Big Ten 2021-2022

27 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I just looked and going back all the way to the IU game Edey hasn't come close to fouling out and hasn't had even four in any game since then and only one in that game. I would imagine if I wanted to look more this would be the case for most of the season. Him and Kofi are allowed to get away with murder by throwing their elbows and just plowing over people.

Is that surprising though? He only plays 19 mpg. Sure he probably gets away with elbows but you don’t think other teams get away with fouling him and it not being called too? It clearly goes both ways. 

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is that surprising though? He only plays 19 mpg. Sure he probably gets away with elbows but you don’t think other teams get away with fouling him and it not being called too? It clearly goes both ways. 

19 minutes a game but he has shot 117 fts, Williams plays the same amount of minutes but has only shot 86, so no I don't think it goes both ways. Also for comparison Race who plays down low a lot and plays 28 minutes has only shot 73. Now to be fair Trayce shoots a bunch but he also plays 31 minutes a game.

Edited by Hoosier51

10 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

19 minutes a game but he has shot 117 fts, Williams plays the same amount of minutes but has only shot 86, so no I don't think it goes both ways. Also for comparison Race who plays down low a lot and plays 28 minutes has only shot 73. Now to be fair Trayce shoots a bunch but he also plays 31 minutes a game.

I mean the dude is 7’4 lol. Is 117 that crazy? Race isn’t as much of a low post guy as Tre IMO. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean the dude is 7’4 lol. Is 117 that crazy? Race isn’t as much of a low post guy as Tre IMO. 

Being 7'4 doesn't change the fact that he gets away with murder down low. When you only play 19 minutes a game no matter what your size and shoot 117 FTs you can't say that he doesn't get the calls. It might not be crazy numbers but it is still a pretty good amount for only 19 minutes a game.

Edited by Hoosier51

21 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

OSU looked slow and sloppy today which means they’ll be sharp and fast Monday. Although 48 hour turnaround is tough 

I think if you play OSU hard that they don't respond well to that, so the Hoosiers need to be in their chest the whole game. Like you said they looked slow and sloppy today so with the fast turnaround the Hoosiers need to punch them in the mouth early and get them off their game.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. My Illini buddies are all saying or thinking the same thing. Or could be like us with TJD vs both Purdue and Illinois. One official and your best is out of the game in 4 minutes.

Since underwear 🩲 complained to big ten(Ed Hightower) after game at Illini Edey has been reffed completely different 

It’s back to….he’s big so 2 hands in the back is ok 

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Really don't like seeing Iowa beat OSU on the road. It's going to be tough for the Hoosiers to go in there and win, but I think they can.

I watched about 10 minutes of the second half. OSU's offense is 9th on Kenpom, but today it looked more like 90th. Iowa smothered them. If you get in their grill, they seem to fold. We held them to 21 points in the second half when we played them. They scored 24 in the second half today. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

I watched about 10 minutes of the second half. OSU's offense is 9th on Kenpom, but today it looked more like 90th. Iowa smothered them. If you get in their grill, they seem to fold. We held them to 21 points in the second half when we played them. They scored 24 in the second half today. 

Yeah, I think if you get after them they play kind of soft at times. 👍

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I looked at their roster and didn't realize Plummer and Grandson was grad transfers.  They could lose their starting lineup from this year, so how will they be next year.

Plummer is a grad xfer but Grandison was not. He was an old school, sit out a season guy. Sat one and this is his second season playing for the Illini.

20 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep I’m guessing they won’t have a choice but to bring in more transfers because their team will likely take a big step back next year. 

Have already added a mid year guy, Dain Dainja from Baylor. Illini are full up on scholarships, so any other additions will depend on who comes back or not. Grandison, Hutcherson and Kofi all could come back but there are 3 incoming recruits signed already so....? Have a feeling this offseason roster juggling is going to become the norm.

They do have a good young core with Curbelo, Hawkins, Goode and Melendez but yeah it will be rough without more help.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Hard to pick a big ten favorite for next year.  If Edey returns boilers are in the mix.  IU brings back race & TJD they are in for sure 

it’s not on the coaches…it’s up to the players to improve over the summer 

as we know scholarships are not guaranteed 

I do wonder if any one of Hunter, Stefanovich, or Williams comes back. I know they’ve all said they won’t but they could change their minds. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

41 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Huh? They play completely different positions and are not competing for minutes.

Sports Reference has him listed as a guard...

And on a college basketball team, especially nowadays where many players are interchangeable, players are competing for minutes with everyone on the roster...

I'd think Illini fans would rather have Frazier run the point and give Melendez more minutes in the guard rotation than Curbelo...

Curbelo has been terrible...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

Curbelo is Devonte Green 2.0, he will have his occasional big moments but will be more frustrating than not most of the times.

Devonte Green could at least at times get hot from the outside...Curbelo is at 38% overall and a blistering 18% from 3 this year...And a 1:1 assist to turnover ration isn't exactly what I'm looking for in a point guard...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Devonte Green could at least at times get hot from the outside...Curbelo is at 38% overall and a blistering 18% from 3 this year...And a 1:1 assist to turnover ration isn't exactly what I'm looking for in a point guard...

Yeah that is true, he had some big games for the Hoosiers. 👍

• Like 1