Big Ten 2021-2022

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm part of that crowd, and I was just pointing out two things...first no one I saw on this site supported keeping Archie "blindly." There were reasons, and I spelled some of those out. Just because you didn't agree with that opinion doesn't invalidate it. 

I also pointed out your hypocrisy in first saying you were tired of people getting ridiculed for their opinion, then proceeding to do just that...

I will agree that following anyone "blindly" isn't very smart. And it does happen, particularly in this day and age. 

I never ridiculed anyone.  I stated my opinion on what i thought about blindly supporting anyone.  Not once did i make fun of or ridicule a group or specific person.  I stated how "I" can not do that myself.  

And yes i know you were in that group who supported him to the day he was fired.  But i didn't call you out, like you have me, or anyone else in that group.  I made a blanket statement about how I can't see how anyone can do that and can't do that "myself".  If you're offended by that, then that is on you.  You're the one who has made this personal toward me.  You attacked me and called me a hypocrite and called me out.

This seems to be your issue and not mine.  I didn't make a 6 paragraph statement, while searching for a post by you, to use as my case against you.

But i am done with this discussion with you.  Please let it go. I plan to.

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What is the infatuation with Michigan?  

Yes, B1G freshman of the year, Hunter Dickinson is back...

Sure, he shot an amazing 60% from the field last year, but he was also the benefactor of a team that shot 38%from 3 point range...they lost 5 of their top 8 players, including Mike Smith (41% from 3), Isaiah Livers (43%), Chaundee Brown (41%), and Franz Wagner (who shot a pedestrian 34% from 3 but was an NBA 1st round draft pick)...

I'm sorry, I don't think they be nearly the team that finished 1st in the Big 10 last year, much less a Final Four team...

Really good freshmen class helps. 

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It can...

But Kentucky had the number one freshman class last year, and finished 9-16 and 8th in the SEC...the year before? Memphis who finished 21-10 and 5th in the AAC...

So while it's nice to have a great freshman class, I don't think in Michigan's situation it can replace 5 of your top 8 players (and yes, I understand they brought in a couple of transfers as well)...

Not all freshmen have a smooth transition when they start playing against kids just as skilled as they are...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

90% or more of the time, a really good freshman class results in unrealistic expectations from the media and fans.  I'll take Purdue's roster 10 time out of 10 over Michigan's for this year.  That said, if Michigan can get 3 years out of this class, then, yes, it could be special.  But, to expect it as freshmen is too much.   

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

See this is the different mindset of Hoosier fans and Boilermakers fans. If Painter was at IU as long as he has been at Purdue and never sniffed a FF they would every right to start grumbling about not making one, and in my opinion it would be justified.

I wouldn't say he hasn't sniffed one since he was a last second shot from going to one.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

What is the infatuation with Michigan?  

Yes, B1G freshman of the year, Hunter Dickinson is back...

Sure, he shot an amazing 60% from the field last year, but he was also the benefactor of a team that shot 38%from 3 point range...they lost 5 of their top 8 players, including Mike Smith (41% from 3), Isaiah Livers (43%), Chaundee Brown (41%), and Franz Wagner (who shot a pedestrian 34% from 3 but was an NBA 1st round draft pick)...

I'm sorry, I don't think they be nearly the team that finished 1st in the Big 10 last year, much less a Final Four team...

On his show today DD bet someone that IU would go finish higher than UM.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It can...

But Kentucky had the number one freshman class last year, and finished 9-16 and 8th in the SEC...the year before? Memphis who finished 21-10 and 5th in the AAC...

So while it's nice to have a great freshman class, I don't think in Michigan's situation it can replace 5 of your top 8 players (and yes, I understand they brought in a couple of transfers as well)...

Not all freshmen have a smooth transition when they start playing against kids just as skilled as they are...

I also don't get why a lot are so high on OSU.  I think they are good but did lose their backcourt of Walker and Washington

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I also don't get why a lot are so high on OSU.  I think they are good but did lose their backcourt of Walker and Washington

I think OSU will be really good this year as well. They have experience and depth. Cedric Russell (grad tranfer from Louisiana 18 ppg last year) and Jamari Wheeler (Penn State transfer and B1G all defensive team) will be good replacements for Walker and Washington, and I think Meechie Johnson will be a star eventually...Towns, Sueing, Young, EJ Lidell (who I think will vie for B1G POY), Ahrens, and they added Joey Brink for depth...

Edited by IUFLA

23 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think the big ten is as deep as it has been the last couple of years.

The nation says you are thinking incorrectly with like 7 -8 teams in the preseason top 25.  

Purdue is better, IU is better, OSU is better, Illinois takes a small step back, MSU brings in a monster class, Nebraska and Northwestern will be better, Rutgers equal or better, Michigan equal, Maryland better, Wisconsin probably equal or sadly better, Minnesota and Penn State are the only teams clearly worse than last year.  Oh and iowa takes a step back.  

So whats your logic based on?

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

The nation says you are thinking incorrectly with like 7 -8 teams in the preseason top 25.  

Purdue is better, IU is better, OSU is better, Illinois takes a small step back, MSU brings in a monster class, Nebraska and Northwestern will be better, Rutgers equal or better, Michigan equal, Maryland better, Wisconsin probably equal or sadly better, Minnesota and Penn State are the only teams clearly worse than last year.  Oh and iowa takes a step back.  

So whats your logic based on?

I am talking top to bottom where there is a huge drop off after the 8 the team.  The last couple of years the bottom half was more competitive than it appears this year will be.  I see a huge drop off for teams like Iowa and UW

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am talking top to bottom where there is a huge drop off after the 8 the team.  The last couple of years the bottom half was more competitive than it appears this year will be.  I see a huge drop off for teams like Iowa and UW

I agree with that...

As far as Michigan State goes, they were mediocre last year and their best player (Aaron Henry) left...

They might have a good class coming in but unless Hogard, Gabe Brown, Hauser, and Bingham significantly improve, I think the Spartans finish in the lower half...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with that...

As far as Michigan State goes, they were mediocre last year and their best player (Aaron Henry) left...

They might have a good class coming in but unless Hogard, Gabe Brown, Hauser, and Bingham significantly improve, I think the Spartans finish in the lower half...

I see that a lot pick UM ad one of the top teams even though they lost 4 key players from last year.  To me if they are still considered a top team then that doesn't show well for the top of the league.  I know they have a top class coming in but you never know how the new guys will do.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Okay let's just evaluate the 9-14 teams based on the media consensus.

Iowa lost Garza major loss like I said probably worse than last year.  

Wisconsin. How many years in a row are we told Wisconsin's taking a major step back only to not make take any step back. If they finish 10th this will officially be the toughest the conference has ever been one through 10.  

Northwestern people are talking them up like they're going to have a great year but they're slated 11th. that speaks to the depth of the conference. they will be better than last year.

Nebraska will be better than last year.

Penn State less turmoil brought in some new blood new coaches new bodies. Probably can't be worse than last year.

Minnesota doesn't have little Ricky p as their coach. Can't be that much worse than last year?

Edited by NotIThatLives

24 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Michigan is a good mix of being very good last year, still bringing back some key contributors, and having a monster class coming in.

i see people bringing up Kentucky but Michigan has a lot more coming back than most Kentucky teams do.

I don't know... Dickinson is good, Eli Brooks and Brandon Johns are ok, but out of their top 8, that's all the Wolverines bring back...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Okay let's just evaluate the 9-14 teams based on the media consensus.

Iowa lost Garza major loss like I said probably worse than last year.  

Wisconsin. How many years in a row are we told Wisconsin's taking a major step back only to not make take any step back. If they finish 10th this will officially be the toughest the conference has ever been one through 10.  

Northwestern people are talking them up like they're going to have a great year but they're slated 11th. that speaks to the depth of the conference. they will be better than last year.

Nebraska will be better than last year.

Penn State less turmoil brought in some new blood new coaches new bodies. Probably can't be worse than last year.

Minnesota doesn't have little Ricky p as their coach. Can't be that much worse than last year?

You’re basically just saying everybody can’t be worse than last year when half of those teams should absolutely be worse than last year lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

You’re basically just saying everybody can’t be worse than last year when half of those teams should absolutely be worse than last year lol

Iowa and Minnesota.  Thats 2 out of 5 that will most likely be worse.  

Whats your breakdown concerning top to bottom this year compared to last?

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Wisconsin. How many years in a row are we told Wisconsin's taking a major step back only to not make take any step back.

Yes, but they did lose 4 of their top 5 scorers (Trice, Potter, Reuvers, and Ford)...Brad Davisson is back for his like 15th year 😉 and they have a couple of nice young players in Jonathan Davis and Tyler Wahl...and they did bring in a 7 footer in Chris Vogt, but they have less experience than they've had in past years and they have questionable depth...and the chemistry issues between the team and Greg Gard need to be considered too...

I think they're 7th or lower...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Iowa and Minnesota.  Thats 2 out of 5 that will most likely be worse.  

Whats your breakdown concerning top to bottom this year compared to last?

I guess we just the bottom teams differently.  I don't see Iowa or UW being good at all but I could be wrong.  UW had no proven big guys and only had 3 guys who played any minutes last year.

Edited by IU Scott