LF Gilbert/Mathison 

1B Fougerousse 

DH Vecrumba/Whalen/Ellis 

3B Goforth ? .... truly no clue here 

I was pretty close!! 

2B Doanes

SS Glasser

DH Ellis

1B Fougerousse (I have to look up how to spell this EVERY time I type it)

CF Whalen

RF Colopy

LF Mathison

3B Pyne (two Linton guys starting)

C Peter Serruto 

We did have some positives for the weekend. 

Carter Mathison, Brock Tibbitts, Josh Pyne, Grant Holderfield, and Ryan Kraft. Are all true FR and all played huge roles this weekend. Pyne started all three games at 3B, Mathison all three in LF, Tibbitts played over half the innings (played 1B, C, and DH), Holderfield and Kraft both pitched multiple innings. 

Luke Hayden and Evan Goforth also played some, as well. Oddly enough our 2nd highest rated recruit, Ryan Gilbert did not play. 

Whalen was great all weekend. Glasser and Doanes compete. Ellis looks the part, for sure. 

Outside of that- Sharp, Perkins, Stahl looked solid. Tucker didnt look bad. I mentioned the FR. Mudungo, Brehmer, Doran, and Bothwell are going to have to be better to significantly better. 

Fougerousse still continues to massively struggle and he might have lost some playing time. Colopy looked awful. Vecrumba drew a huge walk in game 3. He is just so raw. 

Anyways, I hope Brock Tibbitts finds a way to be a regular and we can squeeze some of Serruto and Fougerousse playing time. I think that way Gilbert or Vecrumba can DH, some. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We did have some positives for the weekend. 

Carter Mathison, Brock Tibbitts, Josh Pyne, Grant Holderfield, and Ryan Kraft. Are all true FR and all played huge roles this weekend. Pyne started all three games at 3B, Mathison all three in LF, Tibbitts played over half the innings (played 1B, C, and DH), Holderfield and Kraft both pitched multiple innings. 

Luke Hayden and Evan Goforth also played some, as well. Oddly enough our 2nd highest rated recruit, Ryan Gilbert did not play. 

Whalen was great all weekend. Glasser and Doanes compete. Ellis looks the part, for sure. 

Outside of that- Sharp, Perkins, Stahl looked solid. Tucker didnt look bad. I mentioned the FR. Mudungo, Brehmer, Doran, and Bothwell are going to have to be better to significantly better. 

Fougerousse still continues to massively struggle and he might have lost some playing time. Colopy looked awful. Vecrumba drew a huge walk in game 3. He is just so raw. 

Anyways, I hope Brock Tibbitts finds a way to be a regular and we can squeeze some of Serruto and Fougerousse playing time. I think that way Gilbert or Vecrumba can DH, some. 

Thanks for the write up. Will need to dive into our roster a bit more. Saw on twitter over the weekend Colson Montgomery reporting for White Sox....many I wish we could have had him just for a little bit.

I was also doing some planning to get down for a couple games later this Spring. Just an fyi to anyone. We host Nebraska at the exact same time as Little 500 starts on April 23rd...so plan accordingly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for the write up. Will need to dive into our roster a bit more. Saw on twitter over the weekend Colson Montgomery reporting for White Sox....many I wish we could have had him just for a little bit.

I was also doing some planning to get down for a couple games later this Spring. Just an fyi to anyone. We host Nebraska at the exact same time as Little 500 starts on April 23rd...so plan accordingly. 

Its unfortunate we didnt get him, I will say that losing the other two top 150 FR we had, hurt too though. We had 5 top 150 guys. Only 2 made it to campus, 2 went to the MLB and one bailed late and went to Bama(#1 player in IL).  

Other two guys were Ben Hess and TJ White. 

It's still a very good class because outside of those 5 guys are Carter Mathison and Brock Tibbitts. 

• Like 1

Lots of good opportunities for quality wins coming up.

- Obviously, Arkansas, Louisiana-Lafayette, and Stanford speak for themselves. These are big name programs and any wins over them would come on a neutral field (big for RPI).

- Don't sleep on Missouri State and Troy either. These names don't have the same cache as the teams IU will see next weekend but are excellent programs that regularly make it to the postseason. Plus, they are on the road too so any wins IU can squeeze there will be huge moving forward.

- Then throw in opportunities in the midweek against UK and Indiana State. I believe D1 baseball had ISU in their postseason projections.

Edited by Kendal22

Arkansas won 2 of 3 at home against Illinois State.

Lafayette took 2 of 3 at home against UC-Irvine.

Stanford took 2 of 3 from CS-Fullerton in Palo Alto.

Missouri State also took 2 of 3 from Central Arkansas.

The Troy Trojans swept 4 games at home against Holy Cross.

SOS looking good for IU early on.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just saw this online....now all we need is one more venue at IU to add beer sales. Haha....but this is another good addition. 

I feel like mask/covid delayed that? I certainly hope next basketball season beer is available. 

I know I will be buying 1-2 beers at each baseball game. I assume the sales will do well.  

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 12:40 PM, btownqb said:

My day has absolutely been made. 

Whatever perceived missteps the administration has made with regards to men's basketball, the opposite is true for the baseball program. They've created an excellent atmosphere, made tremendous coaching hires, and invested in facilities. No excuses for the fanbase to not be fired up about the direction of this program.

• Like 1

Just going to give a 10 game recap---

Obviously this season did not start how we wanted beginning 0-4. Since then we are 4-2 and won our first series this weekend. Hitting has been the bright spot, but when you dive into the pitching #s they are significantly better than what they show. 

First we have given up  67 earned runs this season, but 23 of those came in the first two games of the season. That is 44 runs in 8 games... which isn't good, but that drops our ERA from 7.12 to 5.5... again still not good, but huge difference. Then if you throw out Stanford (Top 5 team and miles ahead of us in practice time and what not).... our ERA sits at 4.42.... and that is basically where we have been since the first two games at Clemson, outside of the Stanford game. 

This weekend we gave up 16 earned runs, but 7 of those came in one inning and that's the only reason this wasn't a three game sweep. We dominated the other 26 innings at a score of 29-9 out of that one inning. 

We have absolutely seen improvement and we have seen back to back well pitched games from the Hoosiers to end the most recent series. 

Having said all that, no relapses and Sharp, Bothwell, Mudugno, and Stahl need to wake tf up, but we are "okay". Those 4 have thrown too many innings at this level to be struggling the way they are. Stahl didn't pitch this weekend... and Mudugno was really good expect for that previously mentioned inning... but Sharp and Bothwell still looked shaky. 

• Thanks 2