Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

A change of pace for this thread.

The best part of this 1-minute fireworks mishap is how the father keeps lecturing the kids about how they did it wrong. 

And how the guy in the chair grabs his beer instead of the baby.

Make sure sound is on for this one. 

Edited by Madison22
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

A change of pace for this thread.

The best part of this 1-minute fireworks mishap is how the father keeps lecturing the kids about how they did it wrong. 

Also impressive is how the guy in the chair keeps his beer instead of grabbing the baby.

Make sure sound is on for this one. 

The guy who realizes that a spark had gotten into the collection of fireworks is priceless... He stands there for a minute and holds his ears!  

Only when he feels the heat does the "run dummy!" section of his brain kick in... 

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2022 at 12:37 PM, Reacher said:

At a time when our Strategic Petroleum Reserve is at a 30 year low, we are sending oil to China. Why? 

https://news.yahoo.com/oil-u-reserves-head-overseas-110438513.html

Really shaking my head at this latest revelation. Now we know why.

https://freebeacon.com/national-security/biden-sold-a-million-barrels-from-us-strategic-petroleum-reserve-to-china-owned-gas-giant/

I know I'm bringing news here that could lead to political discussion so please refrain from any of that.

25 minutes ago, Reacher said:

https://freebeacon.com/national-security/biden-sold-a-million-barrels-from-us-strategic-petroleum-reserve-to-china-owned-gas-giant/

I know I'm bringing news here that could lead to political discussion so please refrain from any of that.

Very disappointing! The cost gasoline, combined with high inflation, hurts everyone. For the poor, It's devastating.

57 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Wow, 950,000 barrels sounds like a lot. How dare he? 

The article made me wonder about historical sales and a quick Google search led me to Forbes.

The following was from September 2020, when TFG was still in charge. 

“Relations between the United States and China may be near all-time lows, but the trading of energy commodities between the two powers remains active—at least for crude oil. Indeed, China’s imports of U.S. crude are expected reach a new high of about 900,000 barrels a day this month. According to Chinese customs data, China’s imports of US crude oil spiked to a record high of 867,000 barrels a day in July, up from 143,000 barrels a day in June.”

24 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Wow, 950,000 barrels sounds like a lot. How dare he? 

The article made me wonder about historical sales and a quick Google search led me to Forbes.

The following was from September 2020, when TFG was still in charge. 

“Relations between the United States and China may be near all-time lows, but the trading of energy commodities between the two powers remains active—at least for crude oil. Indeed, China’s imports of U.S. crude are expected reach a new high of about 900,000 barrels a day this month. According to Chinese customs data, China’s imports of US crude oil spiked to a record high of 867,000 barrels a day in July, up from 143,000 barrels a day in June.”

Unless things change it's 1 million barrels a day for 180 days. It's less about where it's going and more to do with it depleting the SPR. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Unless things change it's 1 million barrels a day for 180 days. It's less about where it's going and more to do with it depleting the SPR. 

I think its pretty easy to see how 1 can spin this either way depending on who you support. I will stay out of the fray but just taking a stab in the dark that if anyone complains about what any political party is doing, I bet a quick search will inform them that their party has done the same at some point. Just the way of the world. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think its pretty easy to see how 1 can spin this either way depending on who you support. I will stay out of the fray but just taking a stab in the dark that if anyone complains about what any political party is doing, I bet a quick search will inform them that their party has done the same at some point. Just the way of the world. 

I am in no way attempting to be political for the record. 

Just saying that is what I read as the most recent information available.  Point is, 1 million barrels a day is a fart in the wind compared to world daily consumption. Drawing down the SPR for no negligible effect on prices doesn't seem prudent. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I am in no way attempting to be political for the record. 

Just saying that is what I read as the most recent information available.  Point is, 1 million barrels a day is a fart in the wind compared to world daily consumption. Drawing down the SPR for no negligible effect on prices doesn't seem prudent. 

Me either. I agree that reserve amount is the issue but the narrative that the news is portraying is look what is going on today but the same thing was happening 2 years ago. 

An analogy like when I find out that a Purdue player get arrested or something like that and make a big deal about it only to be reminded that several Hoosiers have done the same. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Me either. I agree that reserve amount is the issue but the narrative that the news is portraying is look what is going on today but the same thing was happening 2 years ago. 

An analogy like when I find out that a Purdue player get arrested or something like that and make a big deal about it only to be reminded that several Hoosiers have done the same. 

Oh, well I don't actually watch the news.  If I find a topic of interest I will read stuff from multiple sources and find stuff like this for example. 

https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_operable_crude_oil_distillation_capacity

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-oil-refining-capacity-drops-2021-2d-straight-year-eia-2022-06-21/#:~:text=U.S. refining capacity has fallen,gasoline%2C diesel and jet fuel.

We probably don't have the refining capacity to accommodate the oil releases.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Will not fan any political flames. Will point out that 2 years ago Americans weren’t feeling the pressure at the pump that they are today 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Im just glad I only work 3 days a week and my commute is half of what it was 2 years ago. 

Saving grace for sure. This past trip to Maryland, our gas was actually more than our EZPass tolls. First time that’s ever happened. Of course that’s the only time we have to buy gas - when we drive there. Gas is always more expensive here, but I was surprised to see basically the same price in small town MD.

I just think people are not seeing the big picture often when they complain about an administration’s policies. As @Billingsley99stated above, it’s probably been done before. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Saving grace for sure. This past trip to Maryland, our gas was actually more than our EZPass tolls. First time that’s ever happened. Of course that’s the only time we have to buy gas - when we drive there. Gas is always more expensive here, but I was surprised to see basically the same price in small town MD.

I just think people are not seeing the big picture often when they complain about an administration’s policies. As @Billingsley99stated above, it’s probably been done before. 

Sometimes I wonder why I even pretend to care. I guess we are trained to try to be "informed".  I don't know what those peoples motivations are and nothing I will do will make a difference.  I guess it's just annoying that some of the most useless people society has to offer get elected to "leadership" positions. 

I'm just trying to focus most these days on reading books and watching videos of animals and people getting hit in the junk.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Sometimes I wonder why I even pretend to care. I guess we are trained to try to be "informed".  I don't know what those peoples motivations are and nothing I will do will make a difference.  I guess it's just annoying that some of the most useless people society has to offer get elected to "leadership" positions. 

I'm just trying to focus most these days on reading books and watching videos of animals and people getting hit in the junk.

I finally logged off of Twitter and it’s been a HUGE improvement in my life/attitude. Was so sick of both sides playing “gotcha” all damn day. I just started the six volume history of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Reading instead of scrolling on Twitter has been a godsend. 

• Like 2

It's one thing to export oil when we have an excess- like we did 2 years ago. We shouldn't be using our EMERGENCY reserves to help China ( who is already getting plenty from Russia) when we have a need here at home. I don't mind helping our European allies either but not from our reserves when we are at a 30 year low.  We shouldn't even be tapping the SPR, IMO.  It should be for wars and disasters, not high prices. If you read the article, you would have seen there is a personal relationship involved. That, IMO, is especially troubling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

The first photograph released by NASA from the new Webb telescope of galaxies never seen before is amazing.  The galaxy cluster appears as it did 4.6 billion years ago.  

Amazing that what we see in the sky may no longer be there. We are so caught up in our day to day lives that we have no perspective of the processes that occur over the span of time. I tried once to figure out what my lifespan would be in terms of the age of the earth. Math is not my strong point, but I came up with about a half of a second. Very humbling.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I tried once to figure out what my lifespan would be in terms of the age of the earth.

A museum visitor asked a guard when the dinosaurs died out. The guard answered sixty-five million years and two days ago.

The visitor asked how the guard could be so precise.

The guard said that he asked the chief curator the same question two days ago, and the curator said 65 million years.

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Amazing that what we see in the sky may no longer be there. We are so caught up in our day to day lives that we have no perspective of the processes that occur over the span of time. I tried once to figure out what my lifespan would be in terms of the age of the earth. Math is not my strong point, but I came up with about a half of a second. Very humbling.

NASA said, "This slice of the vast universe covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm's length by someone on the ground" when describing the photo.   That's hard to wrap your head around.

• Like 3