Big Ten 2021-2022

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Sophomore Eric Hunter was very solid. Idk if I’ve ever seen a player with as steep a drop-off as I’ve seen with him. 

As much as I hate to admit it, and I really hate to admit it, Purdue still looks like the class of the conference from a talent standpoint. Painter is too good of a coach to not figure it out.

7 hours ago, cthomas said:

As much as I hate to admit it, and I really hate to admit it, Purdue still looks like the class of the conference from a talent standpoint. Painter is too good of a coach to not figure it out.

I don't think they are, other then Ivey their guard play is pretty lackluster and even he has been inconsistent at times. I think they are probably around 5th or 6th best team in the league right now.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Couple of more interesting Big 10 games tonight, both at 7 PM EST...

Michigan (7-5 1-1 in Big Ten) Rutgers (7-5 1-1 in Big 10) on BTN...Michigan is 1-2 on the road, and Rutgers is 7-1 at home...Just ask Purdue :D 

Illinois (9-3 2-0 in Big 10) at Minnesota (10-1 1-1 in Big 10) on FS1...The Barn is one of the hardest venues for a road team to steal one, especially teams that rely on shooters...And what's the Illini's answer to Jamison Battle?

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

I don't think they are, other then Ivey their guard play is pretty lackluster and even he has been inconsistent at times. I think they are probably around 5th or 6th best team in the league right now.

I would have killed for lackluster last night 😳🪠🚽

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Everybody talks about how good Ivey is but in my opinion  watching them all play this year Davis and Murray are better. 

I agree with that. Ivey is a pretty good player and has a lot more talent around him...I've seen him take over games, but normally he doesn't need to carry near the burden Murray and Davis have to...

Davison hit a couple of daggers last night, but without Davis Wisconsin isn't in that game at all...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Any team that (up until last couple weeks) had people on here talking about Final 4's and Big 10 championships can't lose that one at home...and that was with Wiscy going 6-24 from 3. 

Tough one for sure and weird start to conference reset for many.

Johnny Davis going for 37 hurt. That’s been a problem for Purdue this year. In year’s past, they’ve done a good job in limiting the opposing team’s beat player but this year, they haven’t been able to do that against guys like Davis and Harper Jr. Don’t have that defensive stopper this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I think 5th or 6th is a reach. They’ve had some lackluster games but I still think they’re a top 3 team in the league right now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cthomas said:

70th ranked defense is not going to cut it. And Painter is a good coach, but he's not thaaaat good. And he's definitely never been in this position before, where PU is the hunted. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Johnny Davis going for 37 hurt. That’s been a problem for Purdue this year. In year’s past, they’ve done a good job in limiting the opposing team’s beat player but this year, they haven’t been able to do that against guys like Davis and Harper Jr. Don’t have that defensive stopper this year. 

I think the only guy that can stop Johnny Davis is...Johnny Davis.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think 5th or 6th is a reach. They’ve had some lackluster games but I still think they’re a top 3 team in the league right now. 

No i will stick with 5th or 6th, especially if they don't improve their defense and get more consistent guard play.

MSU, OSU and Wisconsin are all clearly better right now. Illini and maybe even Minnesota are just as good and maybe even better then Purdue.

Edited by Hoosier51

20 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Add Murray to the Iowa game, do they win that one?  Easily could be 0-3. 

I forgot about that, i will definitely stick with around 5th.

They let Iowa back into that game and were outplayed in the second half even without Murray.

Edited by Hoosier51

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Any team that (up until last couple weeks) had people on here talking about Final 4's and Big 10 championships can't lose that one at home...and that was with Wiscy going 6-24 from 3. 

Tough one for sure and weird start to conference reset for many.

Not to mention Wisconsin was practically down to walk ons for front line help at the end due to the officiating...

If Big 10 officials are going to allow Cockburn, Edey, and to a lesser extent Dickinson camp in the lane and use their shoulders and forearms to create space, Illinois, Purdue, and Michigan will profit...

And as much as I absolutely hate saying this, I do think Purdue is top 4 in the Big 10...although at this stage I think both OSU and MSU are clearly better...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Not to mention Wisconsin was practically down to walk ons for front line help at the end due to the officiating...

If Big 10 officials are going to allow Cockburn, Edey, and to a lesser extent Dickinson camp in.tje lane and use their shoulders and forearms to create space, Illinois, Purdue, and Michigan will profit...

And as much as I absolutely hate saying this, I do think Purdue is top 4 in the Big 10...although at this stage I think both OSU and MSU are clearly better...

No doubt Purdue is up there and I'm with you on Ohio St/Sparty...I'm just trying to figure out maybe the macro view of college hoops. Is it just the Big 10 or is it nationally that teams that are really, really good have multiple games in a season where you go what was that? 

Even Sparty should have lost at Northwestern...Ohio St too at Nebraska. Guess I need a few weeks to see how things shake out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

No doubt Purdue is up there and I'm with you on Ohio St/Sparty...I'm just trying to figure out maybe the macro view of college hoops. Is it just the Big 10 or is it nationally that teams that are really, really good have multiple games in a season where you go what was that? 

Even Sparty should have lost at Northwestern...Ohio St too at Nebraska. Guess I need a few weeks to see how things shake out.

I think the only blowouts we're going to see in the Big 10 this year are when some of the weaker teams play on the road...when they're at home, it's anybody's ballgame...

That Nebraska game at Lincoln we have coming up in a couple weeks has me concerned...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

There are no great teams and everyone has flaws so you will see bad games from everyone.

Also I will put this here, for the 3rd time I have tested positive for Covid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There are no great teams and everyone has flaws so you will see bad games from everyone.

Life on the road is going to be tough in the B1G, and really it's going to be tough at home for teams also. Like you said there are no great teams just a bunch of good ones.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

No i will stick with 5th or 6th, especially if they don't improve their defense and get more consistent guard play.

MSU, OSU and Wisconsin are all clearly better right now. Illini and maybe even Minnesota are just as good and maybe even better then Purdue.

Agree to disagree. I think Purdue is still a better team than Wisconsin even with the loss last night. 

58 minutes ago, JW75 said:

Add Murray to the Iowa game, do they win that one?  Easily could be 0-3. 

Very true. I feel like Purdue has maybe been guilty of reading the press clippings and thinking they can just show up to some of these games and win. Haven’t had that typical Purdue mentality for awhile now which sucks.