Big Ten 2021-2022

24 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Preseason award/standings just came out. Thoughts?

Big Ten preseason media poll

1. Michigan, 373 (13)

2. Purdue, 373 (12)

3. Illinois, 320 (3)

4. Ohio State, 316

5. Maryland, 269

6. Michigan State, 262

7. Indiana, 219

8. Rutgers, 208

9. Iowa, 150

10. Wisconsin, 149

11. Nebraska, 105

T-12. Northwestern, 81

T-12. Penn State, 81

14. Minnesota, 34

Big Ten preseason player of the year

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (11)

Also receiving votes: Jaden Ivey, Purdue (5); E.J. Liddell, Ohio State, 4; Hunter Dickinson, Michigan, and Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana, (3); Trevion Williams, Purdue (2).

Big Ten preseason freshman of the year

Caleb Houstan, Michigan (20)

Also receiving votes: Max Christie, Michigan State (7); Bryce McGowens, Nebraska (1).

Big Ten preseason all-conference team

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (27)

E.J. Liddell, Ohio State (26)

Hunter Dickinson, Michigan (25)

Jaden Ivey, Purdue (21)

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana (20)

Also receiving votes: Trevion Williams, Purdue (10); Eric Ayala, Maryland (4); Andre Curbelo, Illinois, and DeVante' Jones, Michigan (2); Geo Baker and Ron Harper Jr., Rutgers, and Caleb Houstan, Michigan (1).

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2021/10/06/big-10-basketball-poll-michigan-purdue-illinois-ohio-state-kofi-cockburn-ej-liddell-hunter-dickinson/5999293001/

Looks like typical Big 10, all conference team dominated by big guys. I'm excited to see what a Mike Woodson assembled/coached team looks like in the coming years.

38 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Preseason award/standings just came out. Thoughts?

Big Ten preseason media poll

1. Michigan, 373 (13)

2. Purdue, 373 (12)

3. Illinois, 320 (3)

4. Ohio State, 316

5. Maryland, 269

6. Michigan State, 262

7. Indiana, 219

8. Rutgers, 208

9. Iowa, 150

10. Wisconsin, 149

11. Nebraska, 105

T-12. Northwestern, 81

T-12. Penn State, 81

14. Minnesota, 34

Big Ten preseason player of the year

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (11)

Also receiving votes: Jaden Ivey, Purdue (5); E.J. Liddell, Ohio State, 4; Hunter Dickinson, Michigan, and Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana, (3); Trevion Williams, Purdue (2).

Big Ten preseason freshman of the year

Caleb Houstan, Michigan (20)

Also receiving votes: Max Christie, Michigan State (7); Bryce McGowens, Nebraska (1).

Big Ten preseason all-conference team

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (27)

E.J. Liddell, Ohio State (26)

Hunter Dickinson, Michigan (25)

Jaden Ivey, Purdue (21)

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana (20)

Also receiving votes: Trevion Williams, Purdue (10); Eric Ayala, Maryland (4); Andre Curbelo, Illinois, and DeVante' Jones, Michigan (2); Geo Baker and Ron Harper Jr., Rutgers, and Caleb Houstan, Michigan (1).

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2021/10/06/big-10-basketball-poll-michigan-purdue-illinois-ohio-state-kofi-cockburn-ej-liddell-hunter-dickinson/5999293001/

Minnesota not getting much love?

Last year the media had Michigan 6th, Purdue 9th, and Adam Miller (formerly of the Illini) as freshman of the year (and Khristian Lander got 4 votes in that poll)...so take it for what it's worth...

We have experience and depth, 2 things that usually bode well for a team in the Big 10...I like our chances...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Last year the media had Michigan 6th, Purdue 9th, and Adam Miller (formerly of the Illini) as freshman of the year (and Khristian Lander got 4 votes in that poll)...so take it for what it's worth...

We have experience and depth, 2 things that usually bode well for a team in the Big 10...I like our chances...

What’s your prediction for you guys?

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think we'll be in the top 3 along with Ohio State and (reaching for the mouthwash) Purdue...

I also think Tamar Bates will be heavily in the running for B10 Freshman of the Year...

Bold prediction for sure. I think you guys will be in the 5-8 range personally. A lot is going to depend on the transfers/newcomers for you guys IMO. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I get the 7th place prediction, though I am optimistic for better.

What I dont get at all is Trayce finishing 5th in votes for POY.  Other outlets have him 1st or 2nd Team All-American.  That should warrant being better than the 5th man on the all-conference team.

Just shows how damn good the conference is. And the top 4 or 5 are all pretty close in votes too. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Bold prediction for sure. I think you guys will be in the 5-8 range personally. 

I cant emphasize enough how bad Archie was for this program.  If we finish 5-8, it's a testament to how good the conference is.  The Hoosiers may still not be a threat for the upper tier this year, but i feel we have the right coaching staff and culture now to make the next step in the next couple of years.

Kudos to Painter for the team he has built, but 3-5 years from now, I think the two programs switch places in the conference hierarchy.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I get the 7th place prediction, though I am optimistic for better.

What I dont get at all is Trayce finishing 5th in votes for POY.  Other outlets have him 1st or 2nd Team All-American.  That should warrant being better than the 5th man on the all-conference team.

Like I said, it's the media...They know about as much as we do...

As I said, last year, they had Adam Miller as B1G FOY...He didn't even make the B1G All Freshman Team...

As I said...we have experience and depth...I'll be severely disappointed if we DON'T challenge for the B1G crown... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I cant emphasize enough how bad Archie was for this program.  If we finish 5-8, it's a testament to how good the conference is.  The Hoosiers may still not be a threat for the upper tier this year, but i feel we have the right coaching staff and culture now to make the next step in the next couple of years.

Along those lines, I am very curious/anxious to see where we fall not only in conference but the NCAAT as well.  I want to know just how bad Archie is/was.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kudos to Painter for the team he has built, but 3-5 years from now, I think the two programs switch places in the conference hierarchy.

We did that with no depth at the 5, our second best player hobbled by an ankle injury for 3/4 of the year, and relying on 4 freshmen to provide our depth...

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think the big ten is as deep as it has been the last couple of years.

I don't think so either...And I think we lost less and gained more than some of the teams picked ahead of us...

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yikes.

we just don't know anything yet.  The exhibition didn't really give us anything.  X and Stewart both didn't show much.  Bates could be an X factor.  TJD will be able the same i think.  Race, well i am not sure there.  And Kopp could or could not find his shot again.

I like the team and the coach, something i haven't said in a long time. 

But i am not digging out my crimson glasses and putting them on any longer.  Being a realist here.  I don't think we're going to be terrible or fantastic this year.  So 5 to 7 is an improvement year one over the last 5 years.  I will take that this year

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Along those lines, I am very curious/anxious to see where we fall not only in conference but the NCAAT as well.  I want to know just how bad Archie is/was.

He was bad for IU.  4 years of really bad.  Historically bad.  And the further away we get from him, the more evident it becomes.  Looking back on people who were die hard to the very bitter end supporters of him still boggles my mind.  Blindly supporting someone because of the position they hold is so foreign to me that I can't understand how people do it.

• Like 2

A lot of it will depend on how the transfers play.

Xavier Johnson and Miller Kopp both bring something to the table that we were missing last year, not to mention Parker Stewart finally getting a chance to suit up. Plus Durr/Duncomb gives you size and depth down low behind TJD, something we lacked last season.

then you factor in the combination of Tamar Bates and his recruiting ranking + how he looked in the Bahamas and it’s hard not to be excited for what he can bring to the table even as a freshman…. 

Yeah we lost Armaan and Al, but I think everyone here would greatly before Bates/Kopp/Stewart/Johnson over Durham/Armaan. 

that’s just the on paper talent, you obviously hope Woodson is an upgrade over Archie from a coaching standpoint and he’d be hard pressed to do worse.

Where does that leave us in the Big Ten? Not sure, we have a new coach installing an entirely new system but the Bahamas gave us a head start in implementing said system. I think a top 4 finish is definitely in play, anything below 7 is definitely underachieving relative to our talent. 

43 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can you elaborate on why you think we’ll switch places?