Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

Such a tragedy. On July 4th of all days. Grew up in the area. Several friends along the North Shore. 3 hours after the shooting and still not found. To our brethren from the area our thoughts are with you. To everyone else enjoy your 4th....but say a small one for these folks today. Just mind boggling. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gunfire-erupts-area-fourth-july-parade-route-highland-park-illinois-sh-rcna36565

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Such a tragedy. On July 4th of all days. Grew up in the area. Several friends along the North Shore. 3 hours after the shooting and still not found. To our brethren from the area our thoughts are with you. To everyone else enjoy your 4th....but say a small one for these folks today. Just mind boggling. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/gunfire-erupts-area-fourth-july-parade-route-highland-park-illinois-sh-rcna36565

It’s exhausting and tragic that this continues to happen here. It’s also sad, that this is never surprising anymore. It’s now expected every few days like clockwork. 

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1823016659

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s exhausting and tragic that this continues to happen here. It’s also sad, that this is never surprising anymore. It’s now expected every few days like clockwork. 

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1823016659

Our country has passed a threshold where we will likely never be able to live without expectation that this will continue to happen over and over again.  At the very least, it will require a complete societal change encompassing an entire generation before those individuals who are capable of such actions to no longer be a threat.  Unfortunately, every time it happens, it sows the seeds that will lead to future tragedies.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Suspect now in custody. As usual, there was a social media trail that should have been acted upon. 

Absolutely... And had anyone close to this kid been paying attention, the signs were right there.

Illinois has some of the toughest requirements of any state for buying or owning a gun. I had to have one for a muzzle loading black powder rifle when I lived there. Even a mental evaluation in the last 5 years would have disqualified him from obtaining and Illinois Firearm Owners ID card. 

That's IF he has one. If he doesn't, and it was a relative's weapon, then they should be held to account. 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Absolutely... And had anyone close to this kid been paying attention, the signs were right there.

Illinois has some of the toughest requirements of any state for buying or owning a gun. I had to have one for a muzzle loading black powder rifle when I lived there. Even a mental evaluation in the last 5 years would have disqualified him from obtaining and Illinois Firearm Owners ID card. 

That's IF he has one. If he doesn't, and it was a relative's weapon, then they should be held to account. 

Without divulging much a person I know taught him in high school. The text said he was always the kid people should keep an eye out for. No clue where our world is heading but the signs were there, the social media was there...yet nothing happened. 

I know we can't go around arresting people on hunches....but if the extreme signs are there man there has to be a way. Mental evaluation or help.....or just something. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Without divulging much a person I know taught him in high school. The text said he was always the kid people should keep an eye out for. No clue where our world is heading but the signs were there, the social media was there...yet nothing happened. 

I know we can't go around arresting people on hunches....but if the extreme signs are there man there has to be a way. Mental evaluation or help.....or just something. 

Maybe nobody knows what to do. But good grief, ANYTHING is better than doing nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sadly I mentioned during the last school shooting that you could ask any school's staff and students to name the top 5 most likely to shoot up a school and you would get a very similar list from everyone.  Now clearly we shouldn't go locking up people on hunches, totally agree.  I have captured bloody and disturbing drawings from students and sent them to the principal and school counselors.  No clue what happened from there.  You only hope someone follows up but I always tried loving on the most despised kids that seemed to have no one that liked, loved, or cared for or about them.  Just sad man

• Like 3

It's extremely difficult to get mental health care that makes a difference. If the person needing help is over 18, it's nearly impossible without the person's consent. No matter how much you want to help, you can't. I was a part of a support group for mental illness for several years and the frustration for people who have mentally ill loved ones is nearly unbearable. The HIPPA laws severely restrict what parents and relatives can do, no matter how concerned they are. It's tragic really. It's a hard problem and politicians and government officials don't do hard problems very well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I cleared several posts. Just stop, please. Be freaking adults and follow simple damn rules. It's infuriating at this point.

You need to start using middle names like moms do when they get mad.  When I heard "5 Benjamin Fouls, you stop that right now!", I knew it was time to stop.  

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Two year old child lost both parents in the shooting.  

As of this morning the gofundme for the kid is up to almost $2M. Won't replace what he lost obviously but nice to know he'll never have to worry about the $ department.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The kid passed a FOID request and 4 separate background checks to buy guns AFTER he'd been ruled a "clear and present danger" over an incident in 2019...

That's why I've consistently said enforcing our existing laws is much more important than making new laws in trying to curb this issue.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just learned that a gentleman that worked for my firm was one of the 7 victims. He was 88 years old and still taking care of his clients.

Very sad

Darn it. I was curious about him and his age...probably just enjoying some of his final 4th's and this crap has to happen. 

After the shooter acted in Chicago, he drove to Madison, Wisconsin to ditch his phone.  While here, he considered shooting at a second parade, as he still had 60 rounds of ammo.  Instead, he returned to Chicago and was arrested.

Based on where his phone was found, he was within a few hundred yards of me while he was thinking about a second attack, and we were having a parade in our neighborhood with about 600 people.

• Sad 6

17 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

After the shooter acted in Chicago, he drove to Madison, Wisconsin to ditch his phone.  While here, he considered shooting at a second parade, as he still had 60 rounds of ammo.  Instead, he returned to Chicago and was arrested.

Based on where his phone was found, he was within a few hundred yards of me while he was thinking about a second attack, and we were having a parade in our neighborhood with about 600 people.

That's so scary. Terrible that we have to always be thinking that it could be us. We are not going to stop our lifestyle but every time we are in a big crowd my mind goes to the what ifs.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Yikes, that goes to show that we are most likely not safe anywhere. 

• Like 2