Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Sign in to follow this  
FKIM01

Luke Brown - The next Damon Bailey?

I agree with what you are saying to a certain extent. I have also played and coached at many levels. Having Jerry Hoover coach you is only going to make you better. I know a lot of coaches at 1a level that i would send my kids to rather than just going to a 4a. He will get his exposure at AAU circuit. 1-78 record has nothing to do with it. The role of the high school coach and college recruitment is almost non existent any more. I do not believe his development will be hindered at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

I couldn't disagree more, having played both AAU and 4A in the state of Indiana, AAU was nothing more than testing your skills against the top talent and getting exposure. If you're trying to develop your game through AAU ball you're in trouble. There's very little to no practicing/fundamental development, almost zero team offense/defense being played....it's run and gun to see who can put up the most points and win one on one battles. That's like saying taking the SAT is the best way to develop a student for college so why bother going to class 

Well, I disagree with you whole-heartedly.  So in order to mature basketball wise you have to go to a big school?  It improves your skills by playing other big schools?  Other big schools always have talent?  And I don't get the SAT argument......or does that have something to do with going to a big school?  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, I disagree with you whole-heartedly.  So in order to mature basketball wise you have to go to a big school?  It improves your skills by playing other big schools?  Other big schools always have talent?  And I don't get the SAT argument......or does that have something to do with going to a big school?  

You certainly don't have to but it obviously helps...look, clearly you went to a small school and thus are defensive on the topic but there's a reason class basketball exists and it's because small schools, almost all of the time, aren't competitive vs. large schools. The talent pools between the two simply aren't comparable. If this wasn't true, class basketball, especially in Indiana, wouldn't exist. As for the SAT analogy, it's pretty simple....the AAU circuit is where kids go to test their skill set against the best talent in the region/country, it's not where they go to develop their skill set...i.e. you don't build your academic profile by taking the SAT's you go to class for 4 years of high school, learn as much as you can, grow and then take your SAT to see how you've developed. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

You certainly don't have to but it obviously helps...look, clearly you went to a small school and thus are defensive on the topic but there's a reason class basketball exists and it's because small schools, almost all of the time, aren't competitive vs. large schools. The talent pools between the two simply aren't comparable. If this wasn't true, class basketball, especially in Indiana, wouldn't exist. As for the SAT analogy, it's pretty simple....the AAU circuit is where kids go to test their skill set against the best talent in the region/country, it's not where they go to develop their skill set...i.e. you don't build your academic profile by taking the SAT's you go to class for 4 years of high school, learn as much as you can, grow and then take your SAT to see how you've developed. 

Let me ask you a question......What year did you graduate HS?

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with what you are saying to a certain extent. I have also played and coached at many levels. Having Jerry Hoover coach you is only going to make you better. I know a lot of coaches at 1a level that i would send my kids to rather than just going to a 4a. He will get his exposure at AAU circuit. 1-78 record has nothing to do with it. The role of the high school coach and college recruitment is almost non existent any more. I do not believe his development will be hindered at all.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Let me ask you a question......What year did you graduate HS?

Edited by Hoosier82

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

That explains it.  Yes, I went to a small school.  If you can't remember Argos, the point is moot.

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The Jason Williams is a better comparison 

Guys, I was talking more about the phenomenon of a young Indiana player blowing up and achieving cult status as a freshman than the actual positions and style of game played...LOL...

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

How many kids from a 1A basketball school do you think received a D1 scholarship in the last 10 years? My guess is 5 tops and they all came from private academies. I can only find three, Russell Byrd, Alex Olah and Andrew Smith. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it doesn't make it a good idea.

Pure speculation on my part. This won't be this kids last high school team. If they moved that quickly once I think they will again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

That explains it.  Yes, I went to a small school.  If you can't remember Argos, the point is moot.

I remember Argos, we played them.  I remember they had a set of twins that were really small but would bomb away from anywhere past half court.  Can't remember their name. 

I don't remember playing them our senior year,,I think they consolidated into another district(?)...This was early 80's..my memory fades. I remember myself taller..

23 minutes ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

I remember Argos, we played them.  I remember they had a set of twins that were really small but would bomb away from anywhere past half court.  Can't remember their name. 

I don't remember playing them our senior year,,I think they consolidated into another district(?)...This was early 80's..my memory fades. I remember myself taller..

Where did you go?

33 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

How many kids from a 1A basketball school do you think received a D1 scholarship in the last 10 years? My guess is 5 tops and they all came from private academies. I can only find three, Russell Byrd, Alex Olah and Andrew Smith. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it doesn't make it a good idea.

Whoa, Blackford is 3A as is New Castle.  Hmmmmmmmm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Obviously not many but he attends a 3A. Have  you heard of Brody Body. Union Dugger graduating class of 41 students.  All 3 Graves WRV  Jeff Oliphant.   I could go on but it's a moot point Blackford is 3A

• Like 1

Some AAU programs do a great job at developing players... Others are definitely just weekly meetings to showcase your skills.. personally my daughter received way more from AAU than highschool, and it wasn't even close.

2 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Some AAU programs do a great job at developing players... Others are definitely just weekly meetings to showcase your skills.. personally my daughter received way more from AAU than highschool, and it wasn't even close.

It's all about coaching. Not the size of the school. A big problem is that good high school coaches feel they have to be at a big school to be someone. Coach Nash at 1a Borden and Scott Smith 1a Jac Cen Del girls are 2 of the best in the state.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It's all about coaching. Not the size of the school. A big problem is that good high school coaches feel they have to be at a big school to be someone. Coach Nash at 1a Borden and Scott Smith 1a Jac Cen Del girls are 2 of the best in the state.

BTW, I played for a HoF coach at little tiny Whitko.  We never had any talent!  LOL

Edited by rico

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Jason Holzinger........he was deadly.

Are you talking about the guy at Alexandria.  I remember my old school Knightstown played him in his senior year and they beat us 95-93 in regulation.   My nephew played for KTown in those years and that was the best game I witness.  We are a 2A school and we won 3 straight sectionals and went to the semi state once.  I use to be against class basketball and still am but those years watching my old school win was great.  In one class system we played the sectional at New Castle and we won one sectional in 87 and before that the last one was in 58.  I think in a 25 year span of the one class sectional New castle won it 22 times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Coming into highschool my daughter was being recruited by high D1 schools.  I had concerns about our "style" of play in highschool, as it was not what fit my kid at all...  When I asked how much emphasis was put on highschool numbers. I was told by a college coach, that highschool productivity on the court was one of the last things they cared about...  What they did in the summer, type of team mate, how the player fit their system, academics were all looked at more.   

2 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Coming into highschool my daughter was being recruited by high D1 schools.  I had concerns about our "style" of play in highschool, as it was not what fit my kid at all...  When I asked how much emphasis was put on highschool numbers. I was told by a college coach, that highschool productivity on the court was one of the last things they cared about...  What they did in the summer, type of team mate, how the player fit their system, academics were all looked at more.   

Sad but true. 

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Are you talking about the guy at Alexandria.  I remember my old school Knightstown played him in his senior year and they beat us 95-93 in regulation.   My nephew played for KTown in those years and that was the best game I witness.  We are a 2A school and we won 3 straight sectionals and went to the semi state once.  I use to be against class basketball and still am but those years watching my old school win was great.  In one class system we played the sectional at New Castle and we won one sectional in 87 and before that the last one was in 58.  I think in a 25 year span of the one class sectional New castle won it 22 times.

I spelled the last name wrong it is Holsinger.  And the one I am referring to went to Lapel.

16 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I love watching Coach Nash's teams.  I can't tell you how many times I watched warm-ups and thought there was no way he could pull this one out, and he did.  His teams are fun to watch.  I'm somewhat surprised he is still in Borden.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I love watching Coach Nash's teams.  I can't tell you how many times I watched warm-ups and thought there was no way he could pull this one out, and he did.  His teams are fun to watch.  I'm somewhat surprised he is still in Borden.

I have asked them same questions multiple times and the only thing I can come up with is why would he leave a place where he has it made? No real pressure from the community and has his youth program setup and going. At this point in his career I don't see him leaving