1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think that makes a lot of sense....but at the same time I can totally see dipping a toe into one or two players who have big social media followings or will have significant camera/tv attention. For instance..in the coming weeks I could see Lily King get some major deals....especially if she wins more gold at the Olympics. Not sure who on the football and basketball will break out and separate themselves enough to get major deals on their own (outside IU advertising in general) but I'm sure some will.

Lilly King is already a professional swimmer so she has deals. She will probably get more with the visibility that the Olympics brings, especially if she wins gold again (as you stated) - which she is favored to do. She could've done very well for herself after Rio if these rules were in effect at that time.

The IU Swimming and Diving team does have a few athletes going to the Olympics who are still in school, though. A good showing could get them some nice deals. 

I agree with your point about who will likely get deals in the near term. As time goes on I think they'll become more individual deals with a few team deals.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think that makes a lot of sense....but at the same time I can totally see dipping a toe into one or two players who have big social media followings or will have significant camera/tv attention. For instance..in the coming weeks I could see Lily King get some major deals....especially if she wins more gold at the Olympics. Not sure who on the football and basketball will break out and separate themselves enough to get major deals on their own (outside IU advertising in general) but I'm sure some will.

Lilly graduated in 2019 so she's already been earning.  

She's an awesome ambassador for IU!!!

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Lilly King is already a professional swimmer so she has deals. She will probably get more with the visibility that the Olympics brings, especially if she wins gold again (as you stated) - which she is favored to do. She could've done very well for herself after Rio if these rules were in effect at that time.

The IU Swimming and Diving team does have a few athletes going to the Olympics who are still in school, though. A good showing could get them some nice deals. 

I agree with your point about who will likely get deals in the near term. As time goes on I think they'll become more individual deals with a few team deals.

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

Lilly graduated in 2019 so she's already been earning.  

She's an awesome ambassador for IU!!!

Go Hoosiers!!!

My bad! I did realize she had already graduated....I'm a little slow lol. But for example...an athlete similar to her whether at IU or somewhere else would be one that I think would be easy to identify and target for marketers early on...and as they get better at it and more comfortable with the process will move to other high profile athletes at the school.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be the end to no player names on jerseys

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31834394/michigan-athletics-official-retail-store-partners-players-sell-jerseys-names-back

The deal will pay each player the same amount per jersey sold and will pay each player quarterly. If one player is more popular than another and sells more jerseys, he will make more money, but each player will have the opportunity to make the same amount per jersey.

"The rules on this are two weeks old and are changing daily. I said as long as your eligibility exists at the University of Michigan, we will pay you for the rights to put your name and number on a jersey," Hirth said. "Right now, our contract with each player is for the length of their eligibility at Michigan."

13 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

"Right now, our contract with each player is for the length of their eligibility at Michigan."

That sounds like it would run afoul of the rule/guideline/whatever it was that said you cannot pay a player conditionally on going to a certain school or staying at a certain school.

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That sounds like it would run afoul of the rule/guideline/whatever it was that said you cannot pay a player conditionally on going to a certain school or staying at a certain school.

I see what you’re saying, but if they transfer then they won’t have a Michigan jersey anymore….they’ll have another jersey. And if they go pro, then Michigan would have to pay them because they are no longer constrained by NCAA rules. 

Was Zion paid after he left Duke for the Duke jerseys that had his name? I think he would be.

• Like 1

I never thought I'd see the day that we'd be openly out -recruited by player earnings statements. 

We have two things.

A building full of elite business minds, and the greatest "soft skills" street handler of all-time a phone call away. (WWW)

Ultimately 10 years from now when we look back at this moment in IU history, if we're a national powerhouse with a couple of championships itll be because we were the best at getting kids paid. Smh

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Canes QB becomes first player to be hired by professional sports franchise. I know we are discussing in another thread but sure would be nice to see IU and some of our kids in articles like these. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolschram/2021/08/09/miami-hurricanes-qb-deriq-king-joins-florida-panthers-nil-program-in-groundbreaking-agreement/?sh=699fb1fb44d9

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Canes QB becomes first player to be hired by professional sports franchise. I know we are discussing in another thread but sure would be nice to see IU and some of our kids in articles like these. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolschram/2021/08/09/miami-hurricanes-qb-deriq-king-joins-florida-panthers-nil-program-in-groundbreaking-agreement/?sh=699fb1fb44d9

It would...

I know it's nice kids can profit from this, but achieving a sport/school/work balance is going to take some effort.  These folks doing the hiring are going to expect something for their money...

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

image.thumb.png.a40256a0c0eeef65945f2d772f972b43.png

Just got this on my Facebook feed

I notice no IU on that shirt. Is he not allowed to use the school's name in his marketing?

Oh...and compared to what a lot of athletes are getting at other schools....this feels like small time chump change. There was a lot of talk coming from IU...do we just not have any marketable athletes?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I notice no IU on that shirt. Is he not allowed to use the school's name in his marketing?

Oh...and compared to what a lot of athletes are getting at other schools....this feels like small time chump change. There was a lot of talk coming from IU...do we just not have any marketable athletes?

My only guess is (and I trust Dolson) is they are taking a slow, well thought out approach to the best way to handle. Or that's what I hope. Haha.

• Like 2

The whole thing just seems seedy.  Why don't we just go all in and create club teams that are affiliates of universities and quit pretending this is anything other than a pro minor league system?  I see no reason these kids need to even go to class if they don't want to.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BDB said:

My feelings on this, is the ones that have been flirting the rules will continue to prosper, even more so with NIL.

Yeah the gap in college sports is going to widen by a considerable amount in my opinion, the rich are going to get richer. I'm all for the players getting what they can, but to be honest the direction college athletics is going in i have a feeling that my interest is going to taper off quite a bit eventually. With the very high possibilty of super conferences in the not so distant future and the NIL turning athletics into Semi Pro sports the NCAA is going to look a lot different in the next couple of years.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1