The 4th of July

Could be a blending of the two. It's becoming easier to find places that offer pyrotechnics training that count towards licensing. This allows individuals to purchase some of the bigger shells/balls for their own use.

I'm considering it for next year. Runs about $50 for the course and $50 for state licensing. 

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've talked to a couple of people who had the same impression...the Washington (Indiana) display didn't have the typical altitude.  From our vantage point, it was barely clearing the roofline.  Last year, seemed considerably higher from the same spot.

The private displays around us were pretty numerous though.

My go to fireworks store, the Ash family by Boggs is usually loaded, and he puts on a show same time as Boggs and is always better.  His store had nothing.  What he told me is he started placing orders last August but because of the supply chain disruption he was backordered.  But the big box stores got supply first. 

But the big stuff for commercial displays is sitting on ships outside the port of LA. 

I don't know, just what some dude who has been selling fireworks for 30+ years told me. 

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've talked to a couple of people who had the same impression...the Washington (Indiana) display didn't have the typical altitude.  From our vantage point, it was barely clearing the roofline.  Last year, seemed considerably higher from the same spot.

The private displays around us were pretty numerous though.

Used to watch the city park show from my uncle Morgans house down by the old Snack Shack. Pretty good view. 

Change of gears to the ultra small end of fireworks.....was lighting (or rather, trying to light) some sparklers for the kids and could not believe how hard those little bastards were to light.  I think I killed two spark sticks lighting 15-20 of them.  Is this the way they are nowadays (some kind of safety coating?) or is it just a bad batch?

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Change of gears to the ultra small end of fireworks.....was lighting (or rather, trying to light) some sparklers for the kids and could not believe how hard those little bastards were to light.  I think I killed two spark sticks lighting 15-20 of them.  Is this the way they are nowadays (some kind of safety coating?) or is it just a bad batch?

They are a pain. My wife made a great call and we brought out a candle to light them for the kids.