Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
FKIM01

Luke Brown - The next Damon Bailey?

Recommended Posts

On 1/13/2018 at 3:27 PM, BeerBQ said:

About when did you graduate? I know a guy that played there. I remember some other TRC guys (Rochester) yelling “you’re tough, you’re TRC tough” at him during track. Good times. 

1983.  The good old days..good Coaches, AC/DC, shaggy hair, and a gas-guzzling Chevy Laguna 454. Literally, like 8 mpg 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2018 at 5:58 PM, Billingsley99 said:

It's all about coaching. Not the size of the school. A big problem is that good high school coaches feel they have to be at a big school to be someone. Coach Nash at 1a Borden and Scott Smith 1a Jac Cen Del girls are 2 of the best in the state.

Doc Nash is fantastic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2018 at 1:03 PM, Hoosier82 said:

Obviously I was responding to your comment in saying you'd send your kids to a 1A with a coach you like rather than to a 4A because they'd still get enough exposure from AAU. Which is why I was drawling that comparison.  

I'm aware Blackford is a 3A (even though the bulk of their conference is 2A and they only play two 3A schools all season in basketball, the rest being A & AA). Blackford is the smallest school in 3A except for Park Tudor (who is allowed to recruit) and easily should be in 2A but the line has to start somewhere.

Park Tudor should be in 3A before about 100 schools that are in 3A now. Any smaller school that's in a big city as a huge advantage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Park Tudor should be in 3A before about 100 schools that are in 3A now. Any smaller school that's in a big city as a huge advantage. 

Not only that but schools like Park Tudor recruit kids from big city school districts coming out of 8th grade and give them scholarships to attend. Cathedral does this also but they have a much bigger enrollment. I believe there is a rule to bump up private academies to the next class but I'm not sure it's still all that fair for the rural schools that can't recruit kids to move into their district. It's not nearly as bad as the La Lumiere's (who isn't eligible for ISHAA) and IMG Academy's of the world but it does happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He came up in another topic I was talking about and I went and found there was a thread for him so updating it.

Was wondering if anyone keeps a close following of the kid? I don't hear a lot down here in Kentucky but if his name came up down here then obviously he has somewhat a popular following. From what I read and saw of his HS coach I love how he teaches fundamentals and the basics. Looks like his practice is straight out of an old Pete Maravich vhs I used to watch and work out to when I was a kid!

Here he talks about going to IU.

 

As for Division 1 talent coming from small schools there are numerous but I agree a lot of that would be because they received some good coaching as well as a history of development. I went to the same HS as Brody Boyd. I'll just say it is very sad as I played a few years ahead of him and knew his family well how that all ended up with him (I'm leaving it at that). Just to make a point the Union team featured Brody a freshman who went to Iowa, Jared Chambers a senior who signed with Central Michigan but ended up at U of E. after a coaching change, JT and Clark Golish who were all 1000 pt scorers. Brody with 2632, Jared with 1835 both were Indiana All Star players. I graduated in 97 with Jared the last year of class basketball and there were a number of great players at small schools that we played. Sadly we lost in the Regional Finals against Bloomington North who won it all. We led at the half but just didn't have enough gas in the tank in the second half. We were in the same conference as WRV who has had numerous division 1 players come out of that school over the years among many other talented small schools in our area alone like Bloomfield and Eastern. Not only that but our coaches son Joey Hart also played at Union Dugger and went on to play at Coastal Carolina and faced the Fab 5 in the NCAA tournament. Talent can be found anywhere...it may not be common but it will pop up with something special from time to time. If the kid is getting exposed to good fundamental coaching in HS and getting to play against elite talent in AAU then I think that is enough exposure to have a Division 1 talent blossom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He came up in another topic I was talking about and I went and found there was a thread for him so updating it.

Was wondering if anyone keeps a close following of the kid? I don't hear a lot down here in Kentucky but if his name came up down here then obviously he has somewhat a popular following. From what I read and saw of his HS coach I love how he teaches fundamentals and the basics. Looks like his practice is straight out of an old Pete Maravich vhs I used to watch and work out to when I was a kid!

Here he talks about going to IU.

 

As for Division 1 talent coming from small schools there are numerous but I agree a lot of that would be because they received some good coaching as well as a history of development. I went to the same HS as Brody Boyd. I'll just say it is very sad as I played a few years ahead of him and knew his family well how that all ended up with him (I'm leaving it at that). Just to make a point the Union team featured Brody a freshman who went to Iowa, Jared Chambers a senior who signed with Central Michigan but ended up at U of E. after a coaching change, JT and Clark Golish who were all 1000 pt scorers. Brody with 2632, Jared with 1835 both were Indiana All Star players. I graduated in 97 with Jared the last year of class basketball and there were a number of great players at small schools that we played. Sadly we lost in the Regional Finals against Bloomington North who won it all. We led at the half but just didn't have enough gas in the tank in the second half. We were in the same conference as WRV who has had numerous division 1 players come out of that school over the years among many other talented small schools in our area alone like Bloomfield and Eastern. Not only that but our coaches son Joey Hart also played at Union Dugger and went on to play at Coastal Carolina and faced the Fab 5 in the NCAA tournament. Talent can be found anywhere...it may not be common but it will pop up with something special from time to time. If the kid is getting exposed to good fundamental coaching in HS and getting to play against elite talent in AAU then I think that is enough exposure to have a Division 1 talent blossom.

I was an assistant at Linton when you played

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was an assistant at Linton when you played

That’s cool. Small world lol. One of my best friends growing up transfered to Linton to play football Wes Leigh. I think he still has the shot put record over there. He was pretty special kid but knee injuries kind of robbed him. Pretty sure he went to play at ISU but I’m getting old and can’t remember if he blew out his knee again. Growing up in middle school and junior high etc our class was pretty talented. I was a late bloomer didn’t play varsity until senior year. Joey the coaches son asked me to come play at Shakamak as he coached me my Freshman year and he knew I was sitting behind Brody but I wasn’t leaving my friends. It was a special year we were pretty decent. I think Joey coaches Linton now or did. Anyways obviously you’ve seen some talented kids come through small schools. It won’t happen on a regular basis but some areas just develop good young players and it just takes talent meeting the right genetics for lack of better words for one of these kids to be special. I look forward to following this kid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/12/03/trayce-jackson-davis-luke-brown-lead-indiana-basketball-top-performers/2194962002/

Kid can definitely put the ball in the basket. Anyone seen him play this year. Just wondering how he is progressing given the size of school he goes to and his opponents he is facing. I know it's a long shot he could make it at IU but he might still have to stay on the radar. Also, @FKIM01 @CauseThatsMyDJ @milehiiu and a few others....kid was 19-19 from the free throw line lol. Any chance that's related to the education he is getting from a legend coach?? Fundamentals....just doesn't get taught like it used to.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/12/03/trayce-jackson-davis-luke-brown-lead-indiana-basketball-top-performers/2194962002/

Kid can definitely put the ball in the basket. Anyone seen him play this year. Just wondering how he is progressing given the size of school he goes to and his opponents he is facing. I know it's a long shot he could make it at IU but he might still have to stay on the radar. Also, @FKIM01 @CauseThatsMyDJ @milehiiu and a few others....kid was 19-19 from the free throw line lol. Any chance that's related to the education he is getting from a legend coach?? Fundamentals....just doesn't get taught like it used to.

I don't want to hear the "size of the school" take.  From what I hear from my friends down that way, Purdue is all over the kid.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kid isn’t good enough.  Purdue won’t offer and IU won’t offer.  Not what they are looking for.  He scores a lot of points for a small school.  He is too short and not athletic enough for this level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/12/03/trayce-jackson-davis-luke-brown-lead-indiana-basketball-top-performers/2194962002/

Kid can definitely put the ball in the basket. Anyone seen him play this year. Just wondering how he is progressing given the size of school he goes to and his opponents he is facing. I know it's a long shot he could make it at IU but he might still have to stay on the radar. Also, @FKIM01 @CauseThatsMyDJ @milehiiu and a few others....kid was 19-19 from the free throw line lol. Any chance that's related to the education he is getting from a legend coach?? Fundamentals....just doesn't get taught like it used to.

Willing to answer, since you mentioned me.  Thank you for that.

Whenever questions about FT shooting come up, I always think back to the legendary coach of Valpariso High School...... Virgil Sweet,  who's TEAMS, not individuals consistently shot 90% or better from the line.  Totally on board with your statement about teaching the fundamentals.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

Kid isn’t good enough.  Purdue won’t offer and IU won’t offer.  Not what they are looking for.  He scores a lot of points for a small school.  He is too short and not athletic enough for this level.  

The kid is a freshman, so that's a bit unfair. If he's a shooter and a natural scorer, he's definitely worth a look. Plus, from what I understand, his athleticism may be hampered by a bone growth complication. I'd at least like to keep an eye on him, lest he ends up at Butler and torches us a few years down the road. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Willing to answer, since you mentioned me.  Thank you for that.

Whenever questions about FT shooting come up, I always think back to the legendary coach of Valpariso High School...... Virgil Sweet,  who's TEAMS, not individuals consistently shot 90% or better from the line.  Totally on board with your statement about teaching the fundamentals.

Not to get off topic,but I couldn't resist....maybe some IU players should try bending over and touching their socks (Alford) or blowing on their fingers (Kitchel) it seemed to work for them as both were excellent shooters

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Not to get off topic,but I couldn't resist....maybe some IU players should try bending over and touching their socks (Alford) or blowing on their fingers (Kitchel) it seemed to work for them as both were excellent shooters

All part of what I consider to be the two basic elements of successful free throw shooting.

Mental and mechanics.

In this case of the examples you have given... more mental.  But also mechanics in that it was muscle memory to set up the shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BEKA said:

The kid is a freshman, so that's a bit unfair. If he's a shooter and a natural scorer, he's definitely worth a look. Plus, from what I understand, his athleticism may be hampered by a bone growth complication. I'd at least like to keep an eye on him, lest he ends up at Butler and torches us a few years down the road. 

He's a sophomore, and his knee problems should be gone by the time he graduates. Osgood schlatter, it goes away once the bones stop growing. It's painful but it's also not something that would prevent him from playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HSRecruitingNews said:

I just watched that video from a couple months ago.

Ahhh gotcha... wasn't aware it was a recent video! I would be more interested in knowing how he does in AAU. He would have to play against better competition, so maybe that would be a better measuring stick for his prospects at the next level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BEKA said:

The kid is a freshman, so that's a bit unfair. If he's a shooter and a natural scorer, he's definitely worth a look. Plus, from what I understand, his athleticism may be hampered by a bone growth complication. I'd at least like to keep an eye on him, lest he ends up at Butler and torches us a few years down the road. 

Exactly. This is the kid who goes for 30 against IU and sinks the game-winning free throws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

Kid isn’t good enough.  Purdue won’t offer and IU won’t offer.  Not what they are looking for.  He scores a lot of points for a small school.  He is too short and not athletic enough for this level.  

Wonder what people were saying about the McMahon kid for Louisville who has been draining threes all year for them. I know he doesn’t fit in our defensive system but as a kid in a few years that could come in and hit free throws at end of games or come off the bench and nail a few threes. We can’t have a team full of 5 stars because kids aren’t willing to sit the bench. Who knows...maybe he could be a preferred walk on but I imagine he will play somewhere.

Edited by dgambill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×