Big Ten 2021-2022

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

Keep watching this after he hits Gard, he goes after someone else. His days in Ann Arbor could be over.

From this video Howard was clearly trying to avoid a confrontation. First by not participating in the handshake. Then by trying to do a quick blow by. Gard stopped him and exchanged pleasantries.

Howard will get the more severe penalty but Gard provoked it. Poke a bear and  get eaten is your own ignorance.

Both parties at fault but had Gard not stopped Howard then this would be a non issue.

• Like 4

Just now, Inequality said:

From this video Howard was clearly trying to avoid a confrontation. First by not participating in the handshake. Then by trying to do a quick blow by. Gard stopped him and exchanged pleasantries.

Howard will get the more severe penalty but Gard provoked it. Poke a bear and  get eaten is your own ignorance.

Both parties at fault but had Gard not stopped Howard then this would be a non issue.

Yeah he stopped him, but I doubt it is the first time one coach has stopped another to have a conversation. One thing I do know though is, usually a melee doesn't break out because of it. Howards anger issues are becoming a problem for Michigan since this isn't his first time.

I could see Gard getting one game and Howards career possibly over at Michigan.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No one has defended Howard. We all agree he was wrong.

Why do you think you have the right to touch someone who very clearly doesn’t want to be touched?

It's clear you see this so much differently than almost everyone else so I will just save my words. This happens quite a bit in coaching but most rational thinking human beings don't resort to throwing punches.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

He went after someone after he hit Gard. It's no different then Woody.

I saw the video.  It was an open-handed slap, not a punch.  In the grand scheme of thing, the worst thing about it is it initiated the player fracas.  He should be suspended for the year.  Not arguing that.  But, if he is my employee, I don't fire him specifically for that infraction. He thought his players were intentionally embarrassed and he stood up for them.  Best thing Gard could have done was let him walk by  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Keep watching this after he hits Gard, he goes after someone else. His days in Ann Arbor could be over.

Looks to me that after Gard grabs Howard's arm Howard get a hand full of Gards shirt balled up in a fist. I just dont see how anyone that is not looking to do anything other than find something to argue about could think what Gard did was aggressive.  I can't stand Wisconsin but come on man

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I saw the video.  It was an open-handed slap, not a punch.  In the grand scheme of thing, the worst thing about it is it initiated the player fracas.  He should be suspended for the year.  Not arguing that.  But, if he is my employee, I don't fire him specifically for that infraction. He thought his players were intentionally embarrassed and he stood up for them.  Best thing Gard could have done was let him walk by  

Can't say I agree with you LOL.

22 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Doesn't matter if he has 200lbs on him.  No one has the right to put their hands on anyone.  Doesn't matter.  Doesn't mean the other coach, who said something and got slapped for it, should have gotten hit.  Still doesn't resolve someone of physically putting their hands on anyone.  Just because its 2 men and one is larger then the other doesn't change anything.  Put your hands on someone and something could happen.

I am not defensing Howard.  He should be punished.  But so should Gard.  He instigated it and it got out of hand from there.  Had he just walked by, nothing happens.  At all.

If what happened was threatening and putting hands on someone inappropriately then I would have constantly been fighting. 

I mean, if I'm doling out blame on this one I'm going 2-5% Gard, I guess, and then 98-95% Howard. 

I've seen tons of coaches sort tug another coaches arm like that in a handshake line, this is only the 2nd time I've seen something like that (the first was a game of mine in college when an opposing player tried to throw down with my coach). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

This. Gard wasn’t threatening in any way, shape, or form. He wanted to talk about what had happened. 

If this was anywhere other than a basketball court, what Gard did could be argued as assault.  It was obvious that Howard was pissed, all he had to do was the good game blow by and keep going.  He grabbed him and escalated the situation.  Then the assistant coach came over and escalated more and he was the one that got popped.

Again, I am with Kob on this, Wisconsin has a style and style of play where they pus the envelope, constantly, and then play surprised when they get the reaction they were trying for.

You don't want hit, keep your damn hands off the 6'10" guy after the game.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It's clear you see this so much differently than almost everyone else so I will just save my words. This happens quite a bit in coaching but most rational thinking human beings don't resort to throwing punches.

Yes, it’s clear I don’t think I have a right to put my hands on people and you think you do. If someone doesn’t consent to being touched you don’t touch them. It’s simple.

That doesn’t me a Howard had a right to do what he did. Howard was absolutely at fault, he just isn’t the only one who was at fault. 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If this was anywhere other than a basketball court, what Gard did could be argued as assault.  It was obvious that Howard was pissed, all he had to do was the good game blow by and keep going.  He grabbed him and escalated the situation.  Then the assistant coach came over and escalated more and he was the one that got popped.

Again, I am with Kob on this, Wisconsin has a style and style of play where they pus the envelope, constantly, and then play surprised when they get the reaction they were trying for.

You don't want hit, keep your damn hands off the 6'10" guy after the game.

Garden looked pretty good after the game so the 6 10 tough guy did nothing but look like a horses ass. There's more contact trying to get a drink at the bar than what Gard did, hardly assault.  

• Like 3

Knight and Lou Henson should sit down with these two and help them resolve this issue, you know, for the sake of civility and decorum.   My view is that canceling the end of game handshake doesn't "force/encourage" players and coaches to develop self-control and sportsmanship. If the Big Ten Competition Committee(if there is one) thinks that sportsmanship is important, than they need to look at game film and determine if teams are practicing the "right" behavior during the game. Heck, the flop rule was put in for this very reason, right?  Play hard, play fair, shake hands, don't be a freaking baby about it.

• Like 3

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

You chose to react as you will.  Doesn't make it right for someone to physically touch you if you don't want it to happen.  Period

Then don't go through the hand shake line because u know it's coming. He is the one that put his finger.im Gards face  to say he would not forget. Plenty of coached have been pissed off and skip the line or do the fly by he choose to confront Gard

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t condone what Howard did, at all.

I don’t condone what Gard did, or Krabanoff did, at all. You guys defending the Wisconsin actions are telling on yourselves with the type of behavior you think is acceptable. You don’t have a right to put your hands on people, to force them to engage with you, or anything else. Period. Respect other people - men, women, children, whatever - period. Don’t touch people or get into their space when they don’t want it. It’s really simple. 

It is not that simple. Gard touching Howard has NOTHING to do with Howard, 30 seconds later, reaching around 5 people to hit am assistant coach that never touched him.

There were several people between Juwan and the Wisconsin coaches when he threw the smack.

Gard maybe should kot have held Juwans arm. But there is zero equivalency between that and what Juwan did.

• Like 6

So, how does one know that a person does/doesn’t want to be touched? Isn’t that kind of an after the fact bit of information you learn about a person? 

I have a client who is a member of Mensa. For their meetings, members wear a button, green light, yellow light or red light. Approachable, maybe, and don’t come near me. Is that really where this needs to go?

• Like 1