Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

FKIM01

Luke Brown - The next Damon Bailey?

Jerry Hoover what an incedibke man. If you have a few hours to spare sit down and talk with Jerry.  Never met anyone with more unbelievable stories.   I used to talk my teams to D-One camp and some kids were laughing in middle of night.  I hear some commotion and Jerry has them outside doing up downs at 4am.  He would sleep in a chair in hallway if the dorms to make sure kids were well behaved. 

Can someone help me out on this one. You have a long time coach with great track record basically calling a small town school and said if you hire me I can deliver this player, this player, and that player? Am I reading that correctly? Want to make sure of that first. 

That's what I got from that. N I'm not saying it's against the rules, because I don't know for sure.....but that seems shady as hell to say the least. 

4 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

That's what I got from that. N I'm not saying it's against the rules, because I don't know for sure.....but that seems shady as hell to say the least. 

I'm going to wait for more info but what's the difference between what we think of an AAU coach getting hired at a college program to deliver recruits and this? 

Hope the kid stays away from any and all "injury bugs".   Will be keeping an eye on him.  Pretty interesting article with lots of twists and turns and some eyebrow raising.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Can someone help me out on this one. You have a long time coach with great track record basically calling a small town school and said if you hire me I can deliver this player, this player, and that player? Am I reading that correctly? Want to make sure of that first. 

This happens all the time. I think where it can get messy is if the coach is related to the kid, then it's the same as getting a kid's mom a job at some boosters company and paying her six figures as long as he comes to play. Otherwise it's just part of it

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Did u play basketball for Hauser? If so what years?

I graduated in 95. I was on varsity my senior year but didn't get much run. Started on JV sophomore/junior years. 

17 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

This happens all the time. I think where it can get messy is if the coach is related to the kid, then it's the same as getting a kid's mom a job at some boosters company and paying her six figures as long as he comes to play. Otherwise it's just part of it

Agree all day. I just think sometimes the story that's told about Indiana High School hoops (especially in rural areas) is that it's all clean/no red flags,etc...just is an interesting by product of a very good story. In a town of 5,900 people how has 2,000 show up for a game (I was born in Chicago but raised in a similar small town) that a coach who coached Wittman in 78 I believe would still be pulling the strings. 

I hope they are real careful with the kid though. Those growth spurts if not handled correctly can damage him before he thinks about college. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. I just think sometimes the story that's told about Indiana High School hoops (especially in rural areas) is that it's all clean/no red flags,etc...just is an interesting by product of a very good story. In a town of 5,900 people how has 2,000 show up for a game (I was born in Chicago but raised in a similar small town) that a coach who coached Wittman in 78 I believe would still be pulling the strings. 

I hope they are real careful with the kid though. Those growth spurts if not handled correctly can damage him before he thinks about college. 

Also agree. Even if the coach bringing kids is "shady", it is cool that a town/school that went through all that losing is able to experience some success and the turnout shows they have passion about it.

As for the kid, wish him the best. Seems more like the next Jason Williams than the next Damon Bailey.

Edited by cybergates

25 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I graduated in 95. I was on varsity my senior year but didn't get much run. Started on JV sophomore/junior years. 

My wife graduated from south decatur in 95. I coached there from 2000 to 05

14 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Also agree. Even if the coach bringing kids is "shady", it is cool that a town/school that went through all that losing is able to experience some success and the turnout shows they have passion about it.

As for the kid, wish him the best. Seems more like the next Jason Williams than the next Damon Bailey.

The Jason Williams is a better comparison 

I would like to point out something that was omitted from that article.  I will take the author's word that Hartford City has 5,900 people but he failed to mention that Blackford takes in the entire county(a small one area wise at that).  So that being said Blackford also takes in the town of Montpelier and a portion of Dunkirk.  Just that it was odd he didn't mention that.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

What I don't like is moving the kid out of Brownsburg just so his grandfather and dad/uncle? get coaching jobs. The kid has real potential and doesn't need to be playing on a team that went 1-78 before he showed up as a freshmen....it's just completely selfish and will likely hinder his development. Instead of playing against La Lumiere, Ben Davis, Carmel and Center Grove he goes up against power houses like Bluffton, Elwood and Jay County. 

29 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

What I don't like is moving the kid out of Brownsburg just so his grandfather and dad/uncle? get coaching jobs. The kid has real potential and doesn't need to be playing on a team that went 1-78 before he showed up as a freshmen....it's just completely selfish and will likely hinder his development. Instead of playing against La Lumiere, Ben Davis, Carmel and Center Grove he goes up against power houses like Bluffton, Elwood and Jay County. 

Hinder his development?  Just because he is playing at a small school with, the way I understand it, inferior competition from your point of view.  

52 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

His high school of choice will have little to nothing to do with his development. His AAU choice will take care of that. He is getting quality coaching now and hi level competition in the summer 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

His high school of choice will have little to nothing to do with his development. His AAU choice will take care of that. He is getting quality coaching now and hi level competition in the summer 

Add to it there are some pretty good schools in that conference.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I couldn't disagree more, having played both AAU and 4A in the state of Indiana, AAU was nothing more than testing your skills against the top talent and getting exposure. If you're trying to develop your game through AAU ball you're in trouble. There's very little to no practicing/fundamental development, almost zero team offense/defense being played....it's run and gun to see who can put up the most points and win one on one battles. That's like saying taking the SAT is the best way to develop a student for college so why bother going to class