Big Ten 2021-2022

21 hours ago, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I have no clue how to gauge Minnesota/Pittsburgh, Northwestern/Wake Forest, and Clemson/Rutgers games. They all seem like they could go either way. Same for IU if I am honest.

6-2 now and those 2 could have been Ws as well. Think Wisconsin and MSU will clinch it, couple other games that could go either way.

• Like 2

Our loss was a bad loss I think. I mean it wasn't a total failure or a sign of a problem in the program or none of that non-sense but we lost to a weak team, one that we should have beat. I do think by the end of the year it will certainly prove out that we should have handled them fairly easy. No sky is falling or anything...a very very poor first half put us in a hole that we climbed out of but left us no room for error and allowed a bad team to have a shooters chance...and they did that.

Edited by dgambill

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Our loss was a bad loss I think. I mean it wasn't a total failure or a sign of a problem in the program or none of that non-sense but we lost to a weak team, one that we should have beat. I do think by the end of the year it will certainly prove out that we should have handled them fairly easy. No sky is falling or anything...a very very poor first half put us in a hole that we climbed out of but left us no room for error and allowed a bad team to have a shooters chance...and they did that.

Yeah, Syracuse will likely be a  bubble team at best, but losing on their floor in double OT will not be a bad loss, IMO.  I'd bet Syracuse wins 16-18 games and has at least a few quality wins before the season is over.  If their shooters get hot, they are capable of being very competitive.  I'm just pissed that IU didn't get their Colgate effort.  IU wins that game easily.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, Syracuse will likely be a  bubble team at best, but losing on their floor in double OT will not be a bad loss, IMO.  I'd bet Syracuse wins 16-18 games and has at least a few quality wins before the season is over.  If their shooters get hot, they are capable of being very competitive.  I'm just pissed that IU didn't get their Colgate effort.  IU wins that game easily.

I expected Syracuse's effort....I didn't expect our first half "effort" or "execution" or whatever you want to call it. Second half while still spotted with very disappointing turnovers etc if given the whole game would have resulted in us winning that game by a dozen as we were expected to do. Syracuse plays a tough enough schedule and like you said will have some quality wins....it's just a loss that didn't need to happen...and honestly given our experience in the backcourt and front court...we shouldn't be making so many unforced errors. I mean most of the guys on the court for most of the game are 3-4 year players...just came out flat...and didn't focus on the task.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think North Carolina beats Michigan tonight...

Has anyone seen UM in other games this season? Dickinson has not played much, due to foul problems, but when he has been in he looked rather pudgy/fluffy, ponderous and disengaged. Maybe I don’t clearly remember how he played last year but he looks slow tonight.

14 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Colgate had 11 turnovers and we had 26. We would have won by at least 14  if we had only committed 11 TO’s.

If Syracuse defended against IU like they did against Colgate, IU wouldn't have had 25 turnovers..  Granted, they probably wouldn't have had only 11, but I'm confident the numbers would have been reduced enough to win if Syracuse put forth the same effort as they did with Colgate.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

If Syracuse defended against IU like they did against Colgate, IU wouldn't have had 25 turnovers..  Granted, they probably wouldn't have had only 11, but I'm confident the numbers would have been reduced enough to win if Syracuse put forth the same effort as they did with Colgate.

I think we had a lot of unforced turnovers which had little to do with the Cuse D. Their D couldn’t have been overly tough as we shot 55% from the field and 40% from the three.

15 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I think we had a lot of unforced turnovers which had little to do with the Cuse D. Their D couldn’t have been overly tough as we shot 55% from the field and 40% from the three.

Yeah, IU had some unforced turnovers, but nowhere near 16 of them.  You surely aren't arguing that Syracuse played as poorly as they did against the Fighting Molars?

Edited by FKIM01

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, IU had some unforced turnovers, but nowhere near 16 of them.  You surely aren't arguing that Syracuse played as poorly as they did against the Fighting Molars?

I didn’t see the molar (LOL) game. Just saying we would have won without an insane number of turnovers, many of which had little to do with how Cuse defended/played.

On to the next two games. Neither Wiscy nor NB looked like pushovers tonight. 

Edited by IU878176

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I didn’t see the molar (LOL) game. Just saying we would have won without an insane number of turnovers, many of which had little to do with how Cuse defended/played.

On to the next two games. Neither Wiscy nor NB looked like pushovers tonight. 

Well yeah...just one less turnover could have won that game...BUT...Syracuse played considerably better than they did against Colgate, so likewise, an effort similar to the Colgate game would have won it for IU.  Any number of things would have pushed IU over the top.  I just get frustrated at how opposing teams seem to give a much better effort against IU than say, Colgate.  In the end though, IU can only control their own effort and while that effort was good, I'll agree it was unnecessarily sloppy.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Good call...they are spanking UM.  Is Martelli not on the bench or something?

9 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Has anyone seen UM in other games this season? Dickinson has not played much, due to foul problems, but when he has been in he looked rather pudgy/fluffy, ponderous and disengaged. Maybe I don’t clearly remember how he played last year but he looks slow tonight.

I've said before, Michigan and Illinois are both overrated...

I've watched Michigan twice, and both times they've struggled...Seton Hall (L) and Tarleton St (W)...Tarleton St was within 3 of them with 2 minutes to go, but just didn't have the manpower or the stamina to finish the job...

I can't believe the sporting press is so intellectually lazy to believe that losing 5 good Big 10 players (Livers, Wagner, Smith, Brown, and Davis) out of your 8 man rotation can be replaced by 2 5 star freshmen and a grad transfer. They lack depth and experience...Dickinson is good, but those 5 that they lost, MADE him look good a lot with their play...

Dickinson has seemed a step slow...He's also a bit of an a-hole...Plays a little cheap and dirty...

And you aren't going to out 5 star UNC very often (they have 7 top 70 kids on their roster)...They've always got talent...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JW75 said:

You should have said " Michigan and another team is overrated".....   🙂

You mean the "other team" that lost by 20 to Cincinnati (at full strength) while the Bearcats have subsequently been beaten by Monmouth and won by 1 point vs Miami of Ohio? :D 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You mean the "other team" that lost by 20 to Cincinnati (at full strength) while the Bearcats have subsequently been beaten by Monmouth and won by 1 point vs Miami of Ohio? :D 

Well......... I am a Purdue fan but love basketball overall......   I didn't mean to barge in and stir anything up....  My apologies....  I better just sit back and keep up to date on everything else..   hahahahaha

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

6-2 now and those 2 could have been Ws as well. Think Wisconsin and MSU will clinch it, couple other games that could go either way.

Hey, got this one right but didn't think the ACC would sweep the rest. That Nebraska/NCSU game was something to behold. Reminded me of an Illinois/Rutgers triple OT game a few years back, just 2 bad teams that couldn't figure out how to win.

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think North Carolina beats Michigan tonight...

A real shame there. 😄