Big Ten 2021-2022

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I think i know maybe two Purdue fans and i have noticed a little grumbling from them about Painter never getting to a FF. 

Well, I am hearing the same "grumbling" about Painter that I heard about Keady.  And tbh, I can't blame them regardless of their conference success.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Well, I am hearing the same "grumbling" about Painter that I heard about Keady.  And tbh, I can't blame them regardless of their conference success.

Keady def stayed a few years too long but it’s crazy to think that Painter is only 50 years old. Anyone grumbling is strange but there are always people that’ll be unhappy I guess. 

Just now, rico said:

Yeah you can't really blame them, they went through it with their greatest coach ever and now it is happening with the guy that looks to be right there with him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rico said:

The fan base I am related to are getting fed up with the status quo.  They want a FF appearance...before they die.

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why would it shock you? 

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Being that most of the ones that saw the last FF by a Purdue team are solidly in that prostate checking age range @5fouls was talking about in another thread, I don't blame them 😉

With all this Purdue FF talk  I had to break this classic out...Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue - Page 92 - Basketball Recruiting - Hoosier  Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports ForumPurdue, known as the Cradle of Astronauts, counts 25 alumni as astronauts including four Apollo astronauts. The span of time between when Boilermaker Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon and Cernan became the last marked an era of unparalleled exploration.

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Keady def stayed a few years too long but it’s crazy to think that Painter is only 50 years old. Anyone grumbling is strange but there are always people that’ll be unhappy I guess. 

It is called "wanting more."  And sometimes it get a damn fine coach fired.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

See this is the different mindset of Hoosier fans and Boilermakers fans. If Painter was at IU as long as he has been at Purdue and never sniffed a FF they would every right to start grumbling about not making one, and in my opinion it would be justified.

Edited by Hoosier51

5 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

See this is the different mindset of Hoosier fans and Boilermakers fans. If Painter was at IU as long as he has been at Purdue and never sniffed a FF they would every right to start grumbling about not making one.

Hard to make the comparison because if Painter was at IU, safe to say he would’ve landed higher-ranked players don’t you think? 

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I get that but I can also look at it as the “grass isn’t always greener” situation. Same thing happened with Tiller. 

You can look at it any way you want to...but the fact remains Painter hasn't made a FF, let alone a championship.

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Am I wrong? Hell Archie got 3 5* guys lol. 

So in other words Painter can only make the FF when he has high level recruits.  Hmm i wonder how teams like Loloya-Chicago, South Carolina and Wisconsin who with all their success doesn't hit it out of the park with their recruiting, all have made the FF recently. Also teams like Wichita State, Oregon and Texas Tech have made it, neither of them recruit at an elite level.

Edited by Hoosier51

18 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

So in other words Painter can only make the FF when he has high level recruits.  Hmm i wonder how teams like Loloya-Chicago, South Carolina and Wisconsin who with all their success doesn't hit it out of the park with their recruiting, all have made the FF recently. Also teams like Wichita State, Oregon and Texas Tech have made it, neither of them recruit at an elite level.

Never said that lol. The tournament can be a crapshoot and you need luck sometimes. But programs that get higher ranked guys will typically have a better chance more often than not. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Never said that lol. The tournament can be a crapshoot and you need luck sometimes. But programs that get higher ranked guys will typically have a better chance more often than not. 

If he doesn't make it with the recruiting class he has now the grumbling should be at an all time high. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

In this thread you said, "but it was fun to speculate....without being told you were ignorant or had an agenda.  

But man, I now have to pick and choose what topics to reply too.  I have to worry about getting torn apart or ridiculed for having an opinion one way or another.  You can't even have an opinion without 3 sources and a detailed essay on why this or that.  We used to be able to post thoughts or believes and others would chime in or ignore it.  That is no longer the case. "

Yet you want to denigrate people who supported another year for Archie?

There was nothing "blind" about the support. Some of us felt he'd hit in bad luck his whole IU tenure (Romeo's hand injury, Hunter's leg, Brunk's back injury, Armaan Franklin's ankle). Some of us felt he had recruited well, and that cancelling the NCAA 2019-2020 Tournament had worked against him. Some of us thought between those factors and the large buyout, it was probable that we were going to keep him.

There's nothing "blind" in a reasoned response, at least to reasonable people...

I said before he got fired, I thought he deserved another year, but I trusted the powers that be, and if they chose to go a different direction that was fine by me...

I said this in the thread I cited...

"I feel like I should post something here, because I'm quite sure that I'm one of the posters that gets under @IowaHoosierFan's (and others) skin...

Like @BGleas, I've tried to watch my tone lately...Even to the posters that try to bait me...And I'll continue to do so..."

But you make that difficult...

Wow,

I wasn't targeting you with this comment. There were multiple posters on here who were die hard to the bitter supporters of whomever our coach is.  I stated that i didn't understand how people can do that.  I didn't point you out specifically and i didn't go back and find a specific post that called you out for what you think.  

I stated and i quote "Blindly supporting someone because of the position they hold is so foreign to me that I can't understand how people do it."

This happens not only for coaches of team, but political leaders and many other instances.

This is your issue, not mine.  Not once in the comment did i mention anyone specific.  If you immediately went to i was targeting you, well that isn't me, that's you.

6 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Looking back on people who were die hard to the very bitter end supporters of him still boggles my mind.  Blindly supporting someone because of the position they hold is so foreign to me that I can't understand how people do it.

I'm part of that crowd, and I was just pointing out two things...first no one I saw on this site supported keeping Archie "blindly." There were reasons, and I spelled some of those out. Just because you didn't agree with that opinion doesn't invalidate it. 

I also pointed out your hypocrisy in first saying you were tired of people getting ridiculed for their opinion, then proceeding to do just that...

I will agree that following anyone "blindly" isn't very smart. And it does happen, particularly in this day and age. 

Edited by IUFLA

What is the infatuation with Michigan?  

Yes, B1G freshman of the year, Hunter Dickinson is back...

Sure, he shot an amazing 60% from the field last year, but he was also the benefactor of a team that shot 38%from 3 point range...they lost 5 of their top 8 players, including Mike Smith (41% from 3), Isaiah Livers (43%), Chaundee Brown (41%), and Franz Wagner (who shot a pedestrian 34% from 3 but was an NBA 1st round draft pick)...

I'm sorry, I don't think they be nearly the team that finished 1st in the Big 10 last year, much less a Final Four team...

• Like 1