2022 OT Bray Lynch Commits to Indiana

btownqb

16 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Any info as to why the instate schools haven’t offered except TCU? Even if he’s not A&M or UT caliber, I would have expected the likes of Baylor, Tech, Houston, and SMU to be after him. Especially given the high profile HS program he plays for. 

Not entirely sure but I do have some thoughts.  Unfortunately the only school in Texas where I have any connections is SMU, and that's only when he decides to share something.  Not the kind of relationship where I can really ask questions.  I used to be able to get pretty solid information about the comings and goings at Texas A&M but that ended at the beginning of the Jimbo Fisher era.  If we're ever involved for a recruit from Highland Park HS though, I'm well positioned to provide excellent feedback, and I'll leave it at that for plausible deniability!  Unrelated to the last statement, two of my nephews played locally and graduated in the last 5 years (one 6A and the other 4A).  Both we're recruited and both were injured severely enough to end their football days.  The 4A nephew played TE and was getting regular communication from Notre Dame before the injury.  The best program recruiting the 6A nephew, who played Center, was Arkansas.  At 6'3" 220, I'm on the smallish side in family photos.

The first thing I'll say is there are similar dynamics in football recruiting in Texas as there are for basketball in Indiana.  The state is partitioned off into regions of recruiting ownership/dominance, and because it's so large if often doesn't make sense for schools to invest resources in low percentage battles.  As an example, the Aggies may be one of the top two programs in the state but they're a distant 5th in the DFW area behind UT, OU, TCU, and SMU, and it seems they've all but given up trying.  Just like Indiana, it means they don't have strong relationships with HS coaches in some regions or make much effort to scout these regions.  For the second tier schools it's like patchwork and based a lot more on relationships, so it's not as simple as just looking at a map and inferring school X should recruit a particular area that may only be 100 miles away.

Second, certain parts of country are rightfully known for certain types of attributes, even if these are over-generalizations.  If you want speed look to Florida and Georgia.  If you want beef for your line look to places like Texas and the Southern States to the East.  Case in point, Baylor's primary hunting grounds are right in the heart of where Lynch plays so you'd think he'd be a priority target.  They've signed 3 OTs for this class, all of them are from Texas, and all of them are ranked nearly identical to Lynch (942,972,984).  I want to stop short of saying this type of player is a dime-a-dozen in Texas, maybe a fifty cent piece a dozen?  Why them and not Lynch? 

Well, let's swing it back to relationships.  if you take a close look at his Westlake teammates, Baylor didn't offer #545 bookend OT Connor Robertson either.  They made at best a half-hearted offer to #65 and the 5th highest ranked QB in the nation Cade Klubnik, and were eliminated very early on from consideration.  I don't think it's because Baylor thinks Robertson sucks and Klubnik was just a backup plan.  At a certain point you have to start assuming this isn't coincidental and summize instead that Baylor's coaching staff has great connections at the other Austin H.S. 10 miles away (which they do), and 4 other schools in Westlake's district, but doesn't have any inside track at Westlake.  Baylor probably just took the path of least resistance and is in the enviable position of having a lot more local options than schools in other parts of the country... like Indiana.

Finally, let's not forget that he did receive offers from Oklahoma State, TCU, and Southern Miss.  I can tell you first hand that there are TCU favored schools and there are SMU favored schools, which differs a bit from Indiana where PU and IU go head-to-head more often than not.  While neither Indiana school is going to be scared off by the other, it's a bit different for TCU and SMU.

I think I've covered Baylor and SMU so here's a quick explanation on the "reluctance" of the other Texas schools + OU to offer:

Texas Tech - Lubbock is in far West Texas, 373 mi away from Austin.  For perspective, it's the same as asking why IU didn't offer Joe Blow in Huntsville, AL (379 mi away)

Houston - This one is a little tougher to figure out, as they did offer his teammate OT Robertson.  Very few of Houston's offers were to players in this part of the state, which is about the equivalent of IU trying to recruit Fort Wayne.  Maybe Robertson was a site unseen offer (like most of Houston's other offers to high ranked players in Central Texas).  Maybe they didn't want to offer two players playing the same position on the same team.  Maybe they didn't like Lynch as player, although I find this one to be least plausible reason.

UT, OU and Texas A&M - this is the easiest one of all.  These 3 schools target and land Top 300 OL talent, simple as that.

I haven't seen Lynch play so I can only really comment on the exceptionally high level of competition he's faced in his high school career.  Hoover's was pretty damn high, Lynch's is even higher.

BTW, did anyone else notice Penn State has landed 8 4* recruits and now has the 2nd highest rated class?  So strange to see IU's name two spots behind Florida and 2 spots ahead of Clemson.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Not striking out on too many guys right now.... 

There was the group of Monds, Durant, Spells, Cooper, and Mullen that we had been recruiting for a long time. I thought we had a decent shot some of them, but I could have seen us getting 0 or 1 also.  Getting 3 of 5 was incredible.

Then throw in some guys we hadn't been on as long like Hoover, Miller, Smith, Jones, and Lynch who all committed recently (assuming on Lynch), and we have been getting a lot of guys we've wanted. 

The next group I'm following is the group of Strickland, Moore, and Gaines. Really if we get any of them I'd be pretty happy. 2 or more and I'd be really happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

There was the group of Monds, Durant, Spells, Cooper, and Mullen that we had been recruiting for a long time. I thought we had a decent shot some of them, but I could have seen us getting 0 or 1 also.  Getting 3 of 5 was incredible.

Then throw in some guys we hadn't been on as long like Hoover, Miller, Smith, Jones, and Lynch who all committed recently (assuming on Lynch), and we have been getting a lot of guys we've wanted. 

The next group I'm following is the group of Strickland, Moore, and Gaines. Really if we get any of them I'd be pretty happy. 2 or more and I'd be really happy.

I really want both Moore and Strickland. I also think we should be able to flip Alfonzo Allen with ASU being in all thr trouble their in right now. Gaines would be great but those other guys fill an absolute need. 

11 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I really want both Moore and Strickland. I also think we should be able to flip Alfonzo Allen with ASU being in all thr trouble their in right now. Gaines would be great but those other guys fill an absolute need. 

Agreed. I think OL and DL are the spots we need the most help.

Allen would be a huge one to flip. I'm guessing some of his offers were early on when he was ranked higher, but that offer list is a who's who in college football. Bama, Clemson, OU.

• KDB changed the title to 2022 OT Bray Lynch Commits to Indiana

Some of me thinks he is a moving to center candidate. 

Multiple Ivy League offers and Duke was in his Top 3, so obviously the kid is smart. Take a maybe a little "undersized" Tackle and make him a center... might have something there. 

Just thinking out loud. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...