5 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

If I’m an 18 and up college player being offered to drive one of those fancy cars, I’d surely oblige…. I just can’t help to see it completely different from the other side. I just don’t have good feel about it, especially something THAT expensive!

I’m sure he’s doing something in return right? Or does he just have to drive it around and that’s marketing for the company? Seems like if he needs a car anyway, that he would need to do more than just drive this full time as a benefit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, DWB said:

Agreed. But what if it's a "loaner" ? No change in ownership. Not sure taxes are due then.

I'd think there would still be taxes related to the lease value of the vehicle...not that I expect a car dealer in Kentucky to properly report that.  If he gets audited, I hope there are IU and Louisville fans in his IRS team.

8 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m sure he’s doing something in return right? Or does he just have to drive it around and that’s marketing for the company? Seems like if he needs a car anyway, that he would need to do more than just drive this full time as a benefit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yep…. It just doesn’t seem real…. I can’t help but think, some of those students walk around campus with their nose in air.  I remember back in the 80’s, a rich kid at Martinsville high school driving a brand knew Datsun 280z that his parents bought him for his birthday. He walked around that school with his “popped” Izod collars, acid washed-peg legged jeans and boat shoes. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

It's entirely possible that the dealership makes out in this deal, but that's not why they are doing it. They are trying to help the team by giving cool stuff to players.

I'm sure there are tax implications, if nothing else, he is taking in the equivalent of a free lease. But, I'm sure the dealership, or some other booster, can just cover that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I thought the NIL required using your likeness or your name for something.  It seems like just giving a kid a car is not what the rule is for.

I'm late to the party (so sorry if I'm not addressing your concern), but the UK player getting a car (leased or otherwise) could be for simply showing it off on social media. Influencers can make anywhere from a couple thousand to millions (depending on their following) just for one post. If a company wants to "overpay" the Influencer for the post, that's within their rights. 

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I thought the NIL required using your likeness or your name for something.  It seems like just giving a kid a car is not what the rule is for.

I'm sure they are going to tell people that he drives their car, and they'll have to use his name to do that. This is exactly what should be happening. I hope we have car dealerships that want to do the same.