Big Ten 2021-2022

30 minutes ago, rico said:

As for Purdue, I fully expect them to challenge for the B1G title(s) and go deep in the NCAAT.  Painter is to the point where he needs that FF appearance.

I do think this is the deepest team he’s had at Purdue (the baby boilers team talent was maybe a bit higher overall but not the depth). And I think Ivey is the lead guard we haven’t really had in year’s past. Def agree that we need to break through. Hopefully the basketball gods can help us out after that Virginia ending two years ago. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I do think this is the deepest team he’s had at Purdue (the baby boilers team talent was maybe a bit higher overall but not the depth). And I think Ivey is the lead guard we haven’t really had in year’s past. Def agree that we need to break through. Hopefully the basketball gods can help us out after that Virginia ending two years ago. 

Basketball gods helped you out in the previous game vs Tennessee so Virginia was the course correction. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Can you elaborate on why you think we’ll switch places? 

The name on the jersey.  Painter is doing very well right now, but IU had a train wreck running the program.  Ultimately, the IU brand will succeed again.  And, when it does, fair or not, IU's ascension hurts Purdue more than it does any other program.

IU benefits most from Purdue being good.  However, Purdue benefits most when IU is bad.  It's a weird dynamic.  

• Like 2

Just now, 5fouls said:

The name on the jersey.  Painter is doing very well right now, but IU had a train wreck running the program.  Ultimately, the IU brand will succeed again.  And, when it does, fair or not, IU's ascension hurts Purdue more than it does any other program.

IU benefits most from Purdue being good.  However, Purdue benefits most when IU is bad.  It's a weird dynamic.  

I do think IU will get it figured out at some point but what do you envision when you say “the IU brand will succeed again”? I think Painter/Purdue are able to recruit different players than IU (Mathias, Edey, Haas, Edward’s, etc…) that have led to success. I feel like we don’t have too many head-to-head battles in recruiting especially for being the two big in-state programs. IU succeeding again could hurt Purdue with some in-state guys sure but not sure how much it’d impact them for guys outside the state tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I do think IU will get it figured out at some point but what do you envision when you say “the IU brand will succeed again”? I think Painter/Purdue are able to recruit different players than IU (Mathias, Edey, Haas, Edward’s, etc…) that have led to success. I feel like we don’t have too many head-to-head battles in recruiting especially for being the two big in-state programs. IU succeeding again could hurt Purdue with some in-state guys sure but not sure how much it’d impact them for guys outside the state tbh. 

It goes deeper than individual recruiting battles.  Purdue simply would not get the same level of media attention or national recognition if IU was successful.  This is a basketball crazed state and Purdue is benefitting from being the only program worth any attention.

A 5th ranked Boilermaker team gets the majority of the national attention when IU is under .500 and missing tournaments.

By contrast, that same 5th ranked Boilermaker is overshadowed in the media if IU is ranked 14th.  Purdue may still be 'better' on the court. But not in public perception.  

Same thing ACC schools deal with for UNC and Duke.  Over time that will chip away at Purdue's foundation of success.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It goes deeper than individual recruiting battles.  Purdue simply would not get the same level of media attention or national recognition if IU was successful.  This is a basketball crazed state and Purdue is benefitting from being the only program worth any attention.

A 5th ranked Boilermaker team gets the majority of the national attention when IU is under .500 and missing tournaments.

By contrast, that same 5th ranked Boilermaker is overshadowed in the media if IU is ranked 14th.  Purdue may still be 'better' on the court. But not in public perception.  

Same thing ACC schools deal with for UNC and Duke.  Over time that will chip away at Purdue's foundation of success.

Oh I don’t disagree with you re the media attention. But I don’t think that would be a huge negative to Purdue/Painter continuing to be a really good program moving forward. But I respect the opinion. 

32 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Can you elaborate on why you think we’ll switch places? 

This is probably the most hype a PU team has had in the pre season since the Baby Boilers. That class had the help of IU being down due to the Sampson situation. This team has the benefit of IU having a bad stretch that ended (hopefully) with nothing positive to point to. 

I think this is Painter’s best chance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

5-7 is about where i expect us to be with how much was lost across the conference.  

The one that still puzzles me is Armaan Franklin. I can't figure out why in the world that guy left IU? Indiana kid, had a huge sophomore leap before the ankle injury, and almost all of his teammates stayed to run it back with the new coach. 

I like our new guys, but would be even more optimistic if Franklin had stayed. 

It's still puzzling to me. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The one that still puzzles me is Armaan Franklin. I can't figure out why in the world that guy left IU? Indiana kid, had a huge sophomore leap before the ankle injury, and almost all of his teammates stayed to run it back with the new coach. 

He loves the pack line.  😜

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think the Peeyoooo Smellermakers are gonna SUCK.

We need more HTD in this forum.  The positive talk about the toiletmakers makes me nauseous.

Relax, it is just speculation.  I have been "talking" positive about them for a few years now...still no FF.  LOL

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

21 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He loves the pack line.  😜

I think there may be some merit here...I always thought Archie was a Tony Bennett "lite" for lack of a better term...I also thought that Bennett's success so far at Virginia was Archie's ceiling at IU...I don't think either one of them would regularly field Final Four teams...

They both like a more structured offense and as @dbmhoosier said, are pack line disciples...

And maybe that's what Armaan is more comfortable with...you also have to wonder how the conversation between Coach Woody and Armaan and his family went...maybe not so well...

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He was bad for IU.  4 years of really bad.  Historically bad.  And the further away we get from him, the more evident it becomes.  Looking back on people who were die hard to the very bitter end supporters of him still boggles my mind.  Blindly supporting someone because of the position they hold is so foreign to me that I can't understand how people do it.

In this thread you said, "but it was fun to speculate....without being told you were ignorant or had an agenda.  

But man, I now have to pick and choose what topics to reply too.  I have to worry about getting torn apart or ridiculed for having an opinion one way or another.  You can't even have an opinion without 3 sources and a detailed essay on why this or that.  We used to be able to post thoughts or believes and others would chime in or ignore it.  That is no longer the case. "

Yet you want to denigrate people who supported another year for Archie?

There was nothing "blind" about the support. Some of us felt he'd hit in bad luck his whole IU tenure (Romeo's hand injury, Hunter's leg, Brunk's back injury, Armaan Franklin's ankle). Some of us felt he had recruited well, and that cancelling the NCAA 2019-2020 Tournament had worked against him. Some of us thought between those factors and the large buyout, it was probable that we were going to keep him.

There's nothing "blind" in a reasoned response, at least to reasonable people...

I said before he got fired, I thought he deserved another year, but I trusted the powers that be, and if they chose to go a different direction that was fine by me...

I said this in the thread I cited...

"I feel like I should post something here, because I'm quite sure that I'm one of the posters that gets under @IowaHoosierFan's (and others) skin...

Like @BGleas, I've tried to watch my tone lately...Even to the posters that try to bait me...And I'll continue to do so..."

But you make that difficult...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In this thread you said, "but it was fun to speculate....without being told you were ignorant or had an agenda.  

But man, I now have to pick and choose what topics to reply too.  I have to worry about getting torn apart or ridiculed for having an opinion one way or another.  You can't even have an opinion without 3 sources and a detailed essay on why this or that.  We used to be able to post thoughts or believes and others would chime in or ignore it.  That is no longer the case. "

Yet you want to denigrate people who supported another year for Archie?

There was nothing "blind" about the support. Some of us felt he'd hit in bad luck his whole IU tenure (Romeo's hand injury, Hunter's leg, Brunk's back injury, Armaan Franklin's ankle). Some of us felt he had recruited well, and that cancelling the NCAA 2019-2020 Tournament had worked against him. Some of us thought between those factors and the large buyout, it was probable that we were going to keep him.

There's nothing "blind" in a reasoned response, at least to reasonable people...

I said before he got fired, I thought he deserved another year, but I trusted the powers that be, and if they chose to go a different direction that was fine by me...

I said this in the thread I cited...

"I feel like I should post something here, because I'm quite sure that I'm one of the posters that gets under @IowaHoosierFan's (and others) skin...

Like @BGleas, I've tried to watch my tone lately...Even to the posters that try to bait me...And I'll continue to do so..."

But you make that difficult...

I posted a while back that it was time for the Archie bashing to end. I was told that no one on here was going to dictate what someone felt or said (paraphrasing here). Was told that if so and so poster had an opinion, by golly they had every right to express it, regardless if the horse had been beat to death.

Guess you should just go on posting. You have as much right as anyone else 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

As for Purdue, I fully expect them to challenge for the B1G title(s) and go deep in the NCAAT.  Painter is to the point where he needs that FF appearance.

I would be shocked if Purdue made a FF run, they might challenge for a B1G title which usually makes them happy and their benchmark for a great season.

7 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I would be shocked if Purdue made a FF run, they might challenge for a B1G title which usually makes them happy and their benchmark for a great season.

The fan base I am related to are getting fed up with the status quo.  They want a FF appearance...before they die.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I posted a while back that it was time for the Archie bashing to end. I was told that no one on here was going to dictate what someone felt or said (paraphrasing here). Was told that if so and so poster had an opinion, by golly they had every right to express it, regardless if the horse had been beat to death.

Guess you should just go on posting. You have as much right as anyone else 

I've ignored a lot of it...

I don't understand it though...he's gone...I'm not worried about him...

I'm happy with the guy we've got...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

The fan base I am related to are getting fed up with the status quo.  They want a FF appearance...before they die.

Being that most of the ones that saw the last FF by a Purdue team are solidly in that prostate checking age range @5fouls was talking about in another thread, I don't blame them 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2