17 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just the beginning down there. $6k per player per year....tip of the iceberg and I love it as a Canes fan.

Edit-I'll also add this. Manny said last year that at least 2/3 of his team sent most if not all of their monthly stipends home to Mom to pay rent, utilities turned on, food, etc.....this $500 per month is the lottery to many of these guys. 

For some reason, I’ve always liked the Canes. Probably goes back to the beat downs they put on the Irish back in the day, shutting up the annoying domers till the next year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

For some reason, I’ve always liked the Canes. Probably goes back to the beat downs they put on the Irish back in the day, shutting up the annoying domers till the next year. 

I.might be a little off but I believe ND holds like an all time lead 17-7 over the convicts.  There was a stretch of 3 or 4 in a row when the Canes were the best pro team in Florida and had the Irish number but I don't recall that dominance the way you do. Loved my reversible jacket😀

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I.might be a little off but I believe ND holds like an all time lead 17-7 over the convicts.  There was a stretch of 3 or 4 in a row when the Canes were the best pro team in Florida and had the Irish number but I don't recall that dominance the way you do. Loved my reversible jacket😀

Didn't they put a major whipping on Notre Dame when Faust was the coach?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

No I’m sure you’re right, I am thinking the 80s Canes under Jimmy. 

53 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Didn't they put a major whipping on Notre Dame when Faust was the coach?

No. 4 Miami 58, Notre Dame 7 (1985)

The Hurricanes ran it up under Jimmy Johnson in Gerry Faust's last game as Notre Dame's head coach. Vinny Testaverde passed for 356 yards with touchdown passes to Bratton and Michael Irvin — the Hurricanes poured it on in the second half at the Orange Bowl.

I believe Johnson said after the game “when you get a team like ND down you put them down so they stay down.”

Not a Jimmy Johnson fan!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

When the series mattered on the national stage.....Miami loved playing Notre Dame because they wiped them up on the field and if they wanted to go to the parking lot for more they would do that as well.

Only game ND won was on the BS Cleveland Gary fumble in 88 that the refs later admitted was a bad call. Slobbering/Saliva mouth filled Lou had to get one during his time. Miami won 5 of 6 during that 83-89 stretch before ND cancelled the series. 

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

The biggest cheaters in college football back then were the Canes

Are you sure? Lots of folks up North just hated Miami and assumed because of their success they had to be cheating. Trust me when Lou Holtz (since this is the subject) got to ND....those weren't choir boys and all that student body rah rah crap they had with Ara. As Brent used to say....Lou called in the Fathers and said we need some players.

PS....Lou has never left a program free of probation or penalties. 

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

When the series mattered. Canes owned it. 

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

No. 4 Miami 58, Notre Dame 7 (1985)

The Hurricanes ran it up under Jimmy Johnson in Gerry Faust's last game as Notre Dame's head coach. Vinny Testaverde passed for 356 yards with touchdown passes to Bratton and Michael Irvin — the Hurricanes poured it on in the second half at the Orange Bowl.

I believe Johnson said after the game “when you get a team like ND down you put them down so they stay down.”

Not a Jimmy Johnson fan!

His exact quote in pregame was when you get them down pour it on them and don't let them up. Jimmy caught hell for that one but by the end of the 3rd he had his backups in....and they were better than ND starters at the time.

Always laughed about Jimmy getting the running it up card. Nebraska and Oklahoma won 80-7 routinely (so did ND vs Army or whoever)  and no one said a thing. It's when Miami started doing it was somehow what's  wrong with college football stuff started coming out. The national media hated Miami and they were quick to help out their buddy programs in saying how it's poor sportsmanship,....blah blah blah.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hmm…Notre Dame and Miami football…they were both relevant about as recently as Indiana basketball lol. I’ll put money on IU winning a basketball championship before either of those doing it in football again. 

Trust me. During my early years as a fan especially in the 80's....I thought titles as a kid were supposed to happen every year. At least the Canes bounced back in 2000-2002 run. I'm still waiting for my Hoosiers to do so.....and it will be a glorious time for sure. 

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Who owned the Canes players?

Not sure of the implication. Plenty of things happened in Miami in the 80's....but all of it was based on winning. You win? You got perks? You lose...nada. 

I can tell you Uncle Luke had bounties on Tim Brown....he had a little rag he wore during games with a message from his college girlfriend. Luke paid the guys to get the rag. Bernard Clark got it....and Brown ran to the refs begging for them to get the rag back. Pretty weak stuff for sure. Most of the stuff was covered in The U documentary.

Back to the NIL though to keep thread in line. I expect many, many announcements in coming weeks after the Miami supporter did what he did. Hopefully IU has one of those for football too!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me. During my early years as a fan especially in the 80's....I thought titles as a kid were supposed to happen every year. At least the Canes bounced back in 2000-2002 run. I'm still waiting for my Hoosiers to do so.....and it will be a glorious time for sure. 

We bounced back about that same time…pretty dang close…and yes I realize how special the good years were sitting through the bad years….so if we get back to winning B1G titles and making deep tournament runs I’ll thoroughly relish it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We bounced back about that same time…pretty dang close…and yes I realize how special the good years were sitting through the bad years….so if we get back to winning B1G titles and making deep tournament runs I’ll thoroughly relish it.

Was talking to a friend of my wife's today. Large law firm downtown Indy...they sponsor IU quite a bit...he suggested to me there's $ sitting on the sidelines but like most they aren't sure how to spend it yet. They don't want to diminish their own brand...and they want to saddle up with the right horse if you will.

Wouldn't be surprised to see more large spenders do a team wide approach early and spend for IU. Not individual players.....and I think I like that approach. We want IU to be NIL friendly to these first 2-3 recruiting cycles vs individual stuff....because the latter will always be there but I think the better approach for the time being is to do team wide spending. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Was talking to a friend of my wife's today. Large law firm downtown Indy...they sponsor IU quite a bit...he suggested to me there's $ sitting on the sidelines but like most they aren't sure how to spend it yet. They don't want to diminish their own brand...and they want to saddle up with the right horse if you will.

Wouldn't be surprised to see more large spenders do a team wide approach early and spend for IU. Not individual players.....and I think I like that approach. We want IU to be NIL friendly to these first 2-3 recruiting cycles vs individual stuff....because the latter will always be there but I think the better approach for the time being is to do team wide spending. 

This is where it gets interesting, because while IU wants their players to do well and get taking care of for recruiting purposes, etc., the program also needs their sponsorship dollars. 

IU athletics can't afford to lose corporate sponsors to companies that would rather pay the players. It will be an interesting dichotomy to monitor. 

I once negotiated an sponsorship deal with a high major college football coach. We wanted to spend with the sports department too, but for our purposes locking in the coach was step 1 and contingent on moving forward with the athletics marketing arm. 

Long story short, the people that ran marketing for the athletic department were livid that we went straight to the coach directly to negotiate first and were pressuring us so hard to sigh with the department first, which made no sense for us. 

It got weird.  Ended up being a great campaign though. 

Edit: This was like 10 years ago, so can't image how it would be now with NIL. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

You mean during the Shapiro’s ponze scheme in the early 2000s?? Guess they were still cheating then. Lol

Edit: can also add the pell grant scandal in the 80s and 90s.  Miami has always been the Kentucky of football

Edited by IUwins0708
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

You mean during the Shapiro’s ponze scheme in the early 2000s?? Guess they were still cheating then. Lol

Edit: can also add the pell grant scandal in the 80s and 90s.  Miami has always been the Kentucky of football

Shapiro was just a kid caught up in the life of Miami. He wanted access and got it.....but what he did for Miami players was peanuts to the bigger game out there. Kid was trying to cut short his time and he thought his hand was best suited for a reporter. Shoot...I remember finding an envelope when I waited on tables at the Tudor Room during college under Mallory. It happened. It happened everywhere. Some schools just caught the brunt of the criticism. 

Agree with you on Pell Grant. Funny thing about that though is about 2 dozen other high major schools were doing the same thing...yet only Miami was on the cover of SI and Newsweek. 

All good. Fun conversation during the downtime. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

When the series mattered on the national stage.....Miami loved playing Notre Dame because they wiped them up on the field and if they wanted to go to the parking lot for more they would do that as well.

Only game ND won was on the BS Cleveland Gary fumble in 88 that the refs later admitted was a bad call. Slobbering/Saliva mouth filled Lou had to get one during his time. Miami won 5 of 6 during that 83-89 stretch before ND cancelled the series. 

That Gary call was the ultimate Domer Homer screw job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

This is where it gets interesting, because while IU wants their players to do well and get taking care of for recruiting purposes, etc., the program also needs their sponsorship dollars. 

IU athletics can't afford to lose corporate sponsors to companies that would rather pay the players. It will be an interesting dichotomy to monitor. 

I once negotiated an sponsorship deal with a high major college football coach. We wanted to spend with the sports department too, but for our purposes locking in the coach was step 1 and contingent on moving forward with the athletics marketing arm. 

Long story short, the people that ran marketing for the athletic department were livid that we went straight to the coach directly to negotiate first and were pressuring us so hard to sigh with the department first, which made no sense for us. 

It got weird.  Ended up being a great campaign though. 

Edit: This was like 10 years ago, so can't image how it would be now with NIL. 

Perfect description of what many are talking about. Do we go Coach? Player? Program? Player to get future players? Fun deck of cards right now. I keep thinking right now you promote the university and players will buy in. If a team is looked at only certain guys are getting paid....they'll look elsewhere.

If a Romeo or Gordon or Zeller or whomever comes along on the recruiting trail I could see saying what we could do for you....the good thing for IU is our staff. We still have a big picture staff that can sell the short while focusing on the long $. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think that makes a lot of sense....but at the same time I can totally see dipping a toe into one or two players who have big social media followings or will have significant camera/tv attention. For instance..in the coming weeks I could see Lily King get some major deals....especially if she wins more gold at the Olympics. Not sure who on the football and basketball will break out and separate themselves enough to get major deals on their own (outside IU advertising in general) but I'm sure some will.