So starting July 1st we all know players can jump on the NIL bandwagon. All top programs are gonna realistically be on an even playing field when it comes to this. I have an idea. Wouldn’t it be smart for a school like Indiana to hire a team of people that will get Indiana kids the absolute best NIL opportunities money can buy? In order to have a leg up on the recruiting trail there is no limits when it comes to what Indiana can provide their kids. Ideas? Suggestions?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

So starting July 1st we all know players can jump on the NIL bandwagon. All top programs are gonna realistically be on an even playing field when it comes to this. I have an idea. Wouldn’t it be smart for a school like Indiana to hire a team of people that will get Indiana kids the absolute best NIL opportunities money can buy? In order to have a leg up on the recruiting trail there is no limits when it comes to what Indiana can provide their kids. Ideas? Suggestions?

I think we have consultants in the compliance department...but there should be no doubt that we should have alumni & grad students from our own Kelly School of Business that should assigned and working with all our student athletes across the board. Proactive should be our approach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I thought IU had already hired a firm to help the athletes with this

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think we have consultants in the compliance department...but there should be no doubt that we should have alumni & grad students from our own Kelly School of Business that should assigned and working with all our student athletes across the board. Proactive should be our approach.

Compliance people would be the last folks I would consult with in that area.  In my industry (investment management), we refer to them as the business prevention department.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought IU had already hired a firm to help the athletes with this

I thought so too, but maybe we have bad memories?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The problem with this is that other schools also utilize this company so they don’t really have an advantage. They need cutting edge ideas on top of working with this firm IMO.

Right, but it does show that they're serious about helping the athletes earn money and aren't just sitting around twiddling their thumbs. So they're not disadvantaging themselves like they would without a deal with a company like that. From what I've seen, under Dolson IU has been one of the leading schools in preparing for NIL.

One advantage IU has over many other schools (at least as far as basketball is concerned) is a large and passionate fanbase. This can lead to more money for athletes. On that note, I started a twitter account just for the purpose of giving IU athletes another follower since I already had FB and Instagram accounts. I recommend to any others on here without accounts on those platforms to make accounts even if the only thing they do is follow IU athletes.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iuprof said:

Hey all-

Have not posted for awhile, but I think NIL is going to be huge for Indiana and recruiting. Indiana is not going to pass a State law covering NIL, so they will not have to follow State rules. IU and Wisconsin are the only ones who will not be following State law. I don't how much advantage if any this will be, but Indiana has been really blazing there own path.

Indiana was the first school in the country to have a task force related to NIL. They have an incredible system set up and ready to go which will have the Kelly School of Business supporting it, and of course Opendorse, to tailor content for each athlete and choose a plan for each athlete. The Indiana Daily Student wrote a piece on NIL which is really informative on just how far ahead of the NIL game IU is, and as they say, they are doing it for selfish reasons: Recruiting! Remember, IU's fan base is huge and in every State!

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2021/06/legislation-or-not-iu-is-ready-to-give-athletes-competitive-brand-building-edge-nil

Thank you! Sounds very promising! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iuprof said:

Hey all-

Have not posted for awhile, but I think NIL is going to be huge for Indiana and recruiting. Indiana is not going to pass a State law covering NIL, so they will not have to follow State rules. IU and Wisconsin are the only ones who will not be following State law. I don't how much advantage if any this will be, but Indiana has been really blazing there own path.

Indiana was the first school in the country to have a task force related to NIL. They have an incredible system set up and ready to go which will have the Kelly School of Business supporting it, and of course Opendorse, to tailor content for each athlete and choose a plan for each athlete. The Indiana Daily Student wrote a piece on NIL which is really informative on just how far ahead of the NIL game IU is, and as they say, they are doing it for selfish reasons: Recruiting! Remember, IU's fan base is huge and in every State!

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2021/06/legislation-or-not-iu-is-ready-to-give-athletes-competitive-brand-building-edge-nil

Whether it’s quality info or opinions, you always deliver!

Outside the box thought... with the sudden DRASTIC course turn in the MBB program of the last few months (coaching staff, Department Org, reported NIL Managment approach)... there must be someone in the admin, that’s gone, that had huge power, that I now place next to Myles Brand in my score card. Call it the HOT sheet. 

9 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Right, but it does show that they're serious about helping the athletes earn money and aren't just sitting around twiddling their thumbs. So they're not disadvantaging themselves like they would without a deal with a company like that. From what I've seen, under Dolson IU has been one of the leading schools in preparing for NIL.

One advantage IU has over many other schools (at least as far as basketball is concerned) is a large and passionate fanbase. This can lead to more money for athletes. On that note, I started a twitter account just for the purpose of giving IU athletes another follower since I already had FB and Instagram accounts. I recommend to any others on here without accounts on those platforms to make accounts even if the only thing they do is follow IU athletes.

You make some very good points and I do agree.

6 hours ago, BeenShermin said:

So what stops Michael Jordan from offering big deals from Jordan Brand to the top recruits as long as they play for UNC?  Or Phil Knight from offering big Nike deals to top recruits as long as they play for Oregon?

Haven't they already been doing that?  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, BeenShermin said:

So what stops Michael Jordan from offering big deals from Jordan Brand to the top recruits as long as they play for UNC?  Or Phil Knight from offering big Nike deals to top recruits as long as they play for Oregon?

Thanks @IUfaninIllinois for starting the thread. I enjoy talking about this topic because it’s really interesting. 

To answer the question (with speculation), Nike is still a company that needs to make smart business decisions. They have a board of directors to answer to, CEOs and owners can’t just do whatever they want. A market value will be established and companies won’t be frivolous paying over that value in order to secure a recruit for one executive’s allegiance to a certain program. Based on the scenario you painted above, why doesn’t Michael Jordan offer huge, over valued endorsement contracts to secure free agents in Charlotte? 

A company uses marketing to make money from a specific endorsement, not break even….or lose it. Further more, how is Michigan or UCLA going to feel about MJ and Jumpman steering recruits to UNC? They’re endorsed by Jumpman too. Playing favorites could put those sponsorships in jeopardy…..and these college sponsorships are way more valuable to Jordan than a recruit who may only stay at UNC for a year. 

Water will find it’s level. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, Iuprof said:

Hey all-

Can't like this post enough. I feel like IU is ready to hit the ground running on this stuff. Shoot I emailed Altius already and asked when will they be letting us know how and when to contact. I don't have the resources of large companies or a guy like Ken Nunn.....but I'm down with the expense if it's reasonable. 

Some are saying this is going to make everything the wild west. I say to that it's always been the wild west....at least this way it's above board and if the kids want to keep earning $....soon they will eventually be paying taxes on those earnings which will make the money trail even more transparent. 

• Like 2

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

So with the NCAA suspending the rule today prohibiting athletes from making money off their name and likeness starting tomorrow, I wonder if we will see an immediate impact from it.

A bunch of athletes already have deals lined up and are just waiting on July 1st to sign them. I don't know about IU athletes but at least some of them probably have agreements ready.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks @IUfaninIllinois for starting the thread. I enjoy talking about this topic because it’s really interesting. 

To answer the question (with speculation), Nike is still a company that needs to make smart business decisions. They have a board of directors to answer to, CEOs and owners can’t just do whatever they want. A market value will be established and companies won’t be frivolous paying over that value in order to secure a recruit for one executive’s allegiance to a certain program. Based on the scenario you painted above, why doesn’t Michael Jordan offer huge, over valued endorsement contracts to secure free agents in Charlotte? 

A company uses marketing to make money from a specific endorsement, not break even….or lose it. Further more, how is Michigan or UCLA going to feel about MJ and Jumpman steering recruits to UNC? They’re endorsed by Jumpman too. Playing favorites could put those sponsorships in jeopardy…..and these college sponsorships are way more valuable to Jordan than a recruit who may only stay at UNC for a year. 

Water will find it’s level. 

You’re very welcome and I mean I think you’re absolutely spot on with what you said because if what were true above happened then we could ask Mark Cuban to tell al of his sponsors to sponsor our basketball team and they could all even be sponsored by the Dallas Mavericks. I will say I do wish Cuban was more involved in the basketball program in the sense of could you imagine Cuban asking Luka Doncic to come hang out with the kids for a long weekend and he gives him some sort of appearance fee. I mean kids eat that type of stuff up and it’s something I wish Indiana used to it’s advantage more. Or even for CMW asking some former players he coached. Now a days you just have to get creative in your recruiting. I mean think about how nba teams recruit free agents they always have the big boys come with them to the meeting. For Durant when he went to GSW even though it was the off-season curry, Thompson, and green all were at the meeting.

• Like 1

Already seeing IU players online selling themselves to Rep. for companies. I still wouldnt want an 18 or 19 year old kid as the face of my business. A talking head thinks more product swapping will take place more than money changing hands. Like come do a tv spot for my dealership and i'll give you a car lease for a year, things like that.

• Like 1

Love that kids have the ability to earn starting today. I also hope IU has cautioned kids that their NIL may not be worth a dime and to not take it personally if some teammates cash in while others learn the hard way it's business as usual.

Staffs are going to have to work overtime on handling the psychological part of this....especially since we are still talking about 18-21 year olds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Already seeing IU players online selling themselves to Rep. for companies. I still wouldnt want an 18 or 19 year old kid as the face of my business. A talking head thinks more product swapping will take place more than money changing hands. Like come do a tv spot for my dealership and i'll give you a car lease for a year, things like that.

I think you make a good point.  It's not like we haven't seen "good kids" do stupid things in the past.  Will businesses want to risk being associated with a kid who does something like that? IDK.

I've wondered how this rule works for things like, let's say a team photo or poster.  Could a company sell posters/schedules with the players likenesses on it and then give the profits (split equally) to the players?  Maybe "instructional" videos with a player demonstrating his skills with a coach.  Without knowing the rules (or caring to research them), it seems there are multiple avenues to generate income for the players.