Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I agree with your sentiment, but let me play devil's advocate for a minute.

First, these would not be relatively cheap solutions. Multiply the number of classrooms and hallways in a typical school building, then times the number of schools in a school district. The number becomes very big, very fast. I did a brief search for the cost of a surveillance camera, and even at $180 a pop, that's a lot of money. Until this becomes a federal government issue, and some of the billions that are sent overseas get redirected to take care of homeland security, this is going to be too expensive for many/most school districts.

Secondly, even though student safety is paramount, I think there would be some pushback from local teacher unions on having cameras in the classroom. I mean, would you want your entire workday on film? Imagine if your employer could go back and review and see how often you were on HSN instead of working? 😜 This issue is at the forefront now, due to the shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, but it's gonna take time and negotiations to implement what you are proposing in union employee, government funded institutions. Way different than private employers as far making quick change.

I bolded some of your response, which I am in total agreement with. It'll definitely take federal money, but some of the things we spend money on now need to be reevaluated and prioritized... And I think this would rate pretty highly...

If the unions (and I work with public unions every day, so I do know how they can be) pushed back on cameras in the halls/classrooms, I'd think that would be a terrible look for them. I have to believe that had Robb Elementary School had cameras in classrooms, and law enforcement had been able to see what Ramos was doing, there would have been a much quicker resolution. 

I personally think a 6 foot high chain link fence with one gate that was locked and entry and classroom doors locked would have prevented this whole incident. 

Gang,

We all need to.pause here. This thread is not going to go anywhere good.

Let's avoid politics. We show keep tipping our toe in the water here, and it never goes well.

Nobody.is going to change anybody else's views here, and this isn't the place to try anyways.

Somehow we all decided the cc corner is the new political thread.  :(

Nothing productive is gonna happen here....especially considering this is a sports board. Not a current events or political board. 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You're talking about ways to minimize body count (and I feel really sad putting it like that, but...) And I'm talking about negating the threat all together...

It doesn't take much "motivation" to go into a gun store and when you're refused buying an AR-15 because they're outlawed, and saying, "ok, give me a Glock 19 and a couple of 33 round magazines for it." 

That would fire at the same rate as an AR-15. That would hold the same capacity as the magazines the Ramos kid had for his AR. The only difference is the round they fire, and while the Glock's round (9mm) is not quite as lethal, it'll damn sure do the job.

I enjoy talking with you, but will admit it gets tiresome because you always try to over trivialize everything and play a game of whataboutism with false equivalencies (i.e. VT, comparing our fatalities to drug torn countries ruled by drug lords, etc.) . Sometimes it's like you're asking me to observe a situation and not use my eyes. So, I'll need to take a break on this. Plus i'm leaving for the weekend. 

That said, I don't think you'll negate the threat all together with that idea, being that most school shootings are committed by students from that school....students who can get into the school without raising red flags. And then you have concert venues, movie theaters, churches, etc. which are also soft targets preyed on by these cowardly assholes. 

Again, your idea sounds great to me. But I think it's a pipe dream that it will completely stop school shootings. But, we are getting lost in the weeds. 

To the point that i keep reiterating: all solutions need to be on the table. But you seem to keep taking talk of any type of gun control off the table even though the constant amongst the most fatal tragedies (except one...Virginia Tech) is that they were committed with some sort of AR-15 style gun. Is there really no reason why this isn't the weapon of choice? If so , why aren't they using any other weapon?

I mean, do we send our soldiers into war with six shooters? 

No. Because they aren't as efficient or as deadly. 

Efficient and powerful guns that hold a lot of highly lethal rounds, easily accessed by mentally unhealthy individuals, entering soft targets does not make for a good situation. I see 3 problems in that last statement (guns, mental health, soft targets). You seem to be telling me that you only see 2. If that's the case then we'll just have to agree to disagree because the back and forth is not doing any good. 

• Like 1

Here are FBI statistics on weapons used in homicides.  Look at where rifles are. 

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8.xls

I'll be done after this. 

Sure, go ahead and ban AR15's. 

I'll still have the CETME .308.  I will take my proceeds from selling my AR's to the US gov, because they will have to compensate, and go buy an AK, or maybe an M1A, I've always wanted and FN FAL. 

My question is, do you stop at just AR15's?

I am making an executive decision without time to consult my fellow mods.

But all.discussion on gun control just needs to stop. 

Nothing, except maybe abortion, can be more blatantly political.  We need to get back to being HSN. Not FOX, CNN or MSNBC..

There are plenty of other outlets for that.

Back to our roots. Not divisive topics Not relating to IU or sports.

If my fellow mods and I decide to change that, I will back off from this edict.  Lol

But until then...

Just no. This is going to go badly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am making an executive decision without time to consult my fellow mods.

But all.discussion on gun control just needs to stop. 

Nothing, except maybe abortion, can be more blatantly political.  We need to get back to being HSN. Not FOX, CNN or MSNBC..

There are plenty of other outlets for that.

Back to our roots. Not divisive topics Not relating to IU or sports.

If my fellow mods and I decide to change that, I will back off from this edict.  Lol

But until then...

Just no. This is going to go badly.

I've been reading and waiting....kudos to you guys for letting this go along. I'll say it again. Fundraiser for the board. $20 for one day thread only. Let it rip....haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://nypost.com/2022/05/27/texas-school-shooter-got-in-through-door-propped-open-by-teacher/

Pathetic police response IMO. 

Lives could have been saved had the police acted immediately. 

A teacher had propped the door open. Don't know what to say about that. 

What heroic actions by the 6 yr old calling 911.

Another hero was the border patrol agent getting a haircut who borrowed the gun from his barber and rushed to the scene. 

As is seemingly usual, there were plenty of warning signs. 

Had somebody spoke up, had the teacher kept the door closed, had police not waited...

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Reacher said:

https://nypost.com/2022/05/27/texas-school-shooter-got-in-through-door-propped-open-by-teacher/

Pathetic police response IMO. 

Lives could have been saved had the police acted immediately. 

A teacher had propped the door open. Don't know what to say about that. 

What heroic actions by the 6 yr old calling 911.

Another hero was the border patrol agent getting a haircut who borrowed the gun from his barber and rushed to the scene. 

As is seemingly usual, there were plenty of warning signs. 

Had somebody spoke up, had the teacher kept the door closed, had police not waited...

From what I heard this morning on the news, the "commander" of the response team made quite a few mistakes?  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Seems the perpetrator, Dennis Butler, was a convicted felon who never should have had access to ANY firearm, yet... 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Seems the perpetrator, Dennis Butler, was a convicted felon who never should have had access to ANY firearm, yet... 

I happen to know a guy (thanks mom) that committed armed robbery back in the 90's.

He accumulated quite a few handguns and rifles.  After a probation violation for unrelated charges they were discovered by police.

When I went to the PD to take possession I talked to the assistant chief who was signing them over to me. Basically, they really don't care that much about felons in possession. There were no gun charges. 

Edited by mrflynn03

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some friends of mine went camping this weekend. Their RV has a vanity New Mexico plate on the front. A gray-haired man walking past their campsite stopped when he saw it and asked if New Mexico is a state. When they told him yes, he asked where is it. They told him in the southwest part of the country. He then said, "Oh, so it's near San Diego, then?" 

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Some friends of mine went camping this weekend. Their RV has a vanity New Mexico plate on the front. A gray-haired man walking past their campsite stopped when he saw it and asked if New Mexico is a state. When they told him yes, he asked where is it. They told him in the southwest part of the country. He then said, "Oh, so it's near San Diego, then?" 

My Dad taught grade school for awhile. One of his favorite stories:

His class had spent about a week studying the Middle East. He asked a kid to go to the map and point out Lebanon. After the kid was there for awhile, my Dad asked if he needed help. Kid said, "no, my aunt lives in Crawfordsville, if I can find that, I can find Lebanon". 

• Haha 1

Remember the kid who was supposedly set on fire by bullies?  Turns out that wasn't what really happened.  This is a good reminder for people to not jump to conclusions until an investigation is done.

The accused kid is not only innocent, he tried to help.

It was the mother who lied.  Then she got $500,000 from GoFundMe.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10940387/Mother-Connecticut-kid-accused-setting-6-year-old-fire-rips-family-amid-new-video.html

• Sad 2