Curbelo, Illinois, and DeVante' Jones, Michigan (2); Geo Baker and Ron Harper Jr., Rutgers, and Caleb Houstan, Michigan (1).

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2021/10/06/big-10-basketball-poll-michigan-purdue-illinois-ohio-state-kofi-cockburn-ej-liddell-hunter-dickinson/5999293001/

• Thanks 1