Big Ten 2021-2022

13 hours ago, IU878176 said:

Has anyone seen UM in other games this season? Dickinson has not played much, due to foul problems, but when he has been in he looked rather pudgy/fluffy, ponderous and disengaged. Maybe I don’t clearly remember how he played last year but he looks slow tonight.

Dickinson reminds me of Phil Jackson. Long, lanky and not very athletic. A capable player but someone who will never dominate. 

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Strange timing. 

I don't understand doing ao mid season when he has really underperformed for years now.  Danny Manning is likely not the long term solution there either.  

Will be interesting to see who they can bring in.  Will Sean Miller ever get back in?  I think Maryland and Under Armour have always been ok with the gray area.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I watched a little of their loss to Virginia Tech...They had an inside the huddle segment where he looked really stressed, and none of the players seemed to be listening...

I think I saw that.  Weren't half the players looking over him at one of the assistants saying something?  May have been a different sequence.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think I saw that.  Weren't half the players looking over him at one of the assistants saying something?  May have been a different sequence.

Yeah, a couple of them were...I remember Donta Scott looking totally disinterested, and a few gazing off into the crowd... Turgeron looked like he was way too stressed, and I was thinking he didn't look very well...

31 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't understand doing ao mid season when he has really underperformed for years now.  Danny Manning is likely not the long term solution there either.  

Will be interesting to see who they can bring in.  Will Sean Miller ever get back in?  I think Maryland and Under Armour have always been ok with the gray area.  

Has he underperformed though?

his conference finishes were as follows:

2nd

T-3rd

T-2nd

8th

5th

T-1st

T-8th

Granted only one S16 but yeah that’s interesting. 

• Like 2

Maryland is putting themselves first in line for the off season carousel. Why delay the inevitable if that is where you are?  At least their fans don’t have a death watch casting a pall over the rest of the season.

Disarray at another B1G school only helps us this year. I never thought of him as a world beater, but I always thought he was better than given credit for. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Has he underperformed though?

his conference finishes were as follows:

2nd

T-3rd

T-2nd

8th

5th

T-1st

T-8th

Granted only one S16 but yeah that’s interesting. 

Maryland had high standards.  He just never seemed to be able to get them close enough to even smell it, regardless of talent level available to him.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Maryland had high standards.  He just never seemed to be able to get them close enough to even smell it, regardless of talent level available to him.  

Having lived in Maryland for 11 years, I can say that program does have a ton of potential, but the fans are a little delusional about it. They spend most of their time listing off all of the guys from the DMV that didn't go there and arguing that they're one step below a Blue Blood and would be in that conversation if everyone from Maryland went there. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Having lived in Maryland for 11 years, I can say that program does have a ton of potential, but the fans are a little delusional about it. They spend most of their time listing off all of the guys from the DMV that didn't go there and arguing that they're one step below a Blue Blood and would be in that conversation if everyone from Maryland went there. 

Maryland had some damn fine squads in the '80s.  Lefty couldn't get them over the top either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Huh, that kinda sounds familiar. 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3Ballin said:

Huh, that kinda sounds familiar. 🤔

I hear what you're saying, but the difference is that IU has actually been there and done it. It's all hopes and wishes for Maryland fans, while also believing they belong in the conversation. 

With all of that said, it is an attractive destination due to the recruiting base and the Under Armour/Kevin Plank situation. It's a little strange that Maryland hasn't been able to leverage that the same way Oregon has with Nike/Phil Knight. Granted, while UA is extremely successful, they're no Nike. 

• Like 1