Big Ten 2021-2022

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Coming into this season the Gophers were considered to be possibly the worst team in the league, they are looking anything but that so far this season.

New coaching staff and 13 new players 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/wolverines/2021/12/michigan-basketball-welcomes-minnesota-and-its-completely-overhauled-roster.html%3FoutputType%3Damp

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Transfer portal is going to make it to where coaches won't have four or five seasons to use the excuse of having to get their own players in. To many good experienced players transfering these days.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

AZ is really good. At least top 3 nationally, maybe #1? Would like to see them go up against Purdue.

Arizona is pretty good, but a team that makes 16-36 3s at home with one of the better crowds i've seen at a game this season should beat them. Kofi played soft at times, until they started going to him late in the second half. If Frazier and Plummer don't start going crazy from 3s Arizona walks away in that game.

Edited by Hoosier51

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm sure they rival the 76 Hoosiers...🙄

Beside 2 overrated Big 10 teams, who have they beaten?

I watched Arizona early in the season and their top 4, iirc, are all transfers.  They looked very mature and solid.  Great ball movement, finding the open guy.  Not sure how that went against Illinois, must have been good enough.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Au revoir Wolverines...

Michigan is really puzzling to me. Have to dive in a bit on what seems to be ailing them besides loss of players. Was looking at their B10 schedule once that resumes...at Rutgers, Sparty, Purdue, at Illinois...if they don't figure it out they'll be 1-5 in conference real quick.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Michigan is really puzzling to me. Have to dive in a bit on what seems to be ailing them besides loss of players. Was looking at their B10 schedule once that resumes...at Rutgers, Sparty, Purdue, at Illinois...if they don't figure it out they'll be 1-5 in conference real quick.

I think Michigan is in some real trouble right now.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

besides loss of players.

It's simply that...

Mike Smith > Davante Jones 

Franz Wagner > Brandon Johns 

Isaiah Livers > Caleb Houstan (for now...Houstan will be pretty good if he stays more than 1 year) 

And the bench hit of Chaundee Brown and Austin Davis hurts...

I couldn't believe they were so highly ranked at the beginning of the season...Diabate is pretty good too, but freshmen are so inconsistent...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

Just now, IUFLA said:

It's simply that...

Mike Smith > Davante Jones 

Franz Wagner > Brandon Johns 

Isaiah Livers > Caleb Houstan (for now...Houstan will be pretty good if he stays more than 1 year) 

And the bench hit of Chaundee Brown and Austin Davis hurts...

I couldn't believe they were so highly ranked at the beginning of the season...Diabate is pretty good too, but Freshman are so inconsistent...

Thanks for this. When you lay it out like this it makes perfect sense. So ranking was name only. I know it's fun to talk rankings and stuff but I almost wish they would just wait until January 1st. Some really good teams never get ranked....and some teams that have no business being ranked keep hanging on in top 25 all year because of lofty preseason rankings. 

While on subject....Ohio St looks really, really good to me gang. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for this. When you lay it out like this it makes perfect sense. So ranking was name only. I know it's fun to talk rankings and stuff but I almost wish they would just wait until January 1st. Some really good teams never get ranked....and some teams that have no business being ranked keep hanging on in top 25 all year because of lofty preseason rankings. 

While on subject....Ohio St looks really, really good to me gang. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but the experience/depth swap for freshmen talent just can't be overlooked...

And wait til OSU gets Justice Sueing and Seth Towns back (again with the broken record!)...😉

• Like 2

Just like Illinois...you think they would have lost that game yesterday with Dosunmu playing? Not on your life...

At the end, Underwood would have broken out that special playbook (the one that says "Ayo Iso!") and the Illini would have walked away with a W...

But Ayo is in Chicago...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

The world tried to pretend like the Big10 was going to be down this year ….. not so sure about that. A couple teams, Maryland and Michigan, are underachieving, and maybe PSU is really bad, but other than that Minny, Wiscy, Iowa, and Rutgers appear to be better than we thought! Just no easy games. 

The non-con gives us a measuring stick as to the B1G's toughness.  The NCAAT is where we will be ultimately judged.

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Did they finally ditch the pack line?

Yeah, they upgraded coaches for sure.

4 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Arizona is pretty good, but a team that makes 16-36 3s at home with one of the better crowds i've seen at a game this season should beat them. Kofi played soft at times, until they started going to him late in the second half. If Frazier and Plummer don't start going crazy from 3s Arizona walks away in that game.

Some bad decisions on offense down the stretch were killers -  Kofi taking a mid range shot and Plummer getting a 5 sec call. Need Curbelo back, I think he'll be there for Jan but is it too late?

Plummer's been "going crazy" all season, it was good to see Trent get his game going.

4 hours ago, rico said:

We will see what 'Zona has here in about 10 days.  In a 3 game stretch the 'Cats have @ Tennessee, @ UCLA, and @ USC. 

All on the road....oof.

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I watched Arizona early in the season and their top 4, iirc, are all transfers.  They looked very mature and solid.  Great ball movement, finding the open guy.  Not sure how that went against Illinois, must have been good enough.  

Nah, their studs are all 2nd year guys recruited by Miller. Several European kids that really know how to play. They do have a couple of reserves that are transfers. Mathurin and Tubelis are first round NBA picks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1