Tipping

IUFLA

Just wanted to see where my forum brethren stand on tipping...

Me? I have formulas...🤓

Sit down being served by a waiter=15% rounded to the (higher) dollar, then add one more (I like simple math). It can be higher, but the service has to go above and beyond (rare these days)

Food delivered (pizza)=15% rounded to the nearest dollar 

Picking up food = zero

Starbucks baristas= zero 

Valet parking= 3 bucks flat rate 

Hotel maid= 10 bucks a day given all on the day I depart 

Anyone else have tipping rules they live by?

Any time there is a line for a tip, I tip. It's just a mental thing for me.

Waiter: always 20+% Waitress, always 20, maybe 100 if they're good on the eyes.

Valet: normally 10 or 20 bucks so they don't go through all my belongings.

Pizza delivery: one of the options they give me on door dash, uber eats, etc.

Maid: whatever spare money I have in my pockets at the end of a trip. And the weed I don't want to fly home with.

I usually tip generously. If I have the money why the hell not. Being one of the best tippers in the local pubs = huge perks.

I wouldn't say it its a rule but I like to have the total bill end in a whole dollar. I used to be a 15% guy but over the last year find myself more in the 20% and up category. If a bill is $50.50 I would tip $10.50 to make the total $61. Probably goes back to the days of balancing a checkbook manually and trying to save myself some time.

One category you missed is bartenders. Depending on the place, and how many singles I have, it is either $1 or $2 / beer for me.

5 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Any time there is a line for a tip, I tip. It's just a mental thing for me.

Waiter: always 20+% Waitress, always 20, maybe 100 if they're good on the eyes.

Valet: normally 10 or 20 bucks so they don't go through all my belongings.

Pizza delivery: one of the options they give me on door dash, uber eats, etc.

Maid: whatever spare money I have in my pockets at the end of a trip. And the weed I don't want to fly home with.

I usually tip generously. If I have the money why the hell not. Being one of the best tippers in the local pubs = huge perks.

My wife is squeamish about strangers in our vehicles so we rarely valet. She lysols the vehicle every time I bring it back after servicing. Do you tip the valet in advance? Otherwise wouldn't it be too late to keep them from going through your stuff?

18 minutes ago, Reacher said:

One category you missed is bartenders. Depending on the place, and how many singles I have, it is either $1 or $2 / beer for me.

Nada....I'll be damned if I tip $1 or $2 for a $4 beer when all they do is pop the cap and set it in front of me.  Hell, who am I kidding...I don't go to bars to drink.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I generally tip more than necessary. I waited tables at the Tudor Room for 3 years while at IU....from that point forward I've always tipped on the high side. Especially this past year with Covid,etc...

Dinner the other night. Bill was $67. I said keep $20 for yourself and I'll take the change. The young lady came back out and said it made her night because she had 2-3 bad tables in a row. The way I look at it is 20% would be $13 but an extra $7 changed everything for her that day. 

Valets-depends on city but usually around $10.

Uber/Lyft-$3 or so....just depends on ride.

Coffee Baristas-if fast my change or a buck. 

Bartenders-Generally around 20-25%....or $1 per beer or so. Depends on my mood and if in I'm in a hurry when it's time to clean up the bill. 

Wrigley Field Beer Vendor. We grab our guy early. Give him $50 and say find us at least every other inning. Of course the beers there are $13 each so a round of 4 is $52....and about 4-5 rounds generally works out to be about 20%. We just like knowing we have our guy from the first inning on. 

• Like 1

I dont calculate percentage anymore. When I did it was based on pre tax amount. 

Now its $5 minimum dine in, delivery only. $5 for delivery never more. $5 dine in, more based on performance.

Too many variables, for example if I go to Dennys my order probably rings in around $15 but if I go to Longhorn Steakhouse about $50. Why should one server get more for doing the same job just because of menu pricing. 

I park my own car/truck. 

My only rule is cash tip only. Keep the taxman out of your pocket as much as possible. 

As an aside, I have not and will never pay a use tax for out of state or online purchases.  

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I generally tip more than necessary. I waited tables at the Tudor Room for 3 years while at IU....from that point forward I've always tipped on the high side. Especially this past year with Covid,etc...

Dinner the other night. Bill was $67. I said keep $20 for yourself and I'll take the change. The young lady came back out and said it made her night because she had 2-3 bad tables in a row. The way I look at it is 20% would be $13 but an extra $7 changed everything for her that day. 

Valets-depends on city but usually around $10.

Uber/Lyft-$3 or so....just depends on ride.

Coffee Baristas-if fast my change or a buck. 

Bartenders-Generally around 20-25%....or $1 per beer or so. Depends on my mood and if in I'm in a hurry when it's time to clean up the bill. 

Wrigley Field Beer Vendor. We grab our guy early. Give him $50 and say find us at least every other inning. Of course the beers there are $13 each so a round of 4 is $52....and about 4-5 rounds generally works out to be about 20%. We just like knowing we have our guy from the first inning on. 

I complain about tipping due to the awkward social interaction but like you tip on the higher side. 

Just got a Papa Johns in town and being lazy ordered delivery Friday night even though I could have went out and been back in less than 5 minutes. I got $10 off my order so tipped the delivery guy $10. The way I see it I was already going to spend that $10 so whatever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

My wife is squeamish about strangers in our vehicles so we rarely valet. She lysols the vehicle every time I bring it back after servicing. Do you tip the valet in advance? Otherwise wouldn't it be too late to keep them from going through your stuff?

That's funny. I worked with a guy who had an issue with people using his 2nd bathroom. He would plan days in advance for a visit from his inlaws. 2 days before their arrival, he would change the roll of toilet paper, and the day after departure, he would use rubber gloves to throw away (even an unused roll, because of possible fumes) the remaining roll.

He was a hoot to us welder rednecks. But he had a smokin hot wife, who (per his stories) always baked naked. Couldn't stand the flower getting on her cloths. Had to sew custom black out curtains. Damn she made great cinnamon rolls.      

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

I tip when I give them my car. My thought is....tip them well and they'll give me some respect.

But if the guy is a prick the guy is a prick. Not much I can do there.

It just helps my mental well being I guess.

You've never seen "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" have you? 

😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd class myself as a fair tipper...probably in the 20% range, but Flynn has a point...why should the tip be bigger simply because the menu is more expensive?  Sure, there are other factors to be considered, but if everything else is equal...especially the service, why does the local diner waitress get shorted?

...and I'm 100% with a couple of you guys...I hate valet parking and avoid it if possible/practical.  (1) it feels pretentious as hell and (2) my car is my private domain.  I don't like the idea of strangers in my private domain.  I'll gladly loan a vehicle to friends or family, but ixnay on the stranger driving my car unless it's being serviced.

• Like 1

20% baseline, 25% if it’s exceptional. On the downside, if I see my waiter/waitress actively f***ing around more than is reasonable, there is no percentage. I give $0.38 in as small of coins as I have. 

That way, there’s zero doubt. No, I’m not just being a cheap bastard, that’s the tip you earned. 

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

20% baseline, 25% if it’s exceptional. On the downside, if I see my waiter/waitress actively f***ing around more than is reasonable, there is no percentage. I give $0.38 in as small of coins as I have. 

That way, there’s zero doubt. No, I’m not just being a cheap bastard, that’s the tip you earned. 

I should probably qualify my earlier reply. I'll also be the first guy who doesn't tip in any service if someone isn't at the very least trying for it. I'll gladly say no dice and have a good one. Of course that's after the fact. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I should probably qualify my earlier reply. I'll also be the first guy who doesn't tip in any service if someone isn't at the very least trying for it. I'll gladly say no dice and have a good one. Of course that's after the fact. 

See, that’s why I intentionally leave a minuscule, borderline worthless tip if I’m not happy. No, I didn’t just forget. No, I’m not just one of these a***oles that doesn’t believe in tipping. This tip reflects the level of service you provided. 

And I don’t do that if the food isn’t cooked right or something else out of the servers’ control. If the kitchen is backed up, at least come out once and tell me that. Don’t just leave me sitting out there. 

• Like 1

I guess I just think 20%is pushing it...like I said, I go over 15% the vast majority of the time, and I always do tip at least 10% even if the service is terrible. Anyone can have a bad day. 

I do find myself going a bit higher when the meal is cheaper. We go to Katz's Deli a lot, and the bill is usually around $35, so I normally tip 6 bucks...

The only time I have a valet park my car is when we go to downtown Houston and you can't get a parking spot within 5 blocks of the restaurant. Walking 5 blocks in this heat and humidity would have me looking a mess. So, if you're going to force me, you're getting 3 bucks and the valet key goes with me.

We usually tip 20% dining out unless it is poor service.

Pizza delivery we usually tip $5.

I rarely go to bars anymore...but used to just "keep the change" on a $1.50 beer...so like .50 a beer. Then I would leave a dollar or two when leaving as well.

Pickup is where I feel like a fish out of water....I usually give a buck, but never know if I am one of the few who are actually tipping, or if I am being a cheap bastard??

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Pickup is where I feel like a fish out of water....I usually give a buck, but never know if I am one of the few who are actually tipping, or if I am being a cheap bastard??

I never tip when I have to go get the food.