Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

Not a story, but an incident. 

My mom suffers from debilitating anxiety. I finally convinced her to start seeing a therapist. She's at a session today when suddenly there's a noise so loud it knocks the pictures off the walls. Apparently there was a teenager in the room next door who got so angry at his counselor, he grabbed a bookcase and threw it into the wall. He then went out into the hall and loudly refused to go back into the room. My mom's therapist had to go and try to help calm the kid down, cutting into my mom's session. My mom ended her session feeling more anxious than when she began. 

Like I've said before, a lot of angry people in the world these days. I blame social media and talk radio the most. 

Edited by TheWatShot
  • Sad 1

So this guy threatened to shoot up his school, was "evaluated" and somehow the threat and/or the evaluation never made it into the firearms background check system...The Cruz kid that killed 17 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland Florida had an even more extensive history of mental/behavioral problems and had made comments about shooting up places before, and he passed a firearms background check as well. 

I strongly support the 2nd Amendment, but there's a disconnect here. Letting mentally ill people have access to firearms is nuts, and that includes parents/relatives who don't practice proper firearm storage procedures. 

The people who do the mental evaluations need to look at the history, look at the statements seriously, and communicate issues into the system. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

This is so weird. They are outlawing camping so homeless people can’t camp out? 

I think they're more trying to force them into making living arrangements.

My niece works for the city of San Francisco. She always tells me the homeless there won't take rooms or housing because they don't want to comply with any rules (and in California and San Francisco in particular the rules aren't very harsh). Drug use and mental health problems are a big issue. 

From reading the cited article, seems like they're trying to force people to at least try to get help. Says they really haven't enforced laws that are on the books and probably won't enforce this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

This is so weird. They are outlawing camping so homeless people can’t camp out? 

I am assuming they are outlawing camping on state owned land that isn't a campground.  Seemed like this issue came up at a Goshen/Elkhart city park a few years ago here in Indiana.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My niece works for the city of San Francisco. She always tells me the homeless there won't take rooms or housing because they don't want to comply with any rules (and in California and San Francisco in particular the rules aren't very harsh). Drug use and mental health problems are a big issue. 

From reading the cited article, seems like they're trying to force people to at least try to get help. Says they really haven't enforced laws that are on the books and probably won't enforce this one.

I have heard the same thing about following the rules here locally.  It would seem that a lot of the homeless prefer alcohol/drugs over a place to stay.

43 minutes ago, rico said:

I have heard the same thing about following the rules here locally.  It would seem that a lot of the homeless prefer alcohol/drugs over a place to stay.

The homeless that I’ve talked to are usually afraid of getting their things stolen or abused at most places provided for them. It’s sad that they feel safer on the street than in a shelter. Because the street is not safe. 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I do think there’s some of the not wanting to follow rules for drugs/alcohol, but there is also fear of violence and theft in many of these places. 

It’s a very complicated problem. There’s a woman I sometimes chat with by my subway station near work and she would never go to a shelter. She says she’s seen too many women beaten up or raped in shelters. And I don’t think this woman abuses drugs. She seems fairly well put together, but has run into some tough times. I’m always concerned about her during the winter, but she says she has lots of places to keep warm that are safer. 

A family in my community had a "Special Needs Child" sign stolen from their neighborhood. They have a special needs child and wanted anyone driving through the area to be aware of that if they saw children out playing. I wonder what the thief did with the sign? Maybe he/she just wanted it for their own special needs child? 😔

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Another mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas. 14 children and 1 teacher dead at Robb Elementary School. 

SMH...what kind of monster would do this to 7,8, and 9 year olds?

It just continues...and will continue.  Our society is quite broken.  All the king's horses and all the king's men...sigh...nevermind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

It just continues...and will continue.  Our society is quite broken.  All the king's horses and all the king's men...sigh...nevermind.

This country is a sh#thole ruled by selfish, mean, shortsighted people. I say this as a veteran who signed up to fight for it years ago. I’m ashamed of what this country has become.

• Sad 1

Death toll up to 18 kids, 3 adults, including the shooter...

Again, reports coming out the shooter had all but announced his intentions on social media...

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

This country is a sh#thole ruled by selfish, mean, shortsighted people. I say this as a veteran who signed up to fight for it years ago. I’m ashamed of what this country has become.

It wasn't like this 50 years ago. What has changed? 

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Again, reports coming out the shooter had all but announced his intentions on social media...

So much selfishness and hatred. And big money/power wants to divide. It often feels like 60-70% of the country is unreachable behind their barriers. 

55 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

The world is a shithole ran by selfish evil souls. I say this as a non veteran who had every intention of serving until I decided not to. I have much respect for our veterans, I come from a military family, but I have no regrets for my decision. 

59 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There are many reasons I'm sure but at the top of my list is the breakdown of the nuclear family unit.

Boys need the strong hand of discipline from dad and a mother to nurture them and teach them empathy and compassion.  The absence of one leads to what we see. 

Notice it's predominantly young males that cause this violence and in almost every case lack a strong mother AND father figure. 

I say father figure because I had a dad and step-dad who were both fine but my grandpa was my rock. 

Edited by mrflynn03

I want to try to make this generally apolitical, but it's a political question, so please just keep that in mind and try to toe the line here for the sake of me learning about other's views.

Would you support universal background checks?  It seems to be the lowest common denominator of potential regulations that could/should be agreeable.  I would hypothesize it can't get passed for structural/political reasons, not related to its relative agreeableness.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I want to try to make this generally apolitical, but it's a political question, so please just keep that in mind and try to toe the line here for the sake of me learning about other's views.

Would you support universal background checks?  It seems to be the lowest common denominator of potential regulations that could/should be agreeable.  I would hypothesize it can't get passed for structural/political reasons, not related to its relative agreeableness.

Yes. 

If for no other reason than we haven't had them and there are far too many mass shootings (one is too many), so something needs to be done to at least attempt regulation. The current status quo is not working.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

As an avid and unapologetic gun owner and 2A advocate I personally have no problem with UBC's. 

The problem is they sell UBC's as a gunshow loophole. It is not. Go try to buy a gun from a gun show and see what happens, an NICS background check. 

There is a very serious mental health crisis in this country.  Nobody wants to admit it or address it. 

I've been I'm rehab for alcoholism since January, was in inpatient at a place called Wooded Glen in Henryville.  

I'm an alcoholic and no longer afraid to admit it. 

I have an opportunity to develope a new program with the things I learned.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I would certainly support anything that helps the situation.  And, while background checks would help, they will not stop most of these, especially school shootings.  Most school shooters are getting their hands on these weapons by means other than legally purchasing from a licensed dealer.

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

I would certainly support anything that helps the situation.  And, while background checks would help, they will not stop most of these, especially school shootings.  Most school shooters are getting their hands on these weapons by means other than legally purchasing from a licensed dealer.

It's a really deep problem.  Mental health and breakdown of the traditional family unit. 

• Like 1