Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

FKIM01

Luke Brown - The next Damon Bailey?

3 hours ago, rico said:

I spelled the last name wrong it is Holsinger.  And the one I am referring to went to Lapel.

My bad I meant Lapel and yes he was a very good player who went on to play well at Evansville.

On 1/9/2018 at 5:11 PM, addictedtoIU said:

Bad thing is the coach's a Purdue guy. Did you look at the color of his fleece? Maybe it's just coincidence. I'm sure our coaching staff will be on him.

Yep the coach played at Purdue in the 50’s. Hope we have a good shot at him. 

18 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Obviously not many but he attends a 3A. Have  you heard of Brody Body. Union Dugger graduating class of 41 students.  All 3 Graves WRV  Jeff Oliphant.   I could go on but it's a moot point Blackford is 3A

Obviously I was responding to your comment in saying you'd send your kids to a 1A with a coach you like rather than to a 4A because they'd still get enough exposure from AAU. Which is why I was drawling that comparison.  

I'm aware Blackford is a 3A (even though the bulk of their conference is 2A and they only play two 3A schools all season in basketball, the rest being A & AA). Blackford is the smallest school in 3A except for Park Tudor (who is allowed to recruit) and easily should be in 2A but the line has to start somewhere.

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Obviously I was responding to your comment in saying you'd send ths kids to a 1A with a coach you like rather than to a 4A because they'd still get enough exposure from AAU. Which is why I was drawling that comparison.  

I'm aware Blackford is a 3A (even though the bulk of their conference is 2A and they only play two 3A schools all season in basketball, the rest being A & AA). Blackford is the smallest school in 3A except for Park Tudor (who is allowed to recruit) and easily should be in 2A but the line has to start somewhere.

Not true. According to the IHSAA website, which I am looking at right now, there are 9 schools smaller than Blackford in 3A and Park Tudor is not one of them. They are in 2A.  Blackford has an enrollment of 558 while the biggest 3A school has 1053 [Marion).  The discrepancy in 4A from biggest to smallest is 5000 (Carmel) compared to 1056 (columbia city).  Crown Point the 12th largest enrollment in the state at 2763 is closer to dize to Blackford than they are Carmel.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

My bad I meant Lapel and yes he was a very good player who went on to play well at Evansville.

I do believe he had close to 1,500 career points for the Aces.  And btw, Alexandria was pretty dang good in that time frame as well.

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Obviously I was responding to your comment in saying you'd send your kids to a 1A with a coach you like rather than to a 4A because they'd still get enough exposure from AAU. Which is why I was drawling that comparison.  

Meh.......I still don't buy your stance.  My alma mater is 2A.  Back in the days of single class basketball we played FW Northside, FW Bishop Dwenger, FW Homestead, FW Carroll, Warsaw, and Columbia City and we usually came out on top.  It comes down to the coach and what he has in place youth wise.  I don't want hear any of this big school better than small school stuff.

I know its a different state, but small school really doesn't mean much anymore with aau. There are good coaches at all levels and talent is talent. My high school in AZ was 2a (out of 5). Our starting five all had d1 offers, with 4 playing d1 ball in college (one chose to not go to college). 

Edited by hoosierdaddy1020

On 1/10/2018 at 5:50 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Obviously not many but he attends a 3A. Have  you heard of Brody Body. Union Dugger graduating class of 41 students.  All 3 Graves WRV  Jeff Oliphant.   I could go on but it's a moot point Blackford is 3A

Brody Boyd has branched off into other endeavors since he left Iowa.   Here's another list he is on, and it isn't the high school state scoring leaders.  Last name on the page for those who are interested.

http://www.indianacentralnews.com/arrests/archives/01-2017/10

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Brody Boyd has branched off into other endeavors since he left Iowa.   Here's another list he is on, and it isn't the high school state scoring leaders.  Last name on the page for those who are interested.

http://www.indianacentralnews.com/arrests/archives/01-2017/10

I could have swore that he got a dui in Iowa less than two weeks ago??????  Maybe I am wrong.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I could have swore that he got a dui in Iowa less than two weeks ago??????  Maybe I am wrong.

My link is from 2017, and it's possible he didn't do significant time.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

My link is from 2017, and it's possible he didn't do significant time.

I didn't see the date on yours, I quickly scrolled to the bottom.  But apparently life after b-ball hasn't been kind to him.

Just now, rico said:

I didn't see the date on yours, I quickly scrolled to the bottom.  But apparently life after b-ball hasn't been kind to him.

I believe he actually had a DUI while he was a player at Iowa as well.  But, the arrest last year seems to be a step up.

One of the Indy station had a segment on  Luke Brown this evening.  They asked him his goals and he said to get a D1 scholarship and when asked what school he liked best he said IU.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

One of the Indy station had a segment on  Luke Brown this evening.  They asked him his goals and he said to get a D1 scholarship and when asked what school he liked best he said IU.

atta boy. Smart, and good for ticket sales at his HS games 

On 1/11/2018 at 11:31 PM, IU Scott said:

I love hearing that...I just hope those knees hold up!

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 1:15 PM, ColtsIUDomer said:

North Miami HS

About when did you graduate? I know a guy that played there. I remember some other TRC guys (Rochester) yelling “you’re tough, you’re TRC tough” at him during track. Good times. 

On 1/10/2018 at 4:32 PM, Seeking6 said:

Pure speculation on my part. This won't be this kids last high school team. If they moved that quickly once I think they will again. 

Where would they go? Hoover was turned down from other jobs because of his age.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Where would they go? Hoover was turned down from other jobs because of his age.

Not sure yet. Like I said. Pure speculation on my part but it's been my experience that people who make moves like this....typically make them again. Maybe not the coach but the family of the player might want to move for more exposure, higher level of competition, etc...whatever the case might be. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure yet. Like I said. Pure speculation on my part but it's been my experience that people who make moves like this....typically make them again. Maybe not the coach but the family of the player might want to move for more exposure, higher level of competition, etc...whatever the case might be. 

Didn't I read where is older sister plays volleyball at Ball St.?  If so that might be the reason he is at Blackford.

• Like 1