Jump to content

Big Ten 2021-2022


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You don't have the right to the defenders space. He can take a step back/dribble if he wants to face up. You can't turn and clear. You either have to go over your shoulder for a shot, step back, or you will have to clear the defender by bringing the ball low when facing up (a bad idea for most as you have to have strong hands to keep the ball and not get it knocked away...but I saw Tim Duncan use that swing through move quite a bit). In general I think all these bigs beat on each other a bit too much in the B1G....both ways. While I'm not trying to advocate for soft players the league is much much too physical as it is....advocating turning with your elbow is hardly something that should be considered. The offensive player has no right to turn and face if he has to go through the defender to do it. Don't turn your back to the basket...nobody made you do that. Not the defenders job to let you turn back around and back up and give you space. If you want to face up probably should move further out on the floor and defenders will likely back off and give you space....of course that probably doesn't help you unless you can knock down jumpers.

The defender does have a right to his space, but as soon as he is out of his space then he doesn't have that right anymore.  I don't think many defenders are able to prevent Edey or Kofi from driving them back while maintaining verticality, most defenders are leaning into them. If a defender is leaning into the offensive player as he turns then it isn't an offensive foul. 

I'm painting with a broad brush and this isn't directed at just you, but the reason it isn't typically called when Kofi or Edey turns and their shoulder or elbow makes contact is typically because the defender is leaning into their space. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

The defender does have a right to his space, but as soon as he is out of his space then he doesn't have that right anymore.  I don't think many defenders are able to prevent Edey or Kofi from driving them back while maintaining verticality, most defenders are leaning into them. If a defender is leaning into the offensive player as he turns then it isn't an offensive foul. 

I'm painting with a broad brush and this isn't directed at just you, but the reason it isn't typically called when Kofi or Edey turns and their shoulder or elbow makes contact is typically because the defender is leaning into their space. 

Agreed....but the physicality of creating space is often way way to liberal and like I said you can turn and swing through etc as long as you aren't using your elbows to create the space. Guys have used that quick pull through for many years to do that....I just wish the banging both ways was called more closely and we got a more fluid game in the B1G that I see in other conferences. I mean I watched the SEC the other day and yes there are some bigs playing the way we see in B1G conference but for the most part they all play a face up game and drive/shoot....not the get the ball 15 feet away and dribble bang your way down into the low block until your defender is beneath the rim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure what will happen in coming years with tv contracts but I hope the Big 10 does whatever it takes to make sure Robbie Hummel is calling our conference games often. Really surprised how he's taken to the roll and he's really, really good. Could listen to him all the time. 

He is really good....not sure how he feels about calling IU games but he almost sounds like Jay Bilas....but in a good way...when he does games. He is an easy listen...and does a good job breaking down what is happening on the court.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure what will happen in coming years with tv contracts but I hope the Big 10 does whatever it takes to make sure Robbie Hummel is calling our conference games often. Really surprised how he's taken to the roll and he's really, really good. Could listen to him all the time. 

I thought both he and Benetti we're praying at the end of last night's game for IU to lose...

But, maybe I'm just sensitive...that's my hook...my sensitivity 😁

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought both he and Benetti we're praying at the end of last night's game for IU to lose...

But, maybe I'm just sensitive...that's my hook...my sensitivity 😁

Robbie just wants to get out of the barn walking 😳

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought both he and Benetti we're praying at the end of last night's game for IU to lose...

But, maybe I'm just sensitive...that's my hook...my sensitivity 😁

Minnesota scored 34 points in 8 minutes.  If Minnny would have completed the comeback, it would have been the greatest in college basketball history.  Dont blame the announcers at all for getting into the moment.

Hummel is very good.  My favorite announcer going right now.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Minnesota scored 34 points in 8 minutes.  If Minnny would have completed the comeback, it would have been the greatest in college basketball history.  Dont blame the announcers at all for getting into the moment.

Hummel is very good.  My favorite announcer going right now.

I love me some Gus all the time so he'll always be my favorite in any sport.....but from an analyst role Hummel has surpassed if not all most of the BTN folks already. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Current seeding 😅😅😅. Not liking the UM matchup, hope they can lose 3 more games 

image.png.66988fbf6bc5988768958d5d32999ffe.png

I like it. Payback for UM, and we can absolutely beat Wiscy and OSU. I see a path to the finals quite honestly! Don’t mean to get ahead of myself, but we match up well with those teams. Not so confident we beat Purdue or Illinois but anything can happen once you get to that point. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I like it. Payback for UM, and we can absolutely beat Wiscy and OSU. I see a path to the finals quite honestly! Don’t mean to get ahead of myself, but we match up well with those teams. Not so confident we beat Purdue or Illinois but anything can happen once you get to that point. 

I’ll be there to witness or not that will happen, just need 1 win

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Minnesota scored 34 points in 8 minutes.  If Minnny would have completed the comeback, it would have been the greatest in college basketball history.  Dont blame the announcers at all for getting into the moment.

Hummel is very good.  My favorite announcer going right now.

Purdue luvah! 

Hummel is ok...not the best, but get past the stench of West Lafayette he's not bad. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Go Sparty and Sconnie?

MSU and Michigan I'm not sure which would help us more if any...

I'd rather see Purdue win and drop Wisconsin into a 3 way tie with Illinois and the Boilers simply so it would give us at least a chance to knock Purdue out of a title shot on Saturday...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

MSU and Michigan I'm not sure which would help us more if any...

I'd rather see Purdue win and drop Wisconsin into a 3 way tie with Illinois and the Boilers simply so it would give us at least a chance to knock Purdue out of a title shot on Saturday...

UM losing would help us more since they are right there on the bubble with us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked at some mock drafts and found one that has 4 big ten freshman in the first round. It was the first time I saw Branham and Diabate in the first round.  The other two is McGowan and Christie.  I know we have talked about the big ten not getting top recruits but if 4 freshman goes in tbe first round that is pretty impressive.  I just wonder how many of those guys will actually leave after this season.  I also saw Houstain in tbe top of the second round.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

MSU and Michigan I'm not sure which would help us more if any...

I'd rather see Purdue win and drop Wisconsin into a 3 way tie with Illinois and the Boilers simply so it would give us at least a chance to knock Purdue out of a title shot on Saturday...

Well Sparty isn’t on the bubble and UM is. I can’t stand Sparty but…

I want Wisconsin a week from Friday. I am sick of losing to those guys. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...