2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Yes, just like the free market capitalism that pretty much everyone except college athletes were able to participate in until July 1.

So are you agreeing that it a good thing?  should have happened sooner especially since, if i remember correctly the NCAA calls themselves non profit for tax benefits.

Its about time college athletes have some freedom.  There is a South Park episode about this but, yeah cant post it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So are you agreeing that it a good thing?  should have happened sooner especially since, if i remember correctly the NCAA calls themselves non profit for tax benefits.

Its about time college athletes have some freedom.  There is a South Park episode about this but, yeah cant post it. 

Yes, I'm agreeing that it's a good thing.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 1:31 PM, HoosierDom said:

The first article I found on the topic said that in 2015 there were 20 schools that raised over $25 million in athletic contributions - that year alone. That's $500 million spread out over those schools. That's not enough to make the going rate for a 5 start player go to 7 figures?  

I’ve been working for 30 minutes to put these numbers together. Any cliff notes? I’m lost without help. 

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I bet alot of dudes would be willing to pay for DM's if you know what I mean.

Just saying that some gals have mega influence on some of these social media platforms and you don’t think they won’t cash in? I mean they can’t do anything to risk losing their scholarship as far as moral clauses etc but no doubt a plug for Nair or say a tampon that wont let her down when she is vulnerable in front of the camera and judges…I think she will find some sponsors.

On 7/3/2021 at 6:48 PM, dgambill said:

Example Olivia Dunn gymnast at LSU…3.9 million followers on Tik tok and 1.1 million on Twitter.

She's expected to make $2 million or more this year.  She's also very smart.  Here are some (but not all) of the Instagram names she registered, so "Fan Pages" don't clutter her brand.  She did this 10 months ago.

This is what running a company looks like.

livvy dunne.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

She's expected to make $2 million or more this year.  She's also very smart.  Here are some (but not all) of the Instagram names she registered, so "Fan Pages" don't clutter her brand.  She did this 10 months ago.

This is what running a company looks like.

livvy dunne.JPG

Stuff like this is what I can really support. Treating it like a business. Thanks for posting the intel. I said this a few pages ago but I think there's a chance there might be some unintended benefits of the NIL as well. Let's say your a borderline draft pick in football or hoops. Would you stay in school another year, make your $, graduate,etc....instead of going the undrafted route to the pros? 

So many really good football players leave a year early because their families have zero $. This system might make those kids think twice about heading to the pros if they can make good $ in college.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Stuff like this is what I can really support. Treating it like a business. Thanks for posting the intel. I said this a few pages ago but I think there's a chance there might be some unintended benefits of the NIL as well. Let's say your a borderline draft pick in football or hoops. Would you stay in school another year, make your $, graduate,etc....instead of going the undrafted route to the pros? 

So many really good football players leave a year early because their families have zero $. This system might make those kids think twice about heading to the pros if they can make good $ in college.

Not only the money, but being a borderline late 1st or early 2nd round pick, you might be more willing to stay another year because being a 2nd rounder could "hurt" your brand at that point. While the difference financially between late 1st and early 2nd isn't that different anymore, there is still some perception value there. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not only the money, but being a borderline late 1st or early 2nd round pick, you might be more willing to stay another year because being a 2nd rounder could "hurt" your brand at that point. While the difference financially between late 1st and early 2nd isn't that different anymore, there is still some perception value there. 

All day long. Adding 1st round NBA pick to your bio absolutely enhances the perception. Really excited to see how this all unfolds. Some of these guys will always play checkers but some of these teams have been playing chess for a year to capitalize. 

On a IU note. I really hope the university does some sort of team functions where all the players can benefit. Just thinking out loud but for hoops....pick a home football weekend where they can sign autographs, photos or whatever and make some $. Call it IU NIL weekend. Do it early enough not to detract from football game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I look at it like this. Big fish small pond. Let's use TJD. All-B1G, possibly National Player of the Year candidate but even if you go to the nba you may be just a 2nd round pick based on your skill set, age, size etc It might be possible that you are worth more with the media attention, spotlight, name recognition in college basketball playing on a stage like IU or say a Duke/UNC/UK/KU where you are still on sports center, still getting lots of viewers and lots of attention in media and can see $$ benefit where you are. If you go to the NBA right away you might end up in the g-league or on two way contract or sitting on the bench maybe getting 4-5 mins a night. You may have your salary but little to no marketing ability. You go to the NBA and now you are little minnow in a huge ocean compared to the sharks like KD/LEBRON/CP3 etc. You aren't getting a State Farm commercial....but at IU....maybe you get an Indiana Farm Bureau spot on the radio, internet, or local tv. Maybe not the best example but you catch my drift. Of course if you are good enough to be a lottery or a lock for 1st round pick your game and you are probably ready to make that jump...but if you are a second round guy who isn't assured what your future with the team will look like for a couple years until you are ready to contribute...maybe hanging around and cleaning up and building your brand a little with the NIL will benefit you!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I look at it like this. Big fish small pond. Let's use TJD. All-B1G, possibly National Player of the Year candidate but even if you go to the nba you may be just a 2nd round pick based on your skill set, age, size etc It might be possible that you are worth more with the media attention, spotlight, name recognition in college basketball playing on a stage like IU or say a Duke/UNC/UK/KU where you are still on sports center, still getting lots of viewers and lots of attention in media and can see $$ benefit where you are. If you go to the NBA right away you might end up in the g-league or on two way contract or sitting on the bench maybe getting 4-5 mins a night. You may have your salary but little to no marketing ability. You go to the NBA and now you are little minnow in a huge ocean compared to the sharks like KD/LEBRON/CP3 etc. You aren't getting a State Farm commercial....but at IU....maybe you get an Indiana Farm Bureau spot on the radio, internet, or local tv. Maybe not the best example but you catch my drift. Of course if you are good enough to be a lottery or a lock for 1st round pick your game and you are probably ready to make that jump...but if you are a second round guy who isn't assured what your future with the team will look like for a couple years until you are ready to contribute...maybe hanging around and cleaning up and building your brand a little with the NIL will benefit you!

Yep. Guys like Troy Williams or JB Jr come to mind. Again I have no clue what dollar amounts kids will make until this thing is up and running for a couple years. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The guy that came to mind for me, obviously, was Carsen Edwards. He literally might have made more money his senior year with NIL, coming off that insane NCAA run, than he did as an early 2nd round pick. I think if you’re a guaranteed first rounder you still go, but this adds some complexity  to the equation. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Would you stay in school another year, make your $, graduate,etc....instead of going the undrafted route to the pros? 

This is probably what made Kofi withdraw from the draft. He probably wasn't going to be drafted high so now he can go to Couch Burning U and make some money and work on his game to maybe improve his draft stock.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is probably what made Kofi withdraw from the draft. He probably wasn't going to be drafted high so now he can go to Couch Burning U and make some money and work on his game to maybe improve his draft stock.

More than likely. I hate that Cal is using Illinois as a feeder program though. 2 top recruiters and more than likely Kofi. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

More than likely. I hate that Cal is using Illinois as a feeder program though. 2 top recruiters and more than likely Kofi. 

I like that Illinois is getting crapped on, but i wish that it was someone other then Kentucky.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

I like that Illinois is getting crapped on, but i wish that is someone other then Kentucky.

Same. My despise for Cal is surpassed by my hatred for all things Illini. It's their whole operation. Getting smacked by Loyola, losing assistants, transfers.....Coach Squarehead has his work in front of him. From what I've been told besides the Miller, Kofi announcements....there might be one more this summer too. 

• Like 1

This is football but still NIL related. Miami scholarship players could each receive $500/month from a single company for endorsements. Since it's a football roster, that works out to quite a bit of money over time from the company.

$500/month isn't going to make them rich but it's just a single deal and more than they were allowed to get before July 1.

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-company-offers-540-k-worth-of-nil-endorsement-deals-to-all-miami-scholarship-football-players-183415305.html

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

This is football but still NIL related. Miami scholarship players could each receive $500/month from a single company for endorsements. Since it's a football roster, that works out to quite a bit of money over time from the company.

$500/month isn't going to make them rich but it's just a single deal and more than they were allowed to get before July 1.

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-company-offers-540-k-worth-of-nil-endorsement-deals-to-all-miami-scholarship-football-players-183415305.html

Just the beginning down there. $6k per player per year....tip of the iceberg and I love it as a Canes fan.

Edit-I'll also add this. Manny said last year that at least 2/3 of his team sent most if not all of their monthly stipends home to Mom to pay rent, utilities turned on, food, etc.....this $500 per month is the lottery to many of these guys. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Thanks 1