Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

• 2 weeks later...

One of the first on scene to Robb elementary school shooting now works for the Uvalde school district after resigning her previous job.

In the video she is caught saying if her kid was in Robb elementary she wouldn't be outside. Now she's hired to protect those same exact kids she refused to the first time. 

So, we have a mentally ill guy in our local park - Prospect Park. The mentally ill guy is an older, homeless dude with dreadlocks who carries a big staff. A few months ago, he attacked a woman and her dog. The dog, Moose, a golden retriever, died a week later from the injuries he sustained trying to protect the woman.

The guy is still in the park. My wife runs in the park most mornings and she saw him jump out at another jogger, but the woman was able to escape. This was a couple of weeks ago and it really freaked her out. She does run with pepper spray and woe to the person who tries to talk to her or approach her. She does not play. 

Anyway, the NYPD know that the guy is there and that he threatens and attacks people on the regular. There are so many complaints on local Reddit about the guy. So many complaints to the local precinct, but absolutely nothing has happened. The NYPD is still on their unofficial strike that they have been on since 2020. This just blows me away: “At a virtual town meeting, Capt. Frantz Souffrant of the NYPD noted that numerous people in the area wear dreadlocks and carry staves.”

There have been some attempts to get a group together to push for something or anything to happen, but it doesn’t look like the NYPD will act. I keep thinking of how we would have handled something like this in Southern Indiana. I know the guy is troubled and ill, but he is going to kill someone one of these days. And if my dog was the one killed, the dude would already be six feet under.

End of rant. 

• Like 3

On 10/7/2022 at 4:31 PM, Lostin76 said:

So, we have a mentally ill guy in our local park - Prospect Park. The mentally ill guy is an older, homeless dude with dreadlocks who carries a big staff. A few months ago, he attacked a woman and her dog. The dog, Moose, a golden retriever, died a week later from the injuries he sustained trying to protect the woman.

The guy is still in the park. My wife runs in the park most mornings and she saw him jump out at another jogger, but the woman was able to escape. This was a couple of weeks ago and it really freaked her out. She does run with pepper spray and woe to the person who tries to talk to her or approach her. She does not play. 

Anyway, the NYPD know that the guy is there and that he threatens and attacks people on the regular. There are so many complaints on local Reddit about the guy. So many complaints to the local precinct, but absolutely nothing has happened. The NYPD is still on their unofficial strike that they have been on since 2020. This just blows me away: “At a virtual town meeting, Capt. Frantz Souffrant of the NYPD noted that numerous people in the area wear dreadlocks and carry staves.”

There have been some attempts to get a group together to push for something or anything to happen, but it doesn’t look like the NYPD will act. I keep thinking of how we would have handled something like this in Southern Indiana. I know the guy is troubled and ill, but he is going to kill someone one of these days. And if my dog was the one killed, the dude would already be six feet under.

End of rant. 

There's a mental health crisis in our country... There's no denying that...

We took our granddaughter to the Aquarium Restaurant in Houston last week. As we were leaving, we went under an overpass that probably had 200 people in tents, boxes, sleeping bags... It's getting bad down here... Every street corner seems to have people panhandling. Can't go to too many of the shopping stores without getting approached for money... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We took our granddaughter to the Aquarium Restaurant in Houston last week. As we were leaving, we went under an overpass that probably had 200 people in tents, boxes, sleeping bags... It's getting bad down here... Every street corner seems to have people panhandling. Can't go to too many of the shopping stores without getting approached for money... 

I have a mentally ill step son, schizophrenia, and my wife and I have been trying to deal with it for about thirty years. I also have a daughter who suffers from depression if not bi-polar disorder. We have done everything in our power to help both of them. The current laws make it really difficult to get information from the people who treat them, if you can convince them to get help. My daughter has five kids who we love very much. We support them financially and have had them living with us at various times. The youngest is a five year old granddaughter who is the most precious thing to me. As much of a problem as this is from the outside, it is that much worse when you have to deal with it from the inside. As a country, we don't prioritize helping the mentally ill no matter how much lip service we pay to it. There was an article recently in the local paper about Jim Irsay's struggles with addiction and the family's problems with mental health. The point was that it is just as hard for wealthy, famous people as it is for the poor. It is not!

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It’s such a problem, but no politician will commit funds to help it seems. They all like to pay lip service, but when it comes to funding there seems to be no money. 

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I have a mentally ill step son, schizophrenia, and my wife and I have been trying to deal with it for about thirty years. I also have a daughter who suffers from depression if not bi-polar disorder. We have done everything in our power to help both of them. The current laws make it really difficult to get information from the people who treat them, if you can convince them to get help. My daughter has five kids who we love very much. We support them financially and have had them living with us at various times. The youngest is a five year old granddaughter who is the most precious thing to me. As much of a problem as this is from the outside, it is that much worse when you have to deal with it from the inside. As a country, we don't prioritize helping the mentally ill no matter how much lip service we pay to it. There was an article recently in the local paper about Jim Irsay's struggles with addiction and the family's problems with mental health. The point was that it is just as hard for wealthy, famous people as it is for the poor. It is not!

We really do not prioritize it beyond lip service after every mass shooting. 

I worked as a psych tech in the Navy and it was always so depressing seeing young people who were obviously struggling, but nothing beyond meds were ever offered. Our group and individual therapy was so regulated that people couldn’t get any sort of consistency. Which is the most important part. These folks were/are used to being abandoned. 

I’m so sorry to hear about your family’s struggles, but bless you for stepping up. That can’t be easy financially or mentally for you both. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s such a problem, but no politician will commit funds to help it seems. They all like to pay lip service, but when it comes to funding there seems to be no money. 

We really do not prioritize it beyond lip service after every mass shooting. 

I worked as a psych tech in the Navy and it was always so depressing seeing young people who were obviously struggling, but nothing beyond meds were ever offered. Our group and individual therapy was so regulated that people couldn’t get any sort of consistency. Which is the most important part. These folks were/are used to being abandoned. 

I’m so sorry to hear about your family’s struggles, but bless you for stepping up. That can’t be easy financially or mentally for you both. 

Also, a lot of people just want someone to listen. You can only go so long being blown off or dismissed/ignored before giving up trying to engage people entirely. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Appreciate your comments. It is difficult but it is also family. You don't love them less because they have an illness they didn't ask for or is no fault of their own. We have taken a twelve week support class and participated in local support groups and have learned so much about mental illness. It is truly misunderstood by the public. Sadly, nothing will change until our society quits treating the mentally ill as an inconvenient nuisance and starts treating them like human beings with value.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I'm sorry to hear that as well. My sister, who I think had some form of mental illness, burdened my Mom and Dad with many of the same issues. I was always bitter that they really never got to enjoy their later years because they were dealing with a lot of her stuff...

But I also admired what they did for her. They were not the kind that would ever turn their back on family, so they did what they could... As you're doing. 

Both of our children would be among those living under a bridge if not for us. We worry constantly about what will happen to them after we are gone. We are going to set up a trust that we will provide for them for a while, but we don't have the assets to take care of them for as long as they may need.

Like @Lostin76 said. Consistency is a major factor.  I never had that growing up. It's probably why I've been diagnosed with sensory overload disorder.  One of my sisters was a cutter. 

I can be like Bruce banner sometimes.  I don't turn green though. 

And it's probably why I value consistency so much. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, cthomas said:

Both of our children would be among those living under a bridge if not for us. We worry constantly about what will happen to them after we are gone. We are going to set up a trust that we will provide for them for a while, but we don't have the assets to take care of them for as long as they may need.

This is one of the things that get so upset about this issue. What are people w/o that family support supposed to do? There’s no safety net for them. Mentally ill homeless people are very out in the open here. We ride the trains with them every day and I feel so bad that they have little to no support. 

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Like @Lostin76 said. Consistency is a major factor.  I never had that growing up. It's probably why I've been diagnosed with sensory overload disorder.  One of my sisters was a cutter. 

I can be like Bruce banner sometimes.  I don't turn green though. 

And it's probably why I value consistency so much. 

I’ve got a bit of Bruce Banner in me as well. am pretty even keeled until I’m not. Got me into some rough situations as a youth and a few as adult. 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 6:01 PM, mrflynn03 said:

So the mall where a man with a ccw stopped a shooting, bans for a year, 3 people for carrying a ccw.  OK. 

Granted, the goofball who dropped his magazine needs to do better. 

Greenwood Park Mall bans 3 people for a year after carrying guns inside

100% support ccw…but absolutely believe the training for most associated with it is absolutely lacking. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 12:01 PM, Lostin76 said:

This is one of the things that get so upset about this issue. What are people w/o that family support supposed to do? There’s no safety net for them. Mentally ill homeless people are very out in the open here. We ride the trains with them every day and I feel so bad that they have little to no support. 

I’ve got a bit of Bruce Banner in me as well. am pretty even keeled until I’m not. Got me into some rough situations as a youth and a few as adult. 

I’m late to this convo and might be slightly off with where it is headed but I agree 100% that there is not enough resources in place for those mentally ill. There was a lot wrong with mental institutions and tons of abuse in them but honestly I think we threw out the baby with the bath water when the country by and large closed most of them. These are people that absolutely need help…don’t need to be on the street and are filling prisons and committing dangerous crimes endangering those around them that being institutionalized would absolutely be best for them and society. A terrible problem…and dangerous for them and those around them.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

100% support ccw…but absolutely believe the training for most associated with it is absolutely lacking. 

Yeah, I'm not on board at the moment with mandatory training but if you cant teach or yourself basic safety and how to use your weapon training is a smart choice. 

I grew up hunting and shooting. Learned in boy scouts and from people who learned growing up and who went through boot camp. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yeah, I'm not on board at the moment with mandatory training but if you cant teach or yourself basic safety and how to use your weapon training is a smart choice. 

I grew up hunting and shooting. Learned in boy scouts and from people who learned growing up and who went through boot camp. 

Well I grew up hunting too…everything from ducks and quail to turkey and deer but even that is completely different handling a gun and safety and even shooting to operating a handgun in public and how to handle and operate a handgun. It’s like I know how to drive a car and then me saying I also should be able to drive an 18 wheeler based on that knowledge. (I’d also say someone that can shoot a gun well at the range but never hunted the analogy is the same in reverse lol). 

But 100% people need to spend more time handling their weapons, practicing with them, and learning safety and laws etc around carrying before they are allowed a concealed carry. Not talking just to own it but to be carrying them around. Seen too many rubber stamp training for the fee.

Edited by dgambill

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well I grew up hunting too…everything from ducks and quail to turkey and deer but even that is completely different handling a gun and safety and even shooting to operating a handgun in public and how to handle and operate a handgun. It’s like I know how to drive a car and then me saying I also should be able to drive an 18 wheeler based on that knowledge. (I’d also say someone that can shoot a gun well at the range but never hunted the analogy is the same in reverse lol). 

But 100% people need to spend more time handling their weapons, practicing with them, and learning safety and laws etc around carrying before they are allowed a concealed carry. Not talking just to own it but to be carrying them around. Seen too many rubber stamp training for the fee.

Well, I do forget it is one of those things that comes easy to me now, and others aren't used to or have experience handling them. 

I like to practice static shooting but also half load mags to practice mag changes and set up multiple targets at different distances and run a course. I'll do rifle to handgun transitions and practice with different shooting positions with both. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well, I do forget it is one of those things that comes easy to me now, and others aren't used to or have experience handling them. 

I like to practice static shooting but also half load mags to practice mag changes and set up multiple targets at different distances and run a course. I'll do rifle to handgun transitions and practice with different shooting positions with both. 

You are a very experienced handler for sure. I think we both know the type of people I’m speaking of…and honestly I put myself in that category too. My time is so busy with kids and work etc I don’t spend nearly enough time at the range etc. would love more time to spend practicing like yourself. I just think most people are probably not self aware enough to realize they aren’t prepared or experienced nearly enough to be carrying…but I don’t blame them for doing it considering how crazy dangerous the world has become.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wouldn't post this except for the unbelievably ridiculous level of incompetence.

"Brennand, who had been on the force for less than one year, violated his training and police procedures after approaching the car, Campos said."

Texas police officer fired after shooting hamburger-eating teenager

But Brennand was quickly distracted by the parked car Cantu was sitting in. He claimed that the car evaded him the day before during an attempted traffic stop.

F#*king Barney Fife with bullets. 

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

F#*king Barney Fife with bullets. 

Pretty much. Totally ignored what he was even dispatched for. 

The kid was charged with evading police and aggravated assault but looks like they're wisely dropping that. 

Edited by mrflynn03