Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

I ain't going to lie...growing up in high school around 25 years ago I used ride services.....called bumming a ride from my friends lol. I usually chipped in some gas money lol. I could afford a car (I got one my senior year just before going to college) just not car insurance. I only worked in the summers because I was always playing a sport or traveling to an academic quiz bowl or something. I have 7 other siblings so imagine trying to insure all those vehicles etc.....just wasn't an option until I could do it myself. Now kids probably couldn't afford the gas...much less a used car with the prices they are right now and insurance on top. I totally understand why most wouldn't need a car....however living in rural Indiana if you don't have a car...well that would eliminate almost your entire social life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I ain't going to lie...growing up in high school around 25 years ago I used ride services.....called bumming a ride from my friends lol. I usually chipped in some gas money lol. I could afford a car (I got one my senior year just before going to college) just not car insurance. I only worked in the summers because I was always playing a sport or traveling to an academic quiz bowl or something. I have 7 other siblings so imagine trying to insure all those vehicles etc.....just wasn't an option until I could do it myself. Now kids probably couldn't afford the gas...much less a used car with the prices they are right now and insurance on top. I totally understand why most wouldn't need a car....however living in rural Indiana if you don't have a car...well that would eliminate almost your entire social life.

I quit playing high school baseball because I could not get a ride home. We were 30-35 min drive and no one on baseball team lived close. There few several on the track team so I ran track. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I quit playing high school baseball because I could not get a ride home. We were 30-35 min drive and no one on baseball team lived close. There few several on the track team so I ran track. 

Funny I could probably walk to the school (about a mile) baseball field (same distance)...but I was very fortunate that almost all the boys in my class we all grew up playing sports together and did all through school. Actually I was on the golf team....and we drove to practice like 20 miles away every day, and to many of the local meets. We were a bunch of idiots....probably blew most my money on gas and food driving back and forth just to practice because everyone drove gas hog 60-70's Mustangs and GTOs and Chevy Novas etc and were drag racing half the time lol. Heck I remember one friend had a brown silverado that had one of those older camaro engines I think dropped in it (i'm not a car guy)....once that thing was rolling along...it was incredibly fast..and loud lol. You wouldn't win a drag race but if you was to come alongside/behind someone on the highway when he punched it...it was amazing a big truck could move like that. Anyways...the good ol days lol. I'd have no clue without a car how kids would get out and do much socializing....we used to pitch a tent out in the state parks and have a couple cold ones or just shoot the breeze almost every weekend.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

He's a great guy. Always had the kids that played for him (I played JV baseball for him) and students he taught best interest at heart.

I think it's pretty cool we have an Alford connection.  Sam graduated from WHS.  I went to the same church as Sam's parents and have met Sam and Steve. 

I can't imagine not wanting a drivers license. I had wheels pretty early. A dirtbike as a kid equals freedom. 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, now 12 US servicemen have been killed in a suicide bombing outside of Kabul airport. I'm so frustrated and angry. Joe Biden has their blood on his hands and should resign...

Did you see the story about the morons that took their kids to Afghanistan for a summer vacation?  Holy hell, how dumb can you get. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I was the youngest in my class too, so I didn't get to take driver's ed til I was a junior...my instructor was Sam Alford...Steve's dad...he called me "lead foot." 

I had Steve Redenbaugh as a Drivers Ed teacher. He took us each morning to get McDonalds Egg McMuffins, that he bought, a the McDonalds on North Walnut Bloomington. It was the very first Egg McMuffin that I had ever had. That was rich people stuff. 

My first trip he asked.... "You drive Tractors, don't you?" . :)

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I had Steve Redenbaugh as a Drivers Ed teacher. He took us each morning to get McDonalds Egg McMuffins, that he bought, a the McDonalds on North Walnut Bloomington. It was the very first Egg McMuffin that I had ever had. That was rich people stuff. 

My first trip he asked.... "You drive Tractors, don't you?" . :)

I did some student teaching with Steve then did a extended subbing for his class. Great story teller 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

RFK assassin Sirhan Sirhan wins his 16th parole hearing with the support of 2 of Kennedys children. 

Just saw that...

He gets out in California...he walks around that place for a while, and he'll be saying, "these ******* people are crazy!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Such a tragic event. Girl riding her trike, obviously prepping for the Little 500 trike race, killed while riding in her cul-de-sac, not on some busy street. Where can kids be safe now? The driver/ murderer, a previously deported illegal, was arrested after fleeing the scene.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

This headline on ESPN is why commas are important. When I first read this, I actually thought Joe Burrow had died. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32177473/giraffe-named-cincinnati-bengals-qb-joe-burrow-dies-falling-ill

One of my favorite Cafes has signs all over with Funny quips. One right at the counter says “ Let’s eat Grandma. Let’s eat, Grandma.”Commas are important!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2